Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Potential tragedy for NAZ

Post Thanks / Like

Potential tragedy for NAZ

Many members recognize a senior member with vast technical experience, NAZ in Flagstaff AZ. Remarkably he contributed on the Forum just this morning.

National news recently is noting a wild fire in the Flagstaff area and I know that Richard lives in a rural area. I wrote to him this morning (off Forum) and despite all the chaos and danger, he got back to me.
    I hope that he does not mind my sharing:

We got out with three of our nine or ten vehicles and one trailer thanks to friends. USFS dropped the ball again. Let a small contained fire from Sunday get away from them in high winds on Tuesday due to lack of oversight and then didn’t alert CCSO until it was near the edge of the USFS land. So we had maybe 30-minutes from the notice there was a fire approaching to the time it was on us. Got the horses out and grabbed a few guns while exiting the house. When we left fire was on the property and some of it was already burning. The tractor shed with a tractor and other equipment, the ATV shed with a couple ATVs and other equipment, the chicken coop with chickens trapped --- all were on fire. Flames were at my shop door with my new truck and one race car inside. Plus a half-century of my collecting tools and equipment along with a bunch of ammo, shop chemicals, gas cans, a drum of diesel, and other combustibles so if that caught fire it was like an ammo dump going up.

Flames were just feet from the back door of the house even while we had a 50’ gravel fire brake between us and the USFS land. So I’m expecting the worse and have seen a photo taken by a wildland fire crew member showing my neighbor’s house burnt to the foundation and since I can’t see his propane tank can only imagine that exploded.

Looks bad but we’re safe and in a hotel. I’m hoping we’ll be allowed back in a few days so I can assess the damage. My pasture is fenced with pipe so if that’s standing and there are no hazards I can get my horses back home even if the barn is gone. But you just never know what you’ll find. Fires are like tornados, they can consume one house and leave another alone. So keep your fingers crossed.

As always NAZ is cool under fire, so to speak. Let's hope for the best in these uncertain circumstances.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so sad to hear this. I thought of NAZ when I saw the story of this fire on the news. Glad to hear that he got out safely with the horses. Sending prayers for him and all those around him that are affected by this.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, I am sorry to read this. I saw the news on this fire early this morning and that the fire service seemed to think it was over and the winds picked causing people to have zero time to get out. Glad he made it out with his wife, horses and some things.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear that Naz and his wife got to safety. Hope things are better than expected.
    Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Best of luck. Glad that he’s safe. Hoping for the best

Post Thanks / Like
    Things can be replaced, but it does not make it easier. I have lost a home before due to the whims of mother nature. Hang in there NAZ. Glad no one was hurt.
    My Type 65 Coupe: Ordered May 27, 2021. Arrived November 19, 2021.
    I would like to treat my gas pedal as a binary operator. It would be nice to get the cooperation of everyone in front of me.

7. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry to hear of this. Keeping my fingers crossed for you Naz.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wind a water I've dealt with, but fire, that's hell on earth.
    God's Speed & Good Luck To Those Impacted!
    Especially The Naz-Man!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-22-2022 at 07:45 AM.

10. Likes CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you hear from NAZ let us know. Let him know from me if he needs anything to let me know. I can run up there with a trailer and I can store anything he may need. I have quite a few acres here.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

12. Thanks Nigel Allen thanked for this post
    Likes WIS89 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    JR, send you a message
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Horrible. I hope the fire left him alone and pray he and his family are ok.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy to hear that you’re safe NAZ. I’ll be hoping for the best possible outcome for you.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry to hear this NAZ. Best wishes
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Despite the heat and outrageous circumstances, NAZ is as cool headed as he has been on this forum.
    He is ahead of the curve lining up insurance, architect and contractors. His understanding is the outbuildings and shop are gone but the house and barn are OK with no specific details.
    The forest service will determine if NAZ and neighbors can return to their properties Sunday. He hopes to get his horses back home ASAP.
    That is as good a one could hope for at this point.

So far, those he has reached out to are competent and cooperative. NAZ is predicting a year of work before things are back to a normal.
    I anticipate that he is better in this situation than the average bear.
    jim
    I mischaracterized the damage at the NAZ estate. The house and barn are still standing but until an inspection, the heat/smoke/water damage to those structures is unknown.
    I worked in the fire equipment industry at one point. Damage can be pervasive. Hope for the best and plan for the worst.
    Last edited by J R Jones; 04-23-2022 at 09:15 AM.

18. Thanks JimLev thanked for this post
    Likes RoadRacer, Olli liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    So very sad to hear of this happening to Naz. Lives are definitely the foremost of importance, and that was a close call. There should really have been more forewarning. Even a few more hours may have allowed Naz the time to save so much more.

I know everyone say's, material things can be replaced, but sometimes they can't. I'm sure everyone has something that is irreplaceable. I have items from my Grandparents, my parents, and even a few items from my childhood 60+ years old now, that could never be replaced. An hour or two could allow these things to be saved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Horrible to read this. Sending positive thoughts your way NAZ and glad you and your wife are safe.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    We all care for Forum member welfare.
    Some people rise to the occasion, and some people soar above the occasion.
    I could not look away from a train wreck, tragidy can be fastinating.
    NAZ is heavy into recovery mode. Update in his own words:

Been incredibly busy juggling multiple immediate issues and simultaneously working on planning and initiating the recovery process while the wreckage is still smoking. Looks like we’ll be in this hotel for the next couple weeks. Every time I turn around I need something out of my shop which no longer exists. Even installing my mailbox took so much longer as I had to run to Cheapo Depot to buy some basic tools. Doesn’t help that the mailbox is ½-mile from my house and had to take multiple trips to install a simple mailbox.

Adjuster for the RE property side of the loss has done his inspection so I can start clearing rubble. My 80-gallon air compressor tank blew up and blasted through the stem wall scattering debris over a good 50’ radius. And there must be more nails scattered about from the blast than stars in the sky. Like a case of Claymore mines exploding. The vertical tank pulled the concrete anchors and launched itself. The blast wave knocked pictures off the adjacent walls in the house some 70’ away and items off a barn wall facing the blast some 150’ or more away. That must have been exciting. Melted my “K” size mother bottle on my nitrous filling station and the bottle exploded. That must have caused a large bleve with all that oxidizer combining with the flames. The heat of the fire was enough to melt all the aluminum in the shop, including my Ford Raptor body and bed. Steel was hot enough to bend, even the roll cage on my race car.

I attached before and after photos of my hot rod. That was a $100K car-b-que. After this, I cannot recommend Hagerty Insurance – too difficult to work with the claims people. Even after photos, I think they are still not sure my car is a total loss. Told them to send someone out and take what they want off of it – just get it the hell out of my way. Car is history, I’m working on the future.

This is an example of a survivor, not a victim. Photos attached
    jim

HR Before Fire.JPEG

Hot Rod Front Left.jpg

22. Likes TheHelixx liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good grief. That picture sums it up too well.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Man that's hard to look at. NAZ is handling this disaster far better than I imagine I ever could. We have been in a very high fire danger over the past few weeks due to lack of moisture and high winds. I actually packed a bug out bag with important documents and such just in case. While preparing, I looked at my entire life's collection of material things and thought what it would be like to jump in one car with my wife, dog, and a change of clothes knowing that everything else could be gone in minutes...unimaginable. Stay strong NAZ! You saved the things that can't be replaced and that's the most important thing.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 04-27-2022 at 06:32 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

25. Thanks Pat Landymore, Nigel Allen thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Picture is almost to much to look at. Having built multiple cars and knowing the amount of work Naz must have invested in just that one car, it must be heart wrenching to see what's left. The air compressor tank explosion is unbelievable in itself. My 80 gallon tank is in the attached garage against the wall that abuts the kitchen. Never thought about a fire and the resulting damage it could do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to here and see what happened to your property and race car NAZ.
    Anyone know how to set up a Go Fund Me to help NAZ recover from all his losses? The insurance company probably won’t come close to covering all his losses.
    For all the times NAZ has helped me out I’d be more than willing to contribute.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are here for a completely different reason than this thread, but this is a form of social media.
    We have heard of, and in some cases, resisted the reality of climate change for decades now. More specifically natural disasters have become routiine and perhaps we are numb to the personal consequences.
    NAZ's exerience may be an opportunity to bring home a circumstance that could affect any of us. I am ashamed that tragidy could be percieved as entertaining, but I am rapted by NAZ's reporting and his incredible resilience.
    He is an example for us all. This is his latest memo from Wednesday:

"Lucky my backhoe was untouched but my utility tractor that I use the most was melted. So I’m working on purchasing another one and have a line on a couple that may fit my needs. The same day we were allowed back to the property, I got hold of the contractor that built my hay shed and ordered another one. He should be on site in a few weeks to build a new one and I’ll have the pad cleaned before then. For now, I’ll just run into town every couple weeks and buy a few bales to keep in the tack room. Horses were upset when we left and one of them was still upset the first day back. Lot’s of ash and a lot of trees burned so the sights and smells had him on edge. They all seem to be settled in now. Their Elk buddies that used to visit and play with the horses have fled the area. And so have the deer that would visit us almost everyday. We had a small band of seven bull elk visit and a little over a dozen deer that would come and hang out on the property. Hope they eventually return.

Cleaning the shop debris is going to take several weeks as the fire was so hot it damaged the foundation. All the concrete has to be demo’d. I’m going to need some help with that for sure. And there’s probably 50-60 mature Ponderosa Pine trees that have burned, I’m guessing maybe half will have to be cut down. One poses a hazard in the pasture now so I have roped the area off to keep the horses away. Of course, all the wood butchers in this area are swamped so I’m working the friend of a friend network to get a climber out ASAP. I may have to go buy a chainsaw to replace the one that burned in the fire.

I’m proud of Coconino County, they have always done such a great job during these disasters. I spent three-years with CCSO on the mounted unit doing SAR on horseback, ATV, and LPC’s (leather personnel carriers – an Army term) until a foot injury sidelined me and I transferred to a gig as a SAR pilot. Once again, the County has stepped up with assistance. The County has provided some dumpsters for those affected and there’s a veteran group headed here with some clean-up labor and as a vet, I signed up through the County for their help. They’ve got a bunch of programs folks can take advantage of and do a good job of keeping us informed.

And yes, I can’t turn my brain off. Always been like that with every project I’m involved in. Wake up at night thinking of something I have to do or a method of fixing some issue I’m having. Get up and on the computer designing, planning, emailing – it’s a wonder I ever get enough sleep.

Even while this is very stressful for my wife, she seems to be doing OK. Getting the horses home was a great relief for her and once we’re back in the house I think that will lower her stress level. Don’t know why but I’ve always done well under stress and just look at this as a series of problems that need to be prioritized and dealt with. Pilots run a check list when dealing with emergencies. I make a list of tasks for each day and prioritize them. If I stay focused on the tasks and keep busy, that’s stress management for me. If I stop to reflect and look at all the damage it’s sad but if I just work the issues systematically, it’s just work I need to get done. At the end of the day you just do what you can and get help where you need it. Some days your house burns up and some days it burns down. Everyone just deals with it best they can.

Some more photos. I just finished the chase rack for my Raptor and later that morning the fire hit. We saved the wife’s Mercedes instead of my truck. I loved that truck. What was I thinking? Trucks take priority over cars."

Raptor Chase Rack.jpg

Raptor Chase Rack After.jpg

29. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw this -- ugh, hate to see it.

Does anyone know whether Hagerty Insurance has come around for NAZ on this yet? If not, please ping me. A good friend of mine is one of Hagerty's largest customers and is on a first-name basis with the company's CEO, and they happen to be scheduled to eat lunch together in a couple of weeks at a concours event. There might be an opportunity for a better avenue to escalate the matter than the "press 1 for a supervisor" kind of thing. Hopefully it is already settled, but if not, maybe we can facilitate getting some information up to the very top of the chain.

Cheers, John
    FFR10004105RD: Twin-turbo BMW V12 powered FFR Roadster
    Currently garaging 2,600hp spread across 78 cylinders and 4 turbochargers

Post Thanks / Like
    The fire saga continues. Progress report.
    It this off topic thread is bothersome, let me know. It is a slice of life most do not experience, and I find interesting, NAZ does not say if they are back in the house yet. The pictures indicate the fire damage is random with some trees intact but the 1000hp 33 is hard to recognize.

Jim, been busy with demo work and clean up. One of my sons took off work this week to give me a hand. He’s a youngster at 51 and still has lot’s of energy. I’ve been running myself ragged trying to keep up with him. But it’s good to have help as I’ve been promoted from laborer to heavy equipment operator at least for this week. We’ve been getting a lot done these last few days but I’m exhausted each night when we knock-off. The wind hasn’t helped. It’s the start of the windy season here and this year is starting off really bad. 50 MPH to 60 MPH sustained winds with 70 – 80 MPH gusts 24-hrs a day for several days in a row now make it difficult to perform demo work. And the winds have toppled one 70’ pine tree onto my field fence and another similar sized tree is looking like it’s the next to come down. That one will hit my pasture fence. At least I won’t have much trouble digging up the root ball on the one that came down. A mature Ponderosa Pine root ball can be 10’ in diameter and so heavy my 6,600 lb. capacity loader won’t pick it up.

Good news today. My Miller Bobcat 250 gas powered welder is still operational. It was parked just outside the shop and the fire melted one tire and much of the control panel but when we removed the cowling and checked the internals we were surprised to see all the wiring and insulation intact. It was full of fuel before the fire reached it but today just had a small amount in the sump. Looks like most of the fuel had evaporated, presumably from the heat boiling off the VOCs. We started it up and checked the operation and I was surprised to see everything working except the fuel gauge. The trailer had the most damage but a large portion of the welder’s control panel was melted so I feared the worst. Repaired the trailer and purchased two new tires today.

Hagerty finally had CoPart P/U the hot rod today. The folks at Hagerty have accepted that it is a total loss and I sent them a notarized copy of the title with my signature releasing ownership to them. Yesterday I had a girl call from CoPart wanting to know if the 33 Ford ran and what was wrong with it. You could hear the excitement in her voice hoping she had stumbled on some valuable old car to restore. You could hear the disappointment when I described the car’s condition. I pulled the car out of the rubble that used to be my shop and placed in a spot the wrecker could easily access. I nearly had to load the car on his flatbed as it was not cooperating with the driver as he tried to winch it on the bed. We all agreed cars are much easier to load when they have wheels and not dragging suspension parts.

My insurance has issued a max payout for the buildings and grounds damage. Of course, that max payout is short of what the adjustor’s estimate to rebuild came to. He uses estimating software similar to what I used when I was a Project Mgr. The costs typically get revised annually to keep up with inflationary increases in regional cost of labor and materials. But in this post pandemic economy with serious supply shortages, I doubt the updates are keeping pace. And the limits were set years ago and I have never reviewed them to determine if the gaps are still acceptable. That’s on me. The adjustor has been very reasonable to work with and displays a sense of urgency. I still owe him a list of contents that was a big part of the loss. I’d been collecting tools and equipment for half a century so that’s going to be a very big list. I’m over a $100K so far and only just started. So maybe another 90-days before my claim is settled for the contents which is the only outstanding part of the claim. But for now I can start planning the rebuild while continuing the demo.

I have been soliciting quotes for a new and larger shop. Thinking of either a steel building or cinder block construction, something more fire resistant than stick built construction. I have a tree butcher lined up to start cutting down damaged trees and everything near the shop is yellow tagged for removal. Next I need to get my fence guy out to repair the perimeter fence. As a plus, one of my neighbors is going to trade me a wider access around the corner of his property for my bringing him some boulders. I have so many rocks on my property it’s like living in a quarry so for me this is a great deal. It’s always been a tight squeeze to turn into my access road with a long trailer. Gave up my custom goose neck race trailer years ago but now I could get me another one.

Some more photos.

Hot Rod Ready For Pick Up.jpg

Hot Rod Extrication.jpg

Pine Down 2.jpg

Pine Down.jpg

jim

32. Thanks Geoff H, svassh, Al_C, Jeff33Ford, JimLev, RoadRacer thanked for this post
    Likes FF33rod, Fman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't imagine a loss like this. My heart reaches out to NAZ and his family. If anyone can recover, he can!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Breaks my heart to see this happen. NAZ has been has been such an asset on this forum. Anyone here close enough to set up a gofundme to help them out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by egchewy79 View Post
    Breaks my heart to see this happen. NAZ has been has been such an asset on this forum. Anyone here close enough to set up a gofundme to help them out?
    It is presumptuous for me to comment on your gracious suggetion of monitary charity for NAZ. I am certain that help in the form of work/labor would be welcome. Geography and proximity are the main problen with that.
    The victim ethos is popular these days but I do not read that in NAZ. He is the quintessential self made and self making man. Thanks for your suggestion; I will watch for a positive indication from NAZ.
    jim