Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  58
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experienced Owners--How Will I Keep Myself Alive and the Car Intact?

Post Thanks / Like

Experienced Owners--How Will I Keep Myself Alive and the Car Intact?

I'm in the middle of my build and enjoying the heck out of it. When I get to actually drive it, how can I stay out of trouble? I'm 62, an experienced driver with track days in other cars, and my hot-rodding on the street is next to nil at this point. I intend to respect the over-powered, 90" wheelbase 2300# car in the same way I did when I owned a motorcycle, but none-the-less in searching through the forum it seems that I won't be able to misstep at all without the possibility of dire consequences. I know I have to be smooth with inputs, respect the road/tires/temperatures--but what else? FWIW I will have the staggered 18" wheels/tires, Wilwood brakes and the engine is a 351W/427--good for +/- 500hp depending on the exhaust.
    Thanks in advance; perhaps there's a link to a thread someone can point me to since this is far from a new topic. Finally, what tires are forgiving, and should I install a front bar to further encourage understeer?

Brian, San Jose, CA

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CP82AERO View Post

How Will I Keep Myself Alive and the Car Intact?
    Just Drive Carefully & Don't Do Stupid Stuff!

3. Likes NAZ, FF33rod, cnutting, Cobradavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post

Speaking from (recent) experience ?

Use a rev limiter to begin with like Godad did!
    Last edited by Just puttering; 03-23-2022 at 07:59 PM.
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

5. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Likes GoDadGo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    Speaking from (recent) experience ?
    I didn't crash, just wagged the tale of the dog a bit.

7. Likes CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Honestly not that bad if you respect it. I have no more than a beer out if I am driving the Cobra, alcohol more than anything will get you in trouble with these beasts.

Ties...I run R888R and they are amazingly sticky.

9. Likes nucjd19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The advice I got from an HPDE instructor was "go easy on the gas".
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

11. Likes Cobradavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even if you don't intend to track the car, it's the best place to learn to drive these cars safely.
    MkII: 408 Dart block dry sump, 750cfm carb, G-Force T-5, 8.8 rear with 3.55 gears, 3-link, Kirkey seats, black ceramic coated twister mufflers with shields and adjustable turn down tips, passenger roll bar, front and rear roll bars. 2020 GT500 Magnetic metallic, with white and lime green stripes.

13. Likes WIS89 liked this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sage advice!

And as mentioned above, learning how far you can push your car on a closed course is far safer than on the street. You will never learn the limits until you reach them and doing that on an autocross course set-up on a large parking lot is much more forgiving than a freeway ramp or industrial street on a weekend like we did when we were teenagers. And if you get a driving instructor to ride along that's a great way to start.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

15. Likes WIS89, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Proper set up and respect.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

17. Likes NAZ, Cobradavid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I printed and posted the following on my shop bulletin board. I go back and reread it from time to time

http://https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?9926-A-few-reminders-to-all-owners-amp-a-good-read-for-soon-to-be-s
    Last edited by txboiler; 03-23-2022 at 08:43 PM.
    Mk IV 9968 complete kit, 3 Link, PS, 15” Halibrand, Wilwood Brakes
    Blue Print 347, TKO600

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...358#post446358

Post Thanks / Like
    I always have mixed feelings about these kinds of threads. I agree wholeheartedly that you need to have the car set up properly and drive it with the proper respect. Things can go bad in a hurry if you don't. But having said that, I'm betting you will be surprised how nicely it drives. I've told this story several times. I had never driven one of these cars until I completed my first build. A Mk3 10+ years ago. I had read enough of these threads that I was convinced it was going to take every bit of my amateur driving skills to keep the thing on the road and not jumping off into a tree somewhere. I was pleasantly surprised to find a well mannered and solid driving car that wasn't hard at all to drive. Granted, get crazy with the right pedal and things change. Especially if you aren't pointed straight ahead. So respect it and if you do no reason to be afraid of it.

One other hint. I'm an extremely defensive driver anyway. But when I'm driving one of these, even more so. People will get right up behind or next to you to get a look. They're small and low so sometimes people don't see you. It's not just you to be worried about.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-23-2022 at 09:38 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone needs to know their limits.

And to learn those limits, start going to your local auto-crosses.....

learn the limits of both yourself and the car, and at the same time, have fun doing it.
    MK2 #3319.... On the road since 2002 with a lot of upgrades

21. Likes Alan_C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    As many have indicated, learn to work the gas pedal. Smooth and easy. I wouldn't restrict RPM, I'd build in a throttle stop and planning to do so on my build. It's not the RPM that gets you it's the instantaneous torque of a full throttle application, restricting the throttle is the key. Even then you can use full throttle if applied smoothly but it usually helps to have the wheels pointed straight ahead.

Good tires and being mindful of temperatures. Then there's rain, requiring a whole different set of tire parameters and driving techniques. Location dependent, if you're going to drive the car, sooner or later you're going to get wet.

Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Shown below is best safety item that is installed on my car:

https://www.holley.com/products/igni...s/parts/8727CT

Just know you can't use this particular limiter unless you are running an HEI style distributor.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-23-2022 at 10:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had never driven a Cobra before my build, have 3k miles on the car now. The best advice I ever got with these cars is drive them like a motorcycle. I have had street bikes before and you must drive defensively like people can't see you and are going to hit you. These are not safe cars it is the reality of them. Always respect the car and don't do anything crazy.
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tire recommendation!

Post Thanks / Like
    ...thanks for all your suggestions whether equipment, track experience or attitude. I live near ThunderHill and have some experience with this forgiving venue but might seek out a beginners group that has an instructor in the car and a ramp up to higher speeds as the day progresses.
    Also, I'll be running a Holley Sniper EFI and so hopefully that translates into smooth, linear throttle responses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Derald Rice View Post

learn the limits of both yourself and the car, and at the same time, have fun doing it.
    Winner, winner. Track days may have their place but IMHO autocross is much better. You can get it sideways, spin it out, etc and have no injury to you or the car. You will definetely learn how to launch off the line too. All for <$50.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

28. Likes WIS89, RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    While I'm not yet an experienced Cobra owner, I have been a motorcyclist for almost 25 years and my plan is to treat the Cobra like I do a powerful motorcycle.

My current motorcycle is a 2000 Hayabusa. If that doesn't fix the speed lust, nothing will. I use it to tame the beast, which should keep my Cobra shenanigans at bay. Time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Winner, winner. Track days may have their place but IMHO autocross is much better. You can get it sideways, spin it out, etc and have no injury to you or the car. You will definetely learn how to launch off the line too. All for <$50.
    Absolutely. I've said many times the only way to know the limit (be it you or the vehicle) is to find and exceed it---IN A SAFE ENVIRONMENT! Besides that you'll have all sorts of fun

Jeff

31. Likes WIS89, RoadRacer, Scneal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Derald Rice View Post

Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Absolutely. I've said many times the only way to know the limit (be it you or the vehicle) is to find and exceed it---IN A SAFE ENVIRONMENT! Besides that you'll have all sorts of fun

Jeff
    + another

One of the first things *most people* need to learn is you can't get the car crossed up and then step completely off the throttle.

Most of the time that results in a snap spin that is catastrophic out on the big road.

These cars settle down nicely with a little leading throttle - they get out of hand really quick engine braking in a corner or recovering from slightly sideways - faster than you can say oops.

Best place to learn it - 2nd gear in an autocross.

Know the limits, or do not come close to approaching the limits.

These cars can make things happen real fast.
    Last edited by mike223; 03-24-2022 at 09:17 AM.

33. Likes WIS89, johnnybgoode liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would agree to starting with auto-x, but for me it doesn't replicate the "feel" of the car in traffic. Now, I've smashed my cones, spun on course etc., but have spun on track as well. I tend to drive my capabilities and not the cars only out of respect and have lots of fun doing it while being in a closed environment with other vehicles.
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Start out by pretending there's an egg between your foot and the gas pedal. Best advice I ever heard.
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    you'll learn at what point the wheels want to break loose at heavy acceleration. Burn that into your brain. Of course things change with cold, wet conditions, but that was the first limitation I respected. Spend some time in a big parking lot breaking the back end loose and working on oversteer. The rubber you'll burn is well worth the investment.
    Oh, and try your best to avoid Joe Mustang wanting to race you at every stop light. I get way more enjoyment giving him/her the head shake when they give you that "lets go" look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Youre in San Jose, no reason to buy anything other than the best performance tires money can buy such as Toyo R888R or similar. You can get away with a lot more on good tires, you will find that you have to be doing something really really dumb or that it is cold/wet out (wet in san jose? yeah right) to get in trouble on a tire like that.

For me doing autocross was almost a double edged sword. I found out that I was actually taking it pretty easy on the street compared to how mind bending the lateral grip actually is. I still definitely recommend it, but maybe if you are on good tires try to keep it to how you were driving before finding out how good the car really is.

You can also option the engine control to be compatible with traction control, that obviously is a nice benefit if youre looking to keep the pointy end forward

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CP82AERO View Post
    ...thanks for all your suggestions whether equipment, track experience or attitude. I live near ThunderHill and have some experience with this forgiving venue but might seek out a beginners group that has an instructor in the car and a ramp up to higher speeds as the day progresses.
    Also, I'll be running a Holley Sniper EFI and so hopefully that translates into smooth, linear throttle responses.
    I took my car out to ThunderHill last year on a beginner track day on the 4.8 mile loop, awesome experience and very fun to open up the car and start learning the handling. You cant get that experience driving around the streets. Definitely would highly recommend anyone doing this, great experience and definitely feel like I am a better driver with the car now. I was able to get up 110+ on the straights and was pleasantly surprised how stable the car felt at this speed. Hoping to get out there again this fall.
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe I am just a wuss but all these comments about know your limit and the cars limit are fine and good but I would suspect a good many of us (myself included) dont even approach the limit during normal street driving. Now is you are spending time on a track that is a different discussion. IF you are exceeding the limit on public roads you are probably driving like an irresponsible A-hole in the first place. I find it very easy to operate the car in a manner that provides a great deal of fun, without approaching the cars limit. The easiest rule to live by is dont get to deep into the throttle until you are pointed in a straight line. As Paul mentioned above some of these threads are overblown a bit and you might be surprised how the car behaves. Of course I am 6 years and 11,000 miles into mine so it is easy to say that now and I was certainly more apprehensive at first.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

40. Likes J R Jones, cnutting, GoDadGo, Norm B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I spent a bunch of time making sure I had smooth predictable progressive throttle operation. The last thing you want is an on/off switch. I also added a throttle stop under the pedal to avoid jamming the butterflies and tried several sets of return springs to get the feel I wanted. I also made sure I was comfortable in the car and all of the controls were where I wanted them. I swapped out the stock seats for a set of Kirkey low backs which hold me in the car much better than the stockers. The foot boxes on these cars are quite small and it's easy to get your feet hung up between the clutch and brake, I only have size 10.5 feet but with the small space, I either drive in my bare feet or in thin water shoes. A dead pedal is also a good idea. On the power side, you can always take a few degrees of initial timing out of your 427W and/or leave the stock heavier springs in the MDS distributor to slow down the advance curve until you get used to the car/motor. It will take a bit of time and trial and error but once you get the car set up the way you want, it will be a joy to drive. My 2 cents. Scott
    Last edited by johnnybgoode; 03-24-2022 at 01:13 PM.
    FFR #3870 MK II, Spectra Blue/Arctic White, 1974 414W, 10:1, Eagle 4340 crank and rods, KB Pistons, Ported Performer RPM 2.02 heads & intake, QFT SS-650, Comp XR282HR, Quality Roadsters pan, Crane ignition, TKO600, 3.55 gears, 3 link, SA QA1's, Breeze LCA's, Heim joints & VPM F/R bars, Power steering with Hiedts valve, Power brakes, Fortes bump steer kit, 5 bolt axels, SSBC rear brakes, Oil cooler, Pusher fans, Halibrand Cobra III's with Nitto NT555 G2 245/285/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post

IF you are exceeding the limit on public roads you are probably driving like an irresponsible A-hole in the first place.
    Somewhat agreed - but a lot of people have gotten into trouble simply failing to recognize the possibility that they were a little short of traction (moist/cool on/off ramps come to mind), the rear steps out, they step off the gas - instant catastrophe - you're pointed backwards (at a minimum).

I feel certain they weren't all driving like irresponsible A-holes.

More likely oblivious to the hazard, symptoms, and proper corrective driver input.

Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Of course I am 6 years and 11,000 miles into mine so it is easy to say that now and I was certainly more apprehensive at first.
    A healthy dose of apprehension never hurt anybody in one of these cars.

43. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You do not have to fear these cars(respect yes)! If set up properly they can be driven easily. Get the stickiest tires you can and drive with proper shoes so your feet don't get tangled in the pedals. That's the most common problem I've seen with new drivers. As others have said, drive with awareness just as you would on a motorcycle.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

45. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A quote I found to be true "You can’t be afraid of it or else timidity will prevent you from taking the decisive action necessary to stay out of trouble" Agree AutoX & a empty Big Box parking lot are good places to feel out the car.

Run almost daily when the weather is over 45*F & dry. Tires are NITTO NT-01 275X40ZRX17 - 315X35ZRX17
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-24-2022 at 11:57 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

47. Likes Andrew Davis, GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for all of these great tips--hardware, techniques and attitudes--this forum rocks.

Post Thanks / Like
    i know there is a lot of talk about what to do if/when the rear end breaks loose. We've all seen those videos on YouTube where it gets squirrely and the back end starts whipping back and forth and they're into a curb or tree. The "rule" is to not let off the throttle completely and steer into the skid. I don't know if any of you have been in this predicament, but your natural reaction IS NOT to stay on the throttle. That would be a great thing to practice, if you think about it. Between the butt pucker and you're life flashing in front of your eyes, that's a tough one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaCobra View Post
    The "rule" is to not let off the throttle completely and steer into the skid. Your natural reaction IS NOT to stay on the throttle.
    You Mean Like This Fellow:
    https://youtu.be/sYRN70r7Zrc
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-25-2022 at 10:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You Mean Like This Fellow:
    https://youtu.be/sYRN70r7Zrc
    I was thinking I saw somewhere that crash was caused by a rear lower control arm failure.

I forget the manufacturer of the kit - but if memory serves it used BMW IRS components?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaCobra View Post
    i know there is a lot of talk about what to do if/when the rear end breaks loose. We've all seen those videos on YouTube where it gets squirrely and the back end starts whipping back and forth and they're into a curb or tree. The "rule" is to not let off the throttle completely and steer into the skid. I don't know if any of you have been in this predicament, but your natural reaction IS NOT to stay on the throttle. That would be a great thing to practice, if you think about it. Between the butt pucker and you're life flashing in front of your eyes, that's a tough one.
    This is one of the better videos: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ5leWLp65I
    Complete novice who doesn't know what he's doing.
    MKIV with BPE 347 & TKX. IRS. A crap ton of mods.
    Build thread

53. Likes k-roy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have about 500 miles on mine so far with far less experience than the above posters. So this is only my opinion. So far my experience is it has been very tame and enjoyable at normal road speeds. It tracks beautifully through corners and tracks straight as an arrow down the road. I will not be pushing this rig until it is a controlled environment ( auto cross or track day ) and even then I plan on having an instructor with me. Having the forte mechanical throttle linkage is a god send as well allow very precise and adjustable throttle inputs. Anyway, awesome posts already made with great recommendations.
    FFR MK4 Roadster (9945) complete kit, delivered 12/4/2020, First start and go kart 5/7/2021. Legal 8/14/2021, Paint finished 7/18/2022 (Viking Blue). 347BPE CI, TKO600, Moser 8.8 3link 3.55, Halibrand 17x9 17x10.5, power steering. Carbon Fiber Dash. Carbon Fiber trans tunnel, adjustable Kirkey Lowback Vintage seats, Vintage gauges, RT drop trunk mod, FFmetal drop battery mod and trans tunnel, Forte front sway bar. Forte mechanical throttle linkage, RT gas pedal. www.covespringsfarm.com

55. Likes Fman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mike223 View Post
    I was thinking I saw somewhere that crash was caused by a rear lower control arm failure.

I forget the manufacturer of the kit - but if memory serves it used BMW IRS components?

Back Draft Cobras Use BMW Suspension Components:
    I believe this is the video of which you speak:

https://youtu.be/CQkqkOwuqac
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 03-25-2022 at 08:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to obsess over mustang crash videos... Determined to figure out what the reason so many wreck. I knows it's inexperience , but in particular, it's the gear change. They are so eager to show off by keeping it going they change gears. It's that gear change that ruins 3/4ths of them. Either from the brief increase in traction between gears, or the increased lack of it with the higher wheel speed after the change.

Post Thanks / Like
    I keep myself in check with a Stock 302 and a 3.08 rear end. The best way I know how to stay out of trouble. There's been many a time that I've dropped a gear and surged past someone to then realize THAT was the moment I would have "lost it" if I had a more powerful car. People say that they know their limitations, but I know mine too. I'm not smart enough to drive a powerful car.
    I don't take on challenges, and I don't "keep up" when others are hot doggin'. I just go.

Get out there and enjoy yourself
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

59. Likes phileas_fogg liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast