BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8

Thread: Vern's Retirement MK4 Build Tread

Post Thanks / Like

Vern's Retirement MK4 Build Tread

Got the call from Stewart and my Roadster Kit is scheduled for delivery next week, so I thought I would start my build tread.

First, a little about myself. Like many I have dreamed about this day for a long time, and now that I have retired it was time to make it a reality. I live outside of Wilmington NC and always looking for others in the area. I have really enjoyed reading through a number of the build treads and have gained a lot of information and thought I would share my experience as I start this endeavor. I look forward to the contribution of this group as I do so, and is one of the reasons I went with Factory Five.

My plan for this build is a street car, and don't plan on any track time (other then to help learn about controlling it ). And expect to take longer trips with the wife, so a few creature features will be needed as well.

Here is where I landed on my build
    From Factory Five:
    MK IV COMPLETE KIT with Body Cut-outs
    POWDERCOATING ROADSTER CHASSIS
    4.6L ENGINE/TRANS MOUNTS
    HYDRAULIC CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER KIT
    31 SPLINE 2015 IRS 10.50" DRIVESHAFT
    POWER STEERING COMPONENTS w/COMPLETE KIT
    FRONT LOWER ARMS - STANDARD WIDTH
    2015 IRS PARTS w/COMPLETE KIT
    FFR GPS GAUGE SET W/KIT
    WIND WINGS
    RDSTR FRONT SWAYBAR COMPs
    2015 IRS SWAYBAR COMPONENTS
    CENTER DASH SUPPORT COMPONENTS
    GEN 3 COYOTE INSTALLATION KIT
    IRS 3.55 CENTER SECTION & SPINDLES
    ROADSTER WIPER KIT
    15x8/9" 5 LUG HALIBRAND REPLICA WHEELS
    DIAMOND STITCH SEATS W/KIT
    DIAMOND STITCH DOOR PANEL PARTS

From Mike Forte:
    Gen 3 Cayote with TKX Transmission assembled to turnkey
    A/C & P/S

From Breeze Automotive (shout out to Breeze, ordered on 4/15 and everything but the rollbars arrived on the 4/19 woo hoo)
    1 3/4 in roll bars
    Fan Shroud
    Hinged Upper Radiator and Shroud mounting
    Radiator Cowl Cover Kit
    Lower Radiator Support
    Storage Cubby
    Foot operated Dimmer switch (something old school about that, brings me back to my 66 Ford Falcon )
    Battery Mounting kit

From Gordon Leavy:
    Wilwod Brakes for 15" rims
    A/C Heater unit

FFMetal:
    Fire wall forward kit

From a manufacture across the pond:
    One really cool hardtop

A few additional items yet to be sourced:
    Stereo with back up camara
    decide on tires
    I'm sure this group will help me spend my money on somethings I am obviously missing

I think that covers most of the basics, and I completed building the dolly today (thanks @Jazzman), and should complete the Body Buck tomorrow.

Now to figure out how to upload pictures to these posts, and update tags on the bottom.

2. Likes JeffP, zee, CaptB, Ted G, toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a wonderful build!
    Complete novice who doesn't know what he's doing.
    MKIV with BPE 347 & TKX. IRS. A crap ton of mods.
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Cobra Cousins! Glad to see you get started on this!
    MK4 Complete Kit #10315 / Coyote G3 / TKX / 427 HardTop
    Build Thread Production Date: 2/26/22, Registered 5/19/22, Graduated 3/1/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff
    Our builds look very similar. Will be fun

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Mine should be here in a month or two, anxiously awaiting to hear from Stewart. What plans did you follow for the body buck, I’m still trying to decide what to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    Congrats! Mine should be here in a month or two, anxiously awaiting to hear from Stewart. What plans did you follow for the body buck, I’m still trying to decide what to do.
    You can find plans for a body buck in the back of the Assembly guide. If you don't have one already it can be purchased from FF Parts site or if you're creative with Google you can probably find one online. I took those plans and then cut the height down so it exactly matched the height of the body and then use kayak hangers ($20 amazon) as a pully system to hoist it up to the ceiling in my garage. Works great, well supported, and out of the way.
    MK4 Complete Kit #10315 / Coyote G3 / TKX / 427 HardTop
    Build Thread Production Date: 2/26/22, Registered 5/19/22, Graduated 3/1/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffP View Post
    I took those plans and then cut the height down so it exactly matched the height of the body and then use kayak hangers ($20 amazon) as a pully system to hoist it up to the ceiling in my garage. Works great, well supported, and out of the way.
    I was thinking about this route. Can you help me determine if I have enough space for this? Im curious what the total height is with it hanging, from the ceiling to the bottom of the body. Based on amazon it seems like most of the kayak hoists have comments saying they can’t get flush with the ceiling and there is about an 18” gap.

Post Thanks / Like
    So... Trying to document my build but am not able to create a photo album to upload build photos. Can anyone help with this? Getting an error message when accessing Gallery > Add album. TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice build list! We have a 4.6 build in our local Cobra group that is very well built and thought out, builder is Mark K on this site, you should chat with him. He added cruise control and some other nice creature comforts to his build. Looking forward to watching your car come to life, enjoy the build!
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fun and congratulations on your purchase of a kit (and a grand adventure). Your build plan seems like a good match with your stated intentions for how you'll enjoy the completed car. Have fun next week (and it's just beginning)!

A simple search string of "how to attach photos site:thefactoryfiveforum.com" turns up this, which might help. But what might be limiting you is your junior status. A brief PM to David Hodgekins requesting senior member status should fix that.
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ibele View Post
    Welcome to the fun and congratulations on your purchase of a kit (and a grand adventure). Your build plan seems like a good match with your stated intentions for how you'll enjoy the completed car. Have fun next week (and it's just beginning)!

A simple search string of "how to attach photos site:thefactoryfiveforum.com" turns up this, which might help. But what might be limiting you is your junior status. A brief PM to David Hodgekins requesting senior member status should fix that.
    Thanks, I reached out to David hopefully that will take care of it

Vern

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    Nice build list! We have a 4.6 build in our local Cobra group that is very well built and thought out, builder is Mark K on this site, you should chat with him. He added cruise control and some other nice creature comforts to his build. Looking forward to watching your car come to life, enjoy the build!
    Hi Fman,

Do you have a link to Mark K's build? I don't see any when I searched. Sure I am doing something wrong, but wanted to ask.

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern2022 View Post
    Hi Fman,

Do you have a link to Mark K's build? I don't see any when I searched. Sure I am doing something wrong, but wanted to ask.

TIA
    I don't think he did a build thread but I am sure he would be more than happy to talk with you about his car. Not sure where you are located but he is often out at Cars and Coffee in EDH/Folsom. I would try sending him a private message.
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    welcome can't wait to see the end results! I too am doing/trying A/C using the FFR A/C kit from the coupe - I haven't yet started to swear at it yet, but it's coming for sure - it's gonna be a tiiiiight fit

the hardtop will make a huge difference! very excited to see your build!
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Vern and Toadster. I plan on AC in a roadster. Unless I find a better unit, I am thinking a Vintage air Gen II Mini. I look forward to following your builds and peak in and see how the AC goes. I am a bit out on my build and to hope to learn from yours. Cheers. Tom
    Mk4 #10605 Ordered 5/28/2022. Received 3/18/2023
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roaster-Build

17. Likes JeffP liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmosrcool View Post
    Hi Vern and Toadster. I plan on AC in a roadster. Unless I find a better unit, I am thinking a Vintage air Gen II Mini. I look forward to following your builds and peak in and see how the AC goes. I am a bit out on my build and to hope to learn from yours. Cheers. Tom
    I would be interested in anyone who has added A/C to the MK4 with Gen 3 coyote. Seems finding someone who has actually done it with photos is move of a challenge then I originally anticipated. Someone has to have solved this by now.

Post Thanks / Like

Time to start documenting the build and get you caught up...

Order placed 09/08/2021
    Kit Complete Date 03/26/2022
    Kit Received (Stewart) 04/29/2022

In preparation for the kit I built a frame dolly and body buck:

Christmas came April 29th this year for me. Is there any better site than seeing this coming your way?

I was the first stop on this trip:

Not that I was nervous or anything...

All tucked in and ready to start inventory:

Post Thanks / Like

Inventory Day (OK, it was more like a week)

Because there was about 30 days from kit complete to when it was picked up by Stewart I there were a lot of original POL items that were able to be included with the shipment so I didn't think the POL list was too bad:
    Parts Order List (POL) from FFR

10577 Pillow Block, 3/4" ID
    1288 Flasher, 3 Prong
    14651 Auston Lemans Cap
    10888 Shifter Handle Components
    16164 Door Latch Components
    10611 Windscreen, Chrome on Brass (Roadster)
    16422 Rear Wheel Studs
    12232 Outside Rear Upper Bushings
    14515 M16 x 2 OMM Deformed Tread, Flanged Lockout
    12348 Rod End, Right Hand Tread
    14510 Front hubs
    14511 Hub Nuts
    33704 M12 - 1.75 X 50 MM Bolt
    14469 Fuel Tank
    14470 Fuel Tank Cover
    25460 Bolt (Retaining Ring)
    13699 Hose Clamp
    14936 3.73 Speedometer Gear
    15159 1.50" Roolbar Grommet
    16575 3/8" Coolant Hose Cut 5 Ft
    15501 Adjustable Front Upper Control Arms

I have received the Windscreen, so happy to see some of the POL list start to arrive...

I also had some MIK (Missing in kit) they are working on:
    10940 Electrical Wiring connector Red
    10817 Blue High Beam Indicator
    10816 Green Turn Signal Indicator
    14745 1/4 Fuel Line Union
    13979 #8x3/4 Screw Countersunk Washer

25502 10 MM Brake Line Metric Adapter
    12332 1/2"-13x4" Bolt
    12642 17"x1" DD Tubing
    12470 Quick Jack Bent Left Hook
    12471 Quick Jack Bent Right Hook
    10834 Lock Nut Nylon, 1/2-13 (received 2 of 4)
    14823 5/16" ID High Pressure Fuel Line
    10802 Locknut Retaining Ring (received 3 of 4)
    15902 IRS Toe Adj Arm Comp (please review picture)
    34148 1/4" Nylon Bulkhead Adp
    16976 M4x8MM Socket Head Cap

The only thing I received that I was not expecting was vinyl seats instead of the diamond stitch seats, but I was able to get those returned pretty easily.

So all in all I while I was pretty happy with the limited amount of POL/Missing parts, some of them are affecting the build sequence (the outside rear upper bushing keep the center section from going in, and the front upper control arms keeps the front suspension from getting completed). But there is plenty to do and I am looking forward to actually getting started with the build.

Post Thanks / Like

Let the fun begin. Drill Baby Drill

Figured the aluminum panels would be a good starting point, but was surprised how easily they scratch. Until you start drilling holes in the aluminum panel and not get a single piece of aluminum not vacuumed you can't appreciate how that can scratch a perfectly good piece of an otherwise unblemished panel. Oh well, I guess that's what powder coating is for...

I bought about 100 1/8" clecko's thinking that would be enough (who was I kidding). But working with what I had I worked around the car one section at a time:

Started with the Drivers side

But then realized I didn't pull the driver front footbox for the coyote out of box 6A until I had it all done. Guess I will have to transfer those holes once I get the panels back from powder coating...

Then it was on to the passenger side footbox:

Then moving around to the rest of the passenger area:

Then around the back to the trunk with the extra storage (which was actually the first thing I did to test drilling, cutting, test fitting) which turned out to be a good thing:

If you look at the transition to the upper trunk area you will see why you need a 12" drill bit...

Wrapped up with the rest of the cockpit area:

so a couple of thousand holes drilled and 8 drill bits later most of the aluminum panels have been fitted and drilled...

Post Thanks / Like

Off to Powder Coating

So after 20+ hours of work on this project this is what I have to show for it :

But I did get my official build shirt:

But before I sent the panels off for powder coating I wanted a couple of pics to show friends that I really have been working on this...

23. Likes CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Time to start looking at the suspension

Now that the aluminum panels are out for powder coating (should take about 3 weeks, hope I didn't blow the budget on this), it was time to start looking at what I could do next. I decided to go ahead and start working on the suspension even though I have a few critical suspension pieces on the POL list. I figured I would not torque anything down until I have everything installed. This may/may not be a good idea, but made sense at the time.

Started with the front suspension:

Then I realized with the shocks setup per FF5 manual I had the springs upside down (I know it doesn't matter, but it's those little things the bug me )

So flipped them over and faced the logo outward (free advertising):

That's about all I can do on the front suspension until some of my POL arrive.

If anyone sees something amiss please let me know...

25. Likes CaptB liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Time to play around with the rear suspension

Not being able to hang the center section (missing upper rear bushings) limits what you can do with the rear end, but I wanted to show some progress (not to mention whittling down some of the inventory boxes).

So figured I would work with what I did have (my glass is always half full )

First up was the lower arms and shocks:

Then it was time to drill out the spindle, no problem I'll just go to the local hardware store and pick one up...
    Ace Hardware, no luck only had cobalt bits up to 1/2 ". OK, must be out of stock, no problem True Value hardware is right next door...
    True Value, nope not there either... So over the bridge to Home Depot
    Would you believe that HD would not carry that in their stores (had a couple of folks helping me look for this mysterious drill bit. You know, I'm starting to think it's a conspiracy or "supply chain" issues. But all is not lost as most of you know where there is a HD Lowes can't be far away...
    Should have known better as this obviously wasn't going to be my day, no luck there either...

OK, maybe Jeff Bezos needs some more of my money... Two days later I'm back in business (gotta love Prime)

So now we're getting somewhere at least:

So back to a holding pattern on rear suspension until POL starts to arrive.

If you notice anything out of place please let me know...
    I won't be torqueing anything down until everything is on
    Last edited by Vern2022; 07-07-2022 at 01:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everything looks clean and neat. If you have not coated or painted the alum hub carriers they will frost up with time.
    Shark Hide is a quality product to prevent rust and corrosion. It flows well, just follow directions.
    Consider using everywhere, bell housing too.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like

And now for some questions for the group

You may have noticed that some of the bolts don't have nuts attached... I am assuming these are the (M16 x 2 OMM Deformed Tread, Flanged Lockout), as I have 12 on the POL list but was not sure if I might have missed something:

Also, what are folks using to attach the Splash Guards? Since these need to be fitted when the body has been properly positioned on the frame I am assuming they would need to be removed if/when the body ever needed to be removed. Is that the case? If so, are folks just drilling out the rivets or using rivnuts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Everything looks clean and neat. If you have not coated or painted the alum hub carriers they will frost up with time.
    Shark Hide is a quality product to prevent rust and corrosion. It flows well, just follow directions.
    Consider using everywhere, bell housing too.
    Thanks for the info on Shark Hide as I had not heard that before. Also, I need to touch up the frame where the powder coating was scratched off. Do you know what the closet color match is to the primer? Or what others are doing?
    TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info on Shark Hide as I had not heard that before. Also, I need to touch up the frame where the powder coating was scratched off. Do you know what the closet color match is to the primer? Or what others are doing?
    TIA
    I too used some touch up on my frame, 20th Annv gray. I will have to get the spray can to remember the name of the company. The color is an exact match for the powder coating, also provided by the same company. You can complete the order over the internet and have it shipped directly.

Edward B posted the brand and color for me. He had a touch up issue also.

Your frame color looks to be flat black? It might be an easy match, if you want to do some testing. The frame does not show in many areas, so a touch up in a covered area will be mainly for metal protection.

I should have a brand name for you later today.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, what are folks using to attach the Splash Guards? Since these need to be fitted when the body has been properly positioned on the frame I am assuming they would need to be removed if/when the body ever needed to be removed. Is that the case? If so, are folks just drilling out the rivets or using rivnuts?
    You're off to a good start. Your choice on the splash guard attachment. Easy enough to drill for rivets, use clecos until the last time you put the body on, then rivet at final assembly. Drill out the rivets if you ever need to remove the body. Which usually isn't very often if ever. Or you could use nutserts and screws. That's what I've done on my builds. But certainly builders choice. No right or wrong choice.

POR15 is a good choice for bare aluminum (rear spindles, etc.). I've also used clear Duplicator engine enamel (https://www.duplicolor.com/product/e...-with-ceramic/). Available at most part stores. Goes on easily, flashes dry quickly, and has held up amazingly well. My Coupe has been on the road for three years now and where I used it still looks brand new.

BTW, that different front piece on the DS footbox isn't about the Coyote. One is for a donor pedal box (what's showing in your pictures) the other is for a Wilwood pedal box. Doesn't have the second hole for a master cylinder and the clutch cable location is different.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-08-2022 at 10:46 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    BTW, that different front piece on the DS footbox isn't about the Coyote. One is for a donor pedal box (what's showing in your pictures) the other is for a Wilwood pedal box. Doesn't have the second hole for a master cylinder and the clutch cable location is different.
    Thanks for the info on the paint, and that makes sense about the DS panel as I have a complete kit with the Wilwood pedal box, so will need to drill that panel when it gets back. Hopefully in another week or so... fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Vern,
    This is the company I got my frame touch up paint from. Either ask F5 the color used on your frame or use a LVP color chart and order a spray can of the color.
    I was pleased with the service and color match on mine.
    https://www.lvppaints.com/