FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Aftermarket alternatives

Post Thanks / Like

Aftermarket alternatives

Being in Canada, there are a few parts we have to source ourselves (FactoryFive has fortunately set up vendors that have packages that give us everything to get to the complete kit, so it's not too bad). However, this also opens up the possibility of getting (potentially better) alternatives.

EDIT: The engine is 347 with a TKX transmission. The rear-end is IRS. Going with 15" wheels.

For the following, those of you who've built before, do you suggest just getting the FactoryFive option or are there better alternatives?

Front Lower Control Arms
    Front Spindle Set + hubs
    Power Steering Kit

11" Front Brake Kit
    Roadster 11.65" IRS Rear Brakes
    E-Brake Handle

9.25" 31 Spline Roadster Drive Shaft
    2015 IRS Completion Pack
    2015 IRS 3.55 Center Section, spindles, hubs

Wilwood Pedal Box and Hardware

Polyurethane Engine/Trans Mounts 302/351
    Accelerator Pedal

Fuel Tank Kit (opportunity to get a bigger tank?)

Thanks all
    Last edited by zee; 01-05-2022 at 11:49 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're going with the 302, right? If so, I can't speak for anything but the accelerator pedal: get the one from Russ Thompson. His website is currently down, so send him an email at [email protected].

If you're going with the Coyote, you're locked in to that motor's drive-by-wire pedal.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post
    You're going with the 302, right? If so, I can't speak for anything but the accelerator pedal: get the one from Russ Thompson. His website is currently down, so send him an email at [email protected].

John
    Thanks John. Is this the one: https://www.breezeautomotive.com/shop/gas-pedal-kit/

Post Thanks / Like
    My responses from your list. Don't know that any or necessarily "better" but are available elsewhere.

Front Lower Control Arms FF
    Front Spindle Set + hubs Spindles = FF (unless you use donor, which I'd recommend against). Hubs = SN95 Mustang. Widely available.
    Power Steering Kit Lots of options depending on engine. PS rack = Fox body Mustang

11" Front Brake Kit 2015+ Mustang or Wilwood
    Roadster 11.65" IRS Rear Brakes 2015+ Mustang or Wilwood
    E-Brake Handle Fox or SN95 e-brake handle or Lokar

9.25" 31 Spline Roadster Drive Shaft Options for custom
    2015 IRS Completion Pack Not sure what this is
    2015 IRS 3.55 Center Section, spindles, hubs Ford Performance catalog items

Wilwood Pedal Box and Hardware Should be available from supplier of Wilwood parts

Polyurethane Engine/Trans Mounts 302/351 Standard Energy Suspension catalog items
    Accelerator Pedal Recommend Russ Thompson as already stated
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    My responses from your list.
    Thank you! Have gone through your build threads many times .

I also added that I have to order the fuel tank kit separately from FF. So that's another option where I can look for alternatives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zee View Post
    Thank you! Have gone through your build threads many times .

I also added that I have to order the fuel tank kit separately from FF. So that's another option where I can look for alternatives.
    Cool. Standard Fox body Mustang tank.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the 2015 IRS Completion Pack is all of the FFR-supplied parts needed to marry the Ford IRS center section and hubs/carriers to the frame (that is common to all axle types). Suspension arms, center section to frame mounting bracket, and custom length half shafts being the main components.

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd’s Welding produces an aluminum tank that fits the Mk4. You’ll gain about 4 gallons over the OEM Fox body tank, it will not allow you to do a drop trunk storage area and it’s pretty pricey but it is an alternative.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narly1 View Post
    I believe the 2015 IRS Completion Pack is all of the FFR-supplied parts needed to marry the Ford IRS center section and hubs/carriers to the frame (that is common to all axle types). Suspension arms, center section to frame mounting bracket, and custom length half shafts being the main components.
    Appears this is a Canada kit completion thing. The "Ordering-Roadster-Canada-Parts" document on Factory Five's website lists "16042 For IRS" to complete the rear suspension. Doesn't list the contents. But the IRS option for the Canadian kit is listed as $1,899. For the rest of us, the IRS option is $2,799 and includes everything. So makes sense.

BTW, for IRS the frame is configured to directly accept the 2015+ Mustang center section. There isn't a separate bracket. The spindles, hubs, and CV axles mount into the upper and lower control arms which also have their attachment points as part of the IRS chassis. Overall a very different setup than the solid axle chassis.

10. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
    Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Be real careful on the rear brakes. I did an IRS retrofit and was running the usual 17 inch Bullit wheels. I had accumulated 3 sets of wheels over the years and one set would not clear the OE brakes. I had bought my IRS stuff from a salvage yard and was sure to get one w/ the brakes. So getting brakes to fit inside 15 inch wheels may be a problem.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep; that's it.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Appears this is a Canada kit completion thing. The "Ordering-Roadster-Canada-Parts" document on Factory Five's website lists "16042 For IRS" to complete the rear suspension. Doesn't list the contents. But the IRS option for the Canadian kit is listed as $1,899. For the rest of us, the IRS option is $2,799 and includes everything. So makes sense.

BTW, for IRS the frame is configured to directly accept the 2015+ Mustang center section. There isn't a separate bracket. The spindles, hubs, and CV axles mount into the upper and lower control arms which also have their attachment points as part of the IRS chassis. Overall a very different setup than the solid axle chassis.
    Thanks for clarifying. A fellow Canadian FFR'er had sent me a list of parts that cames in his IRS completion kit and I was going by memory.

The important point is that it's a sole-source item from Factory Five and thus only available to us Canadians through FFR authorized suppliers.

Earl
    Last edited by narly1; 01-06-2022 at 12:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zee when you ordered the Canadian kit did you not select 302/351 motor mounts on the order form?

I'm sending an email to FFR today regarding the timeline to get ffr spindles and from control arms UP/LW.
    If the timeline isn't good there are thousands of these cars running fox and sn95 spindles.
    10 years after my roadster build....
    289 FIA (pickup 28/08/20 if covid permits)
    currently building a 289 and accumulating parts needed to finish a Canadian Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaFFRer View Post
    Zee when you ordered the Canadian kit did you not select 302/351 motor mounts on the order form?

I'm sending an email to FFR today regarding the timeline to get ffr spindles and from control arms UP/LW.
    If the timeline isn't good there are thousands of these cars running fox and sn95 spindles.
    Good catch, I am not sure why they're added again. Let me confirm!

Post Thanks / Like
    Being in Canada, there are a few parts we have to source ourselves (FactoryFive has fortunately set up vendors that have packages that give us everything to get to the complete kit, so it's not too bad). However, this also opens up the possibility of getting (potentially better) alternatives.

EDIT: The engine is 347 with a TKX transmission. The rear-end is IRS. Going with 15" wheels.

For the following, those of you who've built before, do you suggest just getting the FactoryFive option or are there better alternatives?

Front Lower Control Arms
    Front Spindle Set + hubs
    Power Steering Kit

11" Front Brake Kit
    Roadster 11.65" IRS Rear Brakes
    E-Brake Handle

9.25" 31 Spline Roadster Drive Shaft
    2015 IRS Completion Pack
    2015 IRS 3.55 Center Section, spindles, hubs

Wilwood Pedal Box and Hardware

Polyurethane Engine/Trans Mounts 302/351
    Accelerator Pedal

Fuel Tank Kit (opportunity to get a bigger tank?)

Thanks all
    Hey friend!

I'm also in Canada, but I'm building a Coupe!

Me and a few other members are using 4-piston Brembo front brakes off a 2013+ Cadillac ATS. If you're interested I can provide you with all the information on the adapter kit and what to buy off RockAuto!

I'm just getting started on my build so that's about all I have. I will say though that the Canadian IRS Completion Pack is necessary, but the center section, spindles, and hubs can be found from a donor Mustang or brand new from Ford.

You can also buy a Tilton pedalbox instead of a Wilwood one.

Have you contacted Ryan Valin yet? He's able to walk you through a lot of this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm65 View Post
    Me and a few other members are using 4-piston Brembo front brakes off a 2013+ Cadillac ATS. If you're interested I can provide you with all the information on the adapter kit and what to buy off RockAuto!
    Hey, I wouldn't mind learning more about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I wouldn't mind learning more about it.
    The kit is made for an SN95 and is made by S&S Engineering. They have a Facebook page. It uses 2013+ Cadillac ATS calipers and a 97 (I think, S&S will be able to tell you) Cobra 13" rotor. All in around $500CAD for the entire setup, which in my opinion is a great price for some 4 piston Brembos!
    Building JDM-inspired Coupe
    Gen3 Coupe #299 - Custom BMW M5 ITB, Gen1 Coyote, TKX, IRS. Recieved 5/18/2021
    Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm65 View Post
    The kit is made for an SN95 and is made by S&S Engineering. They have a Facebook page. It uses 2013+ Cadillac ATS calipers and a 97 (I think, S&S will be able to tell you) Cobra 13" rotor. All in around $500CAD for the entire setup, which in my opinion is a great price for some 4 piston Brembos!
    Thanks. Did you have to do any modifications to make it fit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Zee, if you want 15 inch tires you are going to have to have 11 inch rotors or smaller. With the caliper, there is no room for anything bigger inside the wheels.
    Make a build plan. Make notes beside restricting items, (such as wheel and tire preference), that effect other parts, (such as brakes), so that you don't end up buying incompatible parts.

Note, shipping parts from FFR to Canada is very expensive. Remember, you can only cross the border with the basic kit in order to comply with the Transport Canada restrictions. Everything else will have to be picked up later or shipped. The extra fees on shipping (customs and brokerage) can double the price of parts. Much more economical to source some common items locally. Rock Auto is a good source for items that are expensive locally and their shipping rates are much more reasonable.
    The picture is the fuel tank you need available at your local Canadian Tire for the price indicated.

HTH

Norm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mk4 base kit 7721, 331 Stroker, Holley Sniper EFI, Wipers, Heater, Whitby Soft Top, Drop trunk mod and more

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm B View Post
    Zee, if you want 15 inch tires you are going to have to have 11 inch rotors or smaller. With the caliper, there is no room for anything bigger inside the wheels.
    Make a build plan. Make notes beside restricting items, (such as wheel and tire preference), that effect other parts, (such as brakes), so that you don't end up buying incompatible parts.

Note, shipping parts from FFR to Canada is very expensive. Remember, you can only cross the border with the basic kit in order to comply with the Transport Canada restrictions. Everything else will have to be picked up later or shipped. The extra fees on shipping (customs and brokerage) can double the price of parts. Much more economical to source some common items locally. Rock Auto is a good source for items that are expensive locally and their shipping rates are much more reasonable.
    The picture is the fuel tank you need available at your local Canadian Tire for the price indicated.

HTH

Norm
    That's a great tip.

Fortunately I live close to the border. I am picking up the base kit and driving it myself. The rest of the parts I plan to have shipped somewhere near the border.

My preference, however, is to source parts locally.

I also really want the 15" wheels but it seems like there are exactly 3 set of rubbers i can get for those! I might be forced into 17" .

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a great tip.

Fortunately I live close to the border. I am picking up the base kit and driving it myself. The rest of the parts I plan to have shipped somewhere near the border.

My preference, however, is to source parts locally.

I also really want the 15" wheels but it seems like there are exactly 3 set of rubbers i can get for those! I might be forced into 17" .
    Let me know what you need, I'm just outside of Windsor and have some stuff from when I was collecting for my build.
    MK4 #11012 picked up 04/16/24
    351W, 3 link, single roll bar
    MK4 #10616 picked up 4/10/23
    302w, 4 link, 17's, dual roll bar SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiggyMK4#9579 View Post
    Let me know what you need, I'm just outside of Windsor and have some stuff from when I was collecting for my build.
    PM'ed you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zee, I'm so envious of you. I too want to build a MKIV, but I have to prepare the house for it as I have no garage, only a carport. That being said, I think I will follow you closely and let you prepare me for what comes. Great choices for originality and looks.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    hows the build coming, looking for some visual and technical input
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneyCreekCobra View Post
    Zee, I'm so envious of you. I too want to build a MKIV, but I have to prepare the house for it as I have no garage, only a carport. That being said, I think I will follow you closely and let you prepare me for what comes. Great choices for originality and looks.
    John
    My first cobra began in a townhouse with a single car garage. The wife had been bothering me for years for a bigger house.

After attempting to prep the donor I gave her the nod to look for a bigger house

The next day she signed the deal. I heat the garage, minus 20 outside, plus 20 inside.

Place your order
    currently building a 289 and accumulating parts needed to finish a Canadian Kit.

27. Likes StoneyCreekCobra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Zee, Gordon Levy has a run of bullet front control arms about to drop.

Not much more than an FFR set and a great improvement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OttawaFFRer View Post
    Zee, Gordon Levy has a run of bullet front control arms about to drop.

Not much more than an FFR set and a great improvement.
    Thanks for the heads up, gave him a call :-).

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going with his rear control arms also, but I'm running the 3 link.

Post Thanks / Like
    OttawaFFRer, please do not tempt me, would LOVE nothing more than a REAL shop in a garage. LOL but too close to retirement to comfortably pull the trigger

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneyCreekCobra View Post
    I too want to build a MKIV, but I have to prepare the house for it as I have no garage, only a carport.
    John
    Hi John, I wanted to divide my 2-car garage by building a wall between bays so I only needed to heat half of it. I ended up using 2 x 1" styrofoam sheets that came with vapour barrier film on one side and foil on the other. I then edge banded them with steel studs. Some tin snip work and pop rivets made the corner joints. Used red Tuck tape to seal the joint between foam sheets and the studs. I then made a U-channel out of 1 x2's and 3's that I screwed to the ceiling. On the floor side they are just a friction fit. I cut the panels slightly short for height and then put some shims underneath for a tight fit top and bottom. More Tuck tape between the top and bottom tracks and panel to panel to seal everything up. So one side of my garage is now cozy with a 2000 watt ceiling fan heater. All in all it was a cheap solution, cost me about $150 CAD to do.

So thinking you could maybe wall in your car port in a similar fashion, you'd probably have to do something more on the exposed side though...

Earl

33. Thanks StoneyCreekCobra thanked for this post
    Likes StoneyCreekCobra liked this post