Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: Jom's Type '65 Coupe kick-off

Post Thanks / Like

Jom's Type '65 Coupe kick-off

Hello everyone, another Quebecer here embarking on the journey of putting a '65 Coupe on the road. Pulled the trigger November 3rd last year, for a pickup date of June 4, 2022.

Mechanical engineer by training, I’ve been working in aerospace manufacturing for 15 years. In the past 10 years, with the help of a friend, I have learnt to repair various things on the three cars we now have in the driveway, mostly used to provide taxi services for our sons as I work from home a lot.

The same friend suggested building Cobra’s, and when I had a look at the Factory Five website, it was not the roadster that interested me, but the Coupe that got me hooked. We visited Factory Five in September 2019, and I have since remodeled my single car garage to make room for the project.

I am planning to complete the build in three years or so, as I’m really not retired yet. Starting from the Canadian kit with IRS, I plan to power it with a used Coyote and use a TKX transmission. I am considering the BOIG single side pipes (if they will still be available), and as ‘custom’ features to include real side windows (power or manual) as well as a dash with fewer ‘straight lines’.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness as others have said!
    Where are you located?
    I’m between Quebec City and Baie Saint-Paul.
    Bienvenue!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank-you so much. It may not be so easy in Quebec, but it can be done! A colleague of mine built an MK4 roadster and is driving it with pleasure.
    I'm located on the south shore. Do you know how many Coupe have been started in Quebec?

Here are some more details of what I have in the planning.

My order
    50020 Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe - Base Kit (Canada)
    60743 Powder coated chassis - Black
    60510 Coupe GPS Metric Gauges (km/h)
    60330 Body with all cut-outs traced
    60380 2015 Mustang-based Independent Rear Suspension Kit
    14613 Electrical System Completion Components
    26041 Coupe Fog Lights
    60372 Coupe Nose Scoops, 1 Off-Set Hood Scoop & 2 Small Footbox Vents
    60821 Coupe Black Carpet Kit
    15760 14” Leather Steering Wheel Upgrade
    60831 Gen 3 Coupe Floormat
    16863 Coyote Installation Kit
    12453 Battery cut-off switch

Completion package (yet to order)
    60378 A/C - Heater - Defroster for Coyote
    60458 Coupe Complete Completion Pack
    60375 31 spline driveshaft for 5.0L Coyote and 2015 IRS
    14865 Vintage Halibrand Replica Wheels, 17” X 9” Front and 17” X 10.5” Rear
    16042 2015 IRS Completion Pack
    16473 5.0L Coyote power steering kit
    15540 Coyote Engine and transmission mounts
    16116 Front Swaybar
    Donor parts
    Coyote engine (Mustang, maybe F150)
    Mustang rear end for pumpkin spindles and brakes
    Other supplies
    TKX transmission
    Ford Control Pack, Moroso oil pan/pickup
    Boig quiet side pipes
    Corbeau LG1 seats (to be confirmed)
    Schroth Rallye Cross 4-point harness, with pads, blue
    BRE Coupe mirrors
    Window wipers, sun shades, Christmas lights TBD

For the TKX, it seems the TCET17765 would work well with a 3.55 (for 2200 RPM @ 70MPH), similarly the TCET18085 would work well with a 3.31 (also 2200RPM).
    Does anyone have tips for good places in Eastern Canada to source these donor parts?

4. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and welcome! Mechanical engineers and building cars (especially Daytona Coupes) seem to go hand in hand don't they?
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats & welcome - the Daytona group is very fun! I'm doing a similar build...

Chris
    Last edited by cgundermann; 01-23-2022 at 06:06 PM.
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank-you Chris, and I read your comments on the 'grand touring'. I've sat in the MK4 roadster, and I love the leg room on the coupe. I'm going to look and try out some seats before ordering what I have on the list. I have tried all the seats at F5, and lumbar support is a must for me, for that reason I'm looking elsewhere. If anyone has tips for good seats with lumbar support, please shout out!

8. Likes cgundermann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Look at EdwardB's Daytona build and check out his choice of seats. I'm hoping they will work for me. I'm over 6-1 and all legs and I've learned you do lose legroom with better/more comfortable seat choices.

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Deldiablo,
    Maybe Ryan Valin could give you information about places concerning the donor parts you're looking for.
    He's been a good source of address for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Chris,

I've indeed seen the build thread of legendary EdwardB, he is using the Evolution X with fixed back, 22.5" depth, 36.5" height and 2.5" base height.

An Ontario neighbor, SingleMaltWSKY, has used the LG1 seat (I believe wide/deep version, +1.5") with some frame modding in the GEN2 coupe.
    The standard LG1 measures 22.0" deep, 33.0" high but has a base height of 3.5", and adjustable recline.

I'm 6' but have long legs, and I've tried the GEN3 at the factory which was equipped with Kirkey high backs that time. Once you are in, there is in fact a lot of room.
    That said I will be mocking up the interior before ordering those seats. By law, I will require seat rails for depth adjustment, that will add another 1".

12. Likes cgundermann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Deldiablo,

I'm also a mechanical engineer working in aerospace (Mirabel) and I'm considering the Daytona. When you receive your kit, if you're open to it, I'd would like to see it and have a feel for it. My project might be too much (I'd like to do a Daytona with an electric powertrain) and looking at the frame might be enough to get me to reconsider (or more likely get me more commited to the project).

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alroue,
    If you’re willing a trip to Quebec City my Daytona is at the paint shop there.
    Just saying…
    But the frame might not be visible as if just received from the factory that’s for sure.
    Last edited by UpNorth; 02-03-2022 at 12:44 PM. Reason: More info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
    If you’re willing a trip to Quebec City my Daytona is at the paint shop there.
    I'm definitely interested to see it and also discuss registration challenges. I'm in a crunch at work this month but I would like to discuss it with you March.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats and welcome! Happy to see more Canadians with Coupes
    Building JDM-inspired Coupe
    Gen3 Coupe #299 - Custom BMW M5 ITB, Gen1 Coyote, TKX, IRS. Recieved 5/18/2021
    Alberta, Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I have decided to not go ahead with my build, at least not at this time ☹ Our home will have to be satisfied with the 1:6 Lego variant built over the holiday period…. It's got a V-10 though !

@ Alroue, you can have a look at the F5 website and of course just get the assembly manual of the coupe. You should call the SAAQ to discuss what you want to do. Building the kit exactly as F5 puts it together is not acceptable in Quebec, you need to have all the lights/reflectors of modern cars, no Simpson seat belts, and perhaps a few details more.

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3748.jpg