FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  185
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike in Texas FFR Roadster Build - Assembly, Going in the Right Direction

Post Thanks / Like
    Impressive stuff! Probably no need to mention, but go lightly on the alternator belt tension. I imagine, that is your logic in running a cog belt.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Small update, got my final invoice and sent in the payment today. The ship date is slowly creeping up on me!
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

3. Likes Fman, Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mike-

You need to share the details on that cog set-up! I really like the way that looks. Of course, it is completely unnecessary, but it still looks cool! ;-o)

I rewatched that 1/4 midget video, and that Bray special did pretty good!

If I had access to a machine like that growing up, my parents would never have gotten me out of it!!

Hang tight, the kit is on its way soon!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Mike-

You need to share the details on that cog set-up! I really like the way that looks. Of course, it is completely unnecessary, but it still looks cool! ;-o)
    The timing belt drive started out as a simple thing and that got out of control! I had done a couple on street rods years ago and liked the cool factor. I ran across a setup from Speedmaster and ordered it. https://www.speedmaster79.com/shop?keywords=PCE415.1004

Then I bought an alternator bracket kit. https://www.speedmaster79.com/Ford-S...t-Kit-Polished

I had to make a few small modifications to the spacers to get everything to line up and I went with a shorter belt to tuck the alternator up closer but all was good.

Then, after talking to a few owners and doing a lot of research I decided to add power steering to my build. I didn't want to give up the cog drive so had to engineer a solution. I went with the little GM pump that uses a remote reservoir https://www.cvfracing.com/gm-type-ii...steering-pump/ and a V-rib belt to drive it. Had to make brackets from scratch and design a special water pump pulley.

In the end I think it's okay but not really for the feint of heart lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    I rewatched that 1/4 midget video, and that Bray special did pretty good!

If I had access to a machine like that growing up, my parents would never have gotten me out of it!!
    I know what you're saying, when I was a kid I almost wore the pictures we had of those quarter midgets from looking at them so much! I pretty much never forgave my father for getting rid of them before I could drive them.

Interesting tidbit of information. I raced karts a few years ago so learned quite a bit about them. The quarter midgets were around in the mid 50's, first in California and then in Dallas when the Frito guys built some here. Also in California a man named Livingston was working for Frank Kurtis building the famous Kurtis Kraft midget cars when he came across some McCulloch chainsaw engines. Using some tubing at the shop he built the first actual go-kart and even termed the name. That was in 1959. So the little quarter midgets actually pre-dated go karts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm down to less than a week from my due date. Everything is finalized and paid for, just patently waiting on Factory Five and Stewart Transportation. This week I picked up the TKX transmission and ordered about $3K of Breeze parts which are starting to trickle in. With that everything is bought and paid for except for tires, paint, and some small stuff. Looking at my bank account it's going to be awhile before we have jelly to go with our peanut butter.

Started fitting the Tilton hydraulic throwout bearing and ran into a problem, the threaded sleeve isn't long enough. Pulled the bell housing off, took a bunch of measurements, some research including this forum, and found I'm not the first to have this issue. So looks like I'll be making a spacer for the threaded sleeve.

Also took time to build a frame dolly.

Hopefully my next update is my kit being delivered!

Post Thanks / Like
    Things are all starting to come together for you... You will like those casters you put on the frame dolly...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

9. Likes Mike.Bray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike, make sure you get done quickly so I can buy that dolly from you ;-). My kit is scheduled for December. I'll need to shoot over there some time... it's looking great!

Terry in Flower Mound

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OB6 View Post
    Hey Mike, make sure you get done quickly so I can buy that dolly from you ;-). My kit is scheduled for December. I'll need to shoot over there some time... it's looking great!

Terry in Flower Mound
    Okay it's got your name on it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Bray View Post
    Okay it's got your name on it!
    Happy to help whenever you need a hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scheduled to be picked up next week!

14. Likes Anonymoose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kit is scheduled to be picked up by Stewart next week so spent today getting ready for it's arrival. Disconnected the engine from the test stand and moved everything out of the way. Swept and cleaned the floor and garage.

Drivetrain ready to go.

Got the work area cleared and the dolly in place.

Now just waiting.

16. Likes CaptB, Jim Frahm, Ted G, 460.465USMC, Windsor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to watching you build Mike! Your day is coming... I can't believe it has been over a month since I got my delivery. Some days I think the build is going so fast, and other feel like this will take years. I love it though. I found once you get your kit, the build you planned in your head goes awry. POL list is the main reason, but I am finding that logically, the build manual is just a guide.
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike that Borla stack looks absolutely amazing. Definitely one of those car-meet "let me open my hood" engines!
    Mk4 Roadster: Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, T56 Magnum. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, if the rest of the build is as beautiful as that engine, it is going to be AWESOME!!!

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto on the motor and rear end! They look fantastic! Excited for you to get your delivery...Mr. Bean says it all.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

21. Likes Mike.Bray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kit is scheduled to be picked up by Stewart next week so spent today getting ready for it's arrival. Disconnected the engine from the test stand and moved everything out of the way. Swept and cleaned the floor and garage.

Drivetrain ready to go.

Got the work area cleared and the dolly in place.

Now just waiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    Ditto on the motor and rear end! They look fantastic! Excited for you to get your delivery...Mr. Bean says it all.
    Chris,

I suggest we go with this engine next time!

23. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The big day finally arrived! It's been a long 8 months but the big truck pulled up to my house.

My POL list wasn't that bad, 23 items mostly hardware and things I don't need. Bad news is there's a couple of show stoppers for the front and rear suspension. Went through the inventory and sublimated my list of missing items to FFR. A little disappointed in how many parts were checked off as being shipped but weren't.

I understand why FFR builds the kits and sub-assemblies the way they do but I've got a pretty sizable pile of brand new parts I'm not going to use. It would be nice if they submitted a BOM a couple of months before shipment so I could have deleted what I didn't need. For example, I've for a complete set of front hubs, rotors, and calipers which I don't need since I already have Wilwoods.

Now the fun begins!

25. Likes CaptB, JB in NOVA, Springsyeti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The big day finally arrived! It's been a long 8 months but the big truck pulled up to my house.

My POL list wasn't that bad, 23 items mostly hardware and things I don't need. Bad news is there's a couple of show stoppers for the front and rear suspension. Went through the inventory and sublimated my list of missing items to FFR. A little disappointed in how many parts were checked off as being shipped but weren't.

I understand why FFR builds the kits and sub-assemblies the way they do but I've got a pretty sizable pile of brand new parts I'm not going to use. It would be nice if they submitted a BOM a couple of months before shipment so I could have deleted what I didn't need. For example, I've for a complete set of front hubs, rotors, and calipers which I don't need since I already have Wilwoods.

Now the fun begins!
    Hi Mike,

I actually deleted my front brakes before my shipment. I think they gave me a $200 credit. I also deleted headers and side pipes ($70 & $200) and steering rack ($100) and dash gauges ($375). Good luck with your build. I am held up on going roller because of front suspension parts (2), IRS parts (4), steering components (3). But I got my carbon dash this week, so I may start on that layout.

Ted

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted G View Post
    Hi Mike,

I actually deleted my front brakes before my shipment. I think they gave me a $200 credit. I also deleted headers and side pipes ($70 & $200) and steering rack ($100) and dash gauges ($375). Good luck with your build. I am held up on going roller because of front suspension parts (2), IRS parts (4), steering components (3). But I got my carbon dash this week, so I may start on that layout.

Ted
    Thanks for that Ted. My order has been so confusing as I've got the pin drive front suspension which they only recently started offering again. This setup evidently has special lower control arms and uses 87-04 Mustang spindles. Originally they told me I needed:

14507 OEM Front Spindles
    13242 Pin Drive Front Suspension
    12508 Pin Drive Lower Control Arms

I deleted 14507 as I already have a set of spindles ready to go. But on my POL they're calling out 14507 which is spindles, hubs, and other small items. 13242 is on my order but not on my inventory or POL and I have no idea what it includes. I hope it includes the spindle adapters I need.

On the good news front I did already receive a reply to my email about missing inventory items promising they will get them shipped out to me.

28. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So far I've received the following POL items since my delivery:

• Windshield (not needed yet)
    • Various nut and bolts (not the ones I need yet)
    • Radiator hoses
    • Carbon dash
    • Roll bar (not needed or using, going with Breeze)
    • Front ball upper ball joints, UCA's, gas cap, hood and trunk struts, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Mike and welcome to the fun.

Post Thanks / Like

On the good news front I did already receive a reply to my email about missing inventory items promising they will get them shipped out to me.
    I hope you have better luck than I did with the MIK items. It took a few months but they did show up. I think I was talking to the wrong department.

I had a page and a half of POL items. They are all here except two items. Not bad considering the supply issues. There are so many things you can work on that working around missing parts is not an issue.

I'm looking forward to your build!
    Last edited by Jim Frahm; 06-18-2022 at 09:55 PM. Reason: Sounded like I was complaining. Corrected that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on delivery, Mike! Exciting day. Looks like the same driver that delivered mine. Really friendly and helpful guy! Looking forward to your next progress posts.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Body is off the chassis and stored. Wish I had a foot or two more ceiling height but my wife seems pretty attached to the gameroom upstairs

Chassis is ready to strip the aluminum off and take the panels to be clear anodized.

34. Likes Anonymoose liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't work on Fridays so with the holiday I had a nice long weekend to work on my newly delivered kit. Separated out all of the parts I'm not going to use and took them to storage. Then took about 100 pictures of the aluminum before stripping it off. Planning on taking a load to the anodize shop tomorrow.

Now down to the bare frame.

Started assembling the front suspension and steering rack using the Breeze centering kit which worked great by the way. FFR says my lower control arms are in assembly so I'm about as far as I can go on the front suspension for now.

Next I got the pedal assembly put together, mounted, and master cylinders installed and adjusted. In the interest of complete overkill I'm running hard lines from the reservoirs to the MC.

Also got the steering shaft assembled but the top pillow block bearing is on the POL list. Not going to wait on that so I've ordered one from McMaster.

I'd like to get the rear end mounted but FFR didn't pack one of the traction lock brackets for the solid axle. Supposedly they are going to ship one out to me this week.

36. Likes Tooth liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mike. Following your build. Your motor is sweeeet. I am beginning to figure our how to hang a body from the ceiling. What is the dodad thing with the rope that has the pulley on it? Does it have a built in ratchet brake? Best of luck with your build. Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmosrcool View Post
    Hi Mike. Following your build. Your motor is sweeeet. I am beginning to figure our how to hang a body from the ceiling. What is the dodad thing with the rope that has the pulley on it? Does it have a built in ratchet brake? Best of luck with your build. Tom
    Those are Gambrel hoists, you can get them anywhere. They're like a small block & tackle hoist. I tied the ropes off with a boat dock deal and then added a clamp for extra insurance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike -- looking good, and I like the hard lines to the reservoirs. Where are you having your panels anodized?

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are Gambrel hoists, you can get them anywhere. They're like a small block & tackle hoist. I tied the ropes off with a boat dock deal and then added a clamp for extra insurance.
    ahh. ok. I see them. Used for hunting and hanging animals. In looking at that, I found a ratching version made by TieBoss. 3oolbs and has 15' of rope. $22. It has an S hook on one end I'd replace with a carabiner. A few of those and I think i'd be in business. Thx for the info. You put me on the right track. Tom

41. Likes Mike.Bray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OB6 View Post
    Where are you having your panels anodized?
    TPW Metal Finishing in Grand Prairie. I've been using them in my work for years, very good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got some good news from FFR this week, my MIK list has shipped complete and FedEx says I should have it tomorrow. With it I can finish the rear end and get it installed.

Had a little time this afternoon to work and got some small items checked off.

Pedals and steering shafts are finished. The steering hub is at Russ Thompson's getting modified for his turn signal setup.

Hung the brake fluid reservoir with care and finished the supply lines to the master cylinders.

Going to work on the dash some tonight and hopefully tomorrow I can get the rear end installed in the chassis.

Post Thanks / Like
    My MIK list arrived complete late yesterday so was able to get the rear end mounted this weekend. It's good as another forward step but also got it out of the floor and my way. Ran into a small problem with the e-brake bracket interfering with the coilover but figured out an easy fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    My POL list isn't bad at all, there's actually only about 4 items that are holding me up from getting a rolling chassis. And still waiting on the anodizer to finish my aluminum so kind of searching for things to keep moving forward with. Since I got the MIK parts in I was able to get the rear end mounted so thought I would go ahead and tackle the E-Stopp emergency brake system. A big shout out to John K for the inspiration for how I ended up doing it.

Designed and fabricated a mount for the E-Stopp to put it over the rear end. There's a formed aluminum channel that's riveted to the frame. A separate stainless steel plate is bolted to this channel and it has flat head screws welded from the back side. The E-Stopp unit bolts to this plate so removing four nuts allows it to drop down for service/replace.

It's a little bit of a tight fit but it fits and works.

And the test. Yay!

46. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Mike. Check your pedals. Depending on your shoe size, many find more room if you move your clutch and brake pedals all the way to the left-most position.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really nice upgrade on the e-brake, Mike! I really like how you put it all together.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    Depending on your shoe size, many find more room if you move your clutch and brake pedals all the way to the left-most position.
    No issue there, I don't have big feet. But thanks for looking out for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    E-Stopp Emergency Brake installation Gen II

I wasn't happy with the e-brake setup so I decided to redo it. The cables were too close the the wheels/tires and the cable routing was not so great. I shifted the unit in its mount down and over towards the PS to make routing the cables into it easier.

Next I made new cable brackets for the Wilwood brake kit. The issue is I've got a narrowed 8.8" rear end so the brakes are closer to the coilovers.

This is just a cool picture of one of my wheels.

Starting installing the Russ Thompson turn signal kit. This is a very well engineered and quality unit!

And finally I received a big batch of aluminum panels back from the anodize shop this afternoon so I can get busy on that! Hopefully it carries me thru to my first POL shipment.

51. Likes Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not much to update. Started on the PS footbox and floor since I got a batch of panels back from the anodizer.

Post Thanks / Like
    And got the brake and clutch lines in the footbox finished up. All of the hard lines are stainless steel with 37 degree AN fittings. To get from the cockpit to the outside I'm using bulkhead fittings.

54. Likes Ted G, 460.465USMC, toadster, Springsyeti liked this post
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast