Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  79
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hemi Powered SPEEDSTAR in the HOUSE!

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hemi Powered SPEEDSTAR in the HOUSE!

Got the Beta car in the garage to update it to the production body and glass.... this thing is a beast!!! stay tuned!

Last edited by Erik W. Treves; 12-16-2021 at 03:41 PM.
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We’ll be watching! ��

Henry

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Erik,

Do you think that windshield wipers will be on the list of upgrades for that car?
    Many states require them so I was wondering if it was on your list for update options.

Thanks-N-Advance!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Erik,

Do you think that windshield wipers will be on the list of upgrades for that car?
    Many states require them so I was wondering if it was on your list for update options.

Thanks-N-Advance!

Steve
    Hey Steve
    Wipers aren't even an option on the regular hotrod. However, Dan Ruth has a package he's put together, some have used mighty wiper, and there's a universal brand (can't remember off the top of my head) that works really well. Some put them in the cowl and some put them above the windshield.

For the Speedstar, it will be interesting to see if the final cowl design has changed to something more like the hot rod. From the pic above the hood is coming right up to the windshield and with the roof slammed there is questionable room above the windshield.

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

5. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Hey Steve
    Wipers aren't even an option on the regular hotrod. However, Dan Ruth has a package he's put together, some have used mighty wiper, and there's a universal brand (can't remember off the top of my head) that works really well. Some put them in the cowl and some put them above the windshield.

For the Speedstar, it will be interesting to see if the final cowl design has changed to something more like the hot rod. From the pic above the hood is coming right up to the windshield and with the roof slammed there is questionable room above the windshield.

Steve
    Thanks Steve,

My friend Dave just completed a 33 Hot Rod and had to install a 2-speed electric wiper to get the car to pass.
    It was a marine unit that clamped on the top of the window frame which was removed shortly after the inspection was completed.
    When he has to do the Annual Safety Inspection (A.S.I.), he plans to reinstall the sucker and then put it away until the following year.

Thanks Again!

7. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow. Keep us posted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That is a beautiful body shape. I am surprised that more Speedstars aren't being built.

I'll be following along on this one!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m a big fan of the Speedstar and have been working hard to convince Nancy that she likes it too When I worked the FFR display at the Street Rod Nationals this summer it generated a lot of interest and positive comments from the crowd.

Jeff

11. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have always been a fan of the Rat's Glass/Alloway roadster design and was very excited to learn that FFR was carrying on the platform with their advanced frame design underneath it all.

If only FFR would do a roadster version like the 33HR!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post

Steve
    Perhaps it might be possible to mount the wiper motor right into the hood?

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narly1 View Post
    Perhaps it might be possible to mount the wiper motor right into the hood?

Earl
    The hood hinges from the front. Theoretically I think the wipers could be mounted to the cowl that is under the rear edge of the hood and the hood could be cut out to clear the shafts. Me? I’d use Rain-X

Jeff

15. Likes RoadRacer, FF33rod, narly1, WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    the only "issue" with wipers +cowl is that there isn't a cowl on the speedstar - notice how the hood goes all the way to the windshield vs the HR that stops well short. So indeed you would need to hack up the hood to accommodate the wipers.

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

17. Likes narly1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The hood hinges from the front. Theoretically I think the wipers could be mounted to the cowl that is under the rear edge of the hood and the hood could be cut out to clear the shafts. Me? I’d use Rain-X

Jeff
    Aquapel FTW! I had a temporary wiper for the reg (in the end no one looked or cared, FWIW), and haven't missed them since. Aquapel works well enough to drive my 33 in thunderstorms
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Chief,
    My SpeedStar is on order, June 2022 delivery.
    5.7 Hemi and a TKO.
    Can you answer a question about the oil pan?
    FF recommends an aftermarket road race pan, will a rear sump not work?
    Is it a ground clearance issue?

Also, what is the ground clearance under the grille?
    Speedbump issues?
    Great looking car!!

Thanks Much!!
    Last edited by theidlemind; 12-16-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The speed bump question or answer is - it really depends - how low will you run your car? how big a speed bump? - at the book height this the where the grill lands - it basically has the same ground clearance as the 33 HR.

As far as the pan - it is a clearance issue - the pan they recommend put the pan even with the frame rail...

must be fall but you can just see the pan here:

21. Thanks theidlemind thanked for this post
    Likes theidlemind, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Work, before WORK this morning - just need to pull the doors off - and off to paint the panels we have and wait for the production body -

23. Likes FF33rod, theidlemind, Geoff H, shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My thinking was that the motor, arm and blade would all lift away with the hood, with the wiring running all the way to the front and back again.

Post Thanks / Like
    My thinking was that the motor, arm and blade would all lift away with the hood, with the wiring running all the way to the front and back again.
    you would need to make "pockets" in the cowl - and then a channel for motor and drive cable? not saying it's impossible but I think it would be a "mess" and make the hood pretty heavy?

might be better to "slot" the hood? ANyway - just thinking out loud - I have no intention of attempting anything like this on this one

26. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Erik,

I didnt know that Factory Five did push bikes....

Cheers, Nigel.
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    you would need to make "pockets" in the cowl - and then a channel for motor and drive cable? not saying it's impossible but I think it would be a "mess" and make the hood pretty heavy?

might be better to "slot" the hood? ANyway - just thinking out loud - I have no intention of attempting anything like this on this one
    Erik,

I don't disagree with your assessment.

Or perhaps mount the motor into the window frame/headliner I guess. But as mentioned previously there's not a lot of room for that. And it would look like crap in a roadster version.

Earl
    Last edited by narly1; 12-18-2021 at 04:46 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mounted my wiper with the motor shaft coming through the cowl and winshield frame, turned out great, also works great. Barely notice there is a wiper there.

Attachment 141680

Attachment 141681

Attachment 141682

Attachment 141683

Attachment 141684

Attachment 141686

Attachment 141747

Attachment 141748

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 33fromSD View Post
    Mounted my wiper with the motor shaft coming through the cowl and winshield frame, turned out great, also works great. Barely notice there is a wiper there.

Attachment 141680

Attachment 141681

Attachment 141682

Attachment 141683

Attachment 141684

Attachment 141686

Attachment 141747

Attachment 141748

Jim
    The difference though with the Speedstar is that the hood comes all the way back to the base of the windshield. It's one of the design elements that gives it it's smooth look.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Frankly, adding wipers to a Speedstar would be difficult but even more than that is that aesthetically it would border on criminal. And that’s all I have to say about that

Jeff

32. Likes narly1, FF33rod, Chris C, Cobradavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The difference though with the Speedstar is that the hood comes all the way back to the base of the windshield. It's one of the design elements that gives it it's smooth look.

Earl
    Ah, wasn't aware of that

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    All the more reason why I'm hoping for a roadster version. Clamp an el cheapo wiper arm/motor to the top of the windshield frame for the safety inspection then toss it.

Almost every interpretation of the original Speedstar design I've seen has been as a roadster, a few with soft tops.
    Last edited by narly1; 12-18-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Drill a hole thru the windshield and mount one of those manual wipers if you have to have one to pass inspection. Then remove it and put a plug on the hole.
    That’s what I’m doing on my 33, but using a single speed motor mounted inside the top part of the roof. We need a wiper to pass inspection.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    Drill a hole thru the windshield and mount one of those manual wipers if you have to have one to pass inspection. Then remove it and put a plug on the hole.
    That’s what I’m doing on my 33, but using a single speed motor mounted inside the top part of the roof. We need a wiper to pass inspection.
    The concern is that the chopped roofline of the Speedstar leaves little room for a wiper motor.

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

38. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
    Likes theidlemind liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep those updates coming when you can Erik.

Thanks,

Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    First few parts coming out of the paint booth - still needs cut and buff....lol....

41. Likes RoadRacer, theidlemind, Geoff H, WIS89, HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Erik W. Treves;479793]First few parts coming out of the paint booth - still needs cut and buff....lol....
    It looks to me like you've got a bunch of mirrors laying around your shop.........
    That depth!

Post Thanks / Like
    Progress pictures?

Also, Is the Hemi AC compressor on there?
    Will it fit? The Factory Five Hemi fitment .pdf doesn't mention that.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    The main body is going into primer hopefully next week - really just waiting on that. There are no side windows or AC in the car. I did take the Grill up to western Tennessee to get chromed so that is was a step backwards... should start going back together some time by the end of the month.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey
    I’m building a 33, 6.4 Hemi , TKX 5 speed with A/C, using Restomod AC system. I have the Road race pan so it will above the frame, I went with CVF serpentine system with compressor on right and Alternator on left. I have not received the Hemi install kit yet? I picked up my kit November. Waiting on a lot of parts, Good to see some Hemi builds!!
    Pat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick update - the single picture does quite cover how much work it takes to get the body prep'd to take a black gloss paint job - but it is nice to see all the main areas covered and the filler finally laid in nice and smooth....now to let it sit in the sun for a bit....

47. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Likes WIS89, j33ptj, narly1, shmelty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I take it that the body and roof are one piece?

Just curious....

Post Thanks / Like
    yes

50. Likes j33ptj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well it has taken another month to get to this point - getting the body laser straight to accept the black paint was a critical step!! But after about 5 rounds of blocking - lost track - I think we finally got there... my painter also bonded the entire dash section into the body and smoothed it out so it's one continuous piece! The interior is also already finished and painted as are the interior jams ... all gloss black.....

Here we are yesterday at around noon:

and then around 11pm last night right out of the paint booth

52. Likes FF33rod, JimLev, BadAsp427, shmelty, WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wow!!! We’ll done

Post Thanks / Like
    Start re-assembly today... got to shop around 9am this morning and put a good 8 hours into the car today - the painters were still buffing parts but we figured out how to get keep out of each others way... this is just the first pass with the cut and buff - no polish yet.... It should be pretty sicko when done...

55. Thanks WIS89 thanked for this post
    Likes WIS89, narly1 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast