BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: hot rod 442 is on the road

Post Thanks / Like

hot rod 442 is on the road

Hey guys, I haven't posted any build updates in quite a while but just got back from attending the Lonestar Roundup in Austin, a big traditional hot rod show that has been cancelled the last 2 years due to covid. It has been a goal of mine ever since I first attended 7 or 8 years ago to bring my own car and I finally did it. Had a great time! I ran into a guy that actually recognized that my car was an FFR and he said he frequented the boards often but had never seen my car - I guess because I have never posted any completed pics. Figured I should put a few up.
    I realize this is not really the crowd that is in to this type of car but there are a few guys here that get it, so here you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Likes e36m3, RoadRacer, JimLev, Fman, theidlemind, svassh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have just under 1000 miles on it now and I gotta say it is a hoot to drive. The car has been trouble free other than the Classic Instruments oil press gauge seems to be failing. The fuel pump inertia switch was tripped on the road trip right as I was making a pass on a 2 lane road, apparently because of a rough patch of pavement so there was a little drama there but other than that it has been pretty uneventful. My biggest complaint with the car is the clutch chatters like crazy, especially when cold, and the custom cam in the LS1 doesn't have the best low end torque so you have to drive it fairly aggressively and it gets old pretty quick in traffic. It is also a little louder than I anticipated even breathing thru the small 2 1/4 exhaust but I have to admit the Porter mufflers have a glorious tone and it takes all the self control I can muster not to just tromp on it and run it thru the gears every time I leave a stop.
    I am 3 months deep in to the process of trying to get it titled and registered but I believe the end is in sight and have what I hope is the final appt with the DMV tomorrow morning.
    I still want to fit the hood and am going to try and fab my own shark style hood scoop. I also still need to complete the power window install and am dreading that. It wont be too long before it will be too hot to drive without A/C so I will have no choice but to tackle it. Then I can also finish the interior sheet metal.

4. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will be the first to say that you did an amazing job on on the weathered/distressed looking paint!

Earl

6. Thanks sread thanked for this post
    Likes FF33rod, theidlemind liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love the unique way you finished it, great job!

Regarding who get's it and who doesn't - I'm still trying to figure that out. I'm finding the general public loves my build, however it's hit and miss with a "car crowd"...

Steve
    Last edited by FF33rod; 04-25-2022 at 03:49 PM.
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

8. Thanks sread thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like how you’ve done your build, it’s totally awesome!

Cheers,
    Pat
    Once again with an 88 mm Turbo, Big Block Chevy powered, ‘35 Hot Rod Pickup

10. Thanks sread thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job thinking out of the box. The interior is pretty cool . You knocked it out of the park.
    Rob
    FFR 35 p/u # 0016 Dart 347 TKO 600

12. Thanks sread thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by narly1 View Post
    I will be the first to say that you did an amazing job on on the weathered/distressed looking paint!

Earl
    Thank you sir - it just goes to prove you truly can learn how to do anything on Youtube.
    Too be honest, I am pretty sure the appearance is one of the main reasons I have been going round after round with the DMV. Since it is being titled as a replica , you are required to submit photos of each side of the car as part of the process. You can just see it on their face as the clerks peruse the photos - wondering what in the hell is this guy trying to pass off as a new car here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    Love the unique way you finished it, great job!

Regarding who get's it and who doesn't - I'm still trying to figure that out. I'm finding the general public loves my build, however it's hit and miss with a "car crowd"...

Steve
    Hey, I know exactly what you mean. I am discovering it totally depends on what show you are attending. The Lonestar Roundup is only open to '63 and earlier cars and it is huge - probably 6-800 cars - lots of rat rods and cars with patina, real or otherwise. I was really surprised at the interest my car generated. Most guys notice the different front suspension first and then start looking closer and realize it is totally different from all the true traditional rods. 90 percent had no idea it was a glass car.

15. Likes FF33rod, 33fromSD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the distressed look, nicely done. My favorite part of your car is the wheel tire combo. Love the slotted mags.
    33 Hot Rod with Deluxe Grill (32) Hood & sides, Bike Fenders, Hard Top, AC, Power Windows, Electric Power Steering, 306 Ford Small Block - roller cam, aluminum heads, Eldenbrock intake & carb, T5, Moser 3 link, Arrived 5/6/20.

17. Thanks sread thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job on the patina! First FFR car I have seen with that. I really like it a lot. The whole theme of the car is very well done.

19. Thanks sread thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. Love the headers, the patina and the aluminum interior work. Great job.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

21. Thanks sread thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bad *** looking ride. I like how you made fiberglass rust!
    (Didn’t know that was a banned word)
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

23. Thanks sread thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Congratulations. Love the headers, the patina and the aluminum interior work. Great job.
    -Steve
    '
    from one Steve to another - Thanks! seems there's a lotta Steves in this group