BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Kirk Seats issue

Post Thanks / Like

Kirk Seats issue

Are they supposed to sit at a slight angle? Our client wanted the seat track for adjustment, but the only way for it to work is at an angle. the steering wheel and petals are offset slightly so the seat kind of lines up with them

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, The seats are angled. They sorta follow the transmission tunnel.
    Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1855 View Post
    Yup, The seats are angled. They sorta follow the transmission tunnel.
    Jim
    Ok Thanks Jim.. I thought maybe so

Post Thanks / Like
    I recommend that you make sure the client is informed that the Kirkey seat is designed to be used with a brace in the back, so will be significantly compromised if mounted with tracks and no brace. Fine if that's what they want, so long as all are aware.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    I recommend that you make sure the client is informed that the Kirkey seat is designed to be used with a brace in the back, so will be significantly compromised if mounted with tracks and no brace. Fine if that's what they want, so long as all are aware.
    Precisely! The backs are pretty floppy without the rear mount, which is not compatible with tracks.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    If your client wants that style of seat, consider the Ultrashield cobra bucket. I'm using them on my build, and they are very rigid and don't require any sort of rear mount.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Precisely! The backs are pretty floppy without the rear mount, which is not compatible with tracks.

Jeff
    I put tracks under my Kirkeys and made 2 aluminum spacers that I bolt in for the back support depending on if I am driving or my wife is driving. It's cumbersome but not terrible. Better then unbolting the seat completely to switch drivers.
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Kirkey 65 Series seats, their seat mounts, and Sparco seat tracks. Will build some form of adjustable back brace. No expectations that it will be real convenient.
    From what I've seen the Ultrashield seats are very good.
    Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    If your client wants that style of seat, consider the Ultrashield cobra bucket. I'm using them on my build, and they are very rigid and don't require any sort of rear mount.
    Never heard of Ultra Shield before. They look nice. Much nicer upholstery that Kirkey. Please send photos of your car when you get them installed.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, the stock upholstery is nicer than what comes on the Kirkey's but I did have them reupholstered in leather. They're not permanently installed yet, but you can see what they look like reupholstered in leather here.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike, Jeff, John, and the others that have responded-

Can you tell me a little more about the brace that you are supposed to use on the low back Kirkey's?

I have a set, although not installed, and I had not been made aware of the need for a brace in the back.

Thanks in advance; and as always I appreciate y'all and your guidance and assistance!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WIS89 View Post
    Mike, Jeff, John, and the others that have responded-

Can you tell me a little more about the brace that you are supposed to use on the low back Kirkey's?

I have a set, although not installed, and I had not been made aware of the need for a brace in the back.

Thanks in advance; and as always I appreciate y'all and your guidance and assistance!!

Regards,

Steve
    Steve,

Here is the mount:

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product...65-SERIES-SEAT

And the installation guide:

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/images/...ide%281%29.pdf

Although I confess that when I have installed Kirkeys I have used the floor brackets but fabricated the rear mounts (50 bucks seems a little salty )

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I have high back racing seats, but that concept is the same.
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Steve,

Here is the mount:

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/product...65-SERIES-SEAT

And the installation guide:

https://www.kirkeyracing.com/images/...ide%281%29.pdf

Although I confess that when I have installed Kirkeys I have used the floor brackets but fabricated the rear mounts (50 bucks seems a little salty )

Jeff
    Jeff-

Thanks for the quick response, and all the good info! I like the idea of fabricating my own mounts; I may have to give that a go myself!

I appreciate the assist -- again!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a comment/question on the Kirkey's being "floppy".
    I have the newer 65 Series seats. These are a 2-piece with a seat & back that is bolted together and adjustable for height. Kirkey has also added a formed angle/corner braces that wrap from the side to the back. I don't believe that this was part of the earlier 47 Series seats.
    I do know that Kirkey recommends the back brace and will fabricate and install something but have yet to understand where the seats are lacking support or strength.
    Insight appreciated.
    Jim