Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Another FFR MKIV Build in Dallas, TX

Post Thanks / Like

Another FFR MKIV Build in Dallas, TX

Hi everyone, I've decided to start a build thread because the others have been so helpful and I'd like to give back to this community however I can. A long time ago, well before I could drive, I remember passing a dealership everyday that had a cobra sitting on the lot and thinking one day I'll own that car. It was the coolest looking car I'd ever seen, no doubt it was a kit car but at the time I didn't even know what that was. Fast forward to yesterday and I'm receiving my kit after a long 8 month wait! I still can't believe it's in my garage right now

I just finished inventory, which wasn't too bad, I'm missing several small things and I've already sent those over to Factory Five. Hopefully I'll hear something soon. I also have 23 items on POL, nothing major from what I can tell. Which leads me to my next point...I'm definitely a novice but I'm looking forward to learning everything I can and one day driving this beast. I know everyone on this forum is extremely helpful so I want to thank everyone in advance for all the questions I may have once I get into this and thank you all for reading my build thread!

IMG_3525.jpgIMG_4026.JPG

Order Details
    • MKIV Complete Kit
    • Powdercoated Chassis
    • 2015 IRS
    • Body cut-outs
    • Blank Dash - I wanted a different gauge layout
    • Coyote Power Steering Kit
    • Wilwood Front/Back Brake kits
    • Turnkey 5.2L Aluminator w/Tremec TKX from Mike Forte

I removed a few things from my order that I'll need to get elsewhere like headers, sidepipes, and gauges. I plan to use Gas-n for the headers and pipes but I'm open to suggestion on the gauges.

Alright, that's all I have for now, next update will be taking the body off to inventory the installed components and hanging it in my garage to get it out of the way. I'm sure I left something out so let me know if you have any questions, looking forward to meeting everyone!

2. Likes svassh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention the fun I had during delivery - thanks Mike B. for the reminder lol. I used this template to build a dolly and unfortunately the screws that held the crossbeam in place buckled when we barely touched to the lip at the garage. I'm sure all the cracks in my old driveway didn't help any along the way.

IMG_3537.jpg

We jacked it up and swapped it out for the dolly the Stewart driver had and then transferred it jack stands. I replaced the screws with lag bolts and it seems to be holding now, I've rolled it around my garage but I don't think I'll be moving it out of the garage anytime soon

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard, Anonymoose! You're in for an exciting adventure. And, you couldn't be more right! The folks here on this forum couldn't be more helpful.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! It’s already been a lot of fun and of course not going as planned. First the dolly and today I got some friends to help remove the body. Unfortunately the rear of my body buck isn’t the right dimensions and doesn’t offer any support for the fenders. I got the supplies to cut a new rear and to make a shelf for the doors, hood, and rear. I’ll post some pictures tomorrow. I’m getting anxious to start the build, but remaking a body buck is always fun, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and enjoy your build journey. I really miss working on my car but they are also damn fun to drive!
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymoose View Post
    I forgot to mention the fun I had during delivery - thanks Mike B. for the reminder lol. I used this template to build a dolly and unfortunately the screws that held the crossbeam in place buckled when we barely touched to the lip at the garage. I'm sure all the cracks in my old driveway didn't help any along the way.

IMG_3537.jpg

We jacked it up and swapped it out for the dolly the Stewart driver had and then transferred it jack stands. I replaced the screws with lag bolts and it seems to be holding now, I've rolled it around my garage but I don't think I'll be moving it out of the garage anytime soon
    Glad I could be of help lol
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alright so, yesterday I remade my body buck, since i had to recut the rear piece I decided to recut the front as well. I cut it much lower to the ground, removed a lot of the end pieces to save weight, and added a slotted shelf for the hood and stuff.

Here is a pic of the old and new rear to show how off I was...I'm not really sure where I went wrong with it but I followed a different template and it fits much better.

Now that it fits, with the help of my wife we moved the body back onto the buck and I decided to give the kayak hoists a shot and raise it up. I'll just say it wasn't very confidence inspiring with the extra weight of the body so I decided to replace the hoists. I ran all over town today to pick up the new hoists and looking for rope cleats. When I got back home I swapped out the hoists, after everything I'd say each corner is rated at about 300lbs so I should be more than good now but better safe than sorry! I marked all the panels that I can see without removing anything. I plan to remove them tomorrow but, I'm curious what everyone does with the panels. Did you wrap and box them like the panels FFR sent in a box or did you just stack them in the corner somewhere?

Last edited by Anonymoose; 05-30-2022 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Finally fixed the images

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a busy week with work but I was able to mark and remove all the panels, I got a shipment with some of the missing items that should have shipped with my kit, installed the upper control arms, and struts. I'm missing the lower control arms so I decided to start drilling and cleaning the panels. I'm still unsure if I'll powder coat or do something myself.

Tonight I drilled the F panels and cleaned those. For now they're just clecoed while I decide how to protect the panels. Is there any down side to drilling them all now while I wait for parts to come in? I want to get the sharpie off the panels sooner than later so I figured that would be a good project while I wait.

Last edited by Anonymoose; 06-05-2022 at 10:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    After some research tonight I think I’m going to spray LizardSkin on the panels. Sound and heat protection, seems like decent reviews form others that have tried it, and it’s on sale right now. Let me know if you’ve done it.
    My Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...d-in-Dallas-TX

Roadster complete kit. Ordered: 9/29/21 | Delivered: 5/24/22

Post Thanks / Like
    After some research tonight I think I’m going to spray LizardSkin on the panels. Sound and heat protection, seems like decent reviews form others that have tried it, and it’s on sale right now. Let me know if you’ve done it.
    Here's a recent thread on the subject, including a link to a write-up a did some years ago. I've used it on four builds. I would spray it after the panels are installed though. Sounds like you're thinking of doing the panels loose? You're going to need to mask all the edges then. A lot of work... The added thickness (plus not very smooth) would really mess up the alignment of your panels. Plus negate one of the nice features of Lizard Skin and how it seals everything up.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...eadening-spray
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    sounds like you're off to a great start. I would recommend going ahead and drilling all the panels now. then clean up all the aluminum shavings. There were many instances where I thought I was done dealing with the shavings only to realize that I needed to drill something else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Here's a recent thread on the subject, including a link to a write-up a did some years ago. I've used it on four builds. I would spray it after the panels are installed though. Sounds like you're thinking of doing the panels loose? You're going to need to mask all the edges then. A lot of work... The added thickness (plus not very smooth) would really mess up the alignment of your panels. Plus negate one of the nice features of Lizard Skin and how it seals everything up.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...eadening-spray
    Thanks for the response, Ive read your build threads and actually found your write up on the other forum the other night from the link you sent here. Excellent point on sealing everything, I hadn’t thought of that so I’ll wait to do it until the panels are installed.

In the mean time, is it worth treating the panels or powder coating if I plan to spray them later? Trying to figure out how best to keep them protected

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the response, Ive read your build threads and actually found your write up on the other forum the other night from the link you sent here. Excellent point on sealing everything, I hadn’t thought of that so I’ll wait to do it until the panels are installed.

In the mean time, is it worth treating the panels or powder coating if I plan to spray them later? Trying to figure out how best to keep them protected
    The 6061 aluminum used by FF is highly corrosion resistant. So unless you live by the seashore or whatever, it doesn't technically need anything additional for protection. Certainly not on the inside and under the Lizard Skin. What you do on the other side is a matter of personal choice. I powder coat all my panels. Even the ones that only show from the bottom. But that's my preference. Lots of options for finishing the panels. Or leaving them natural as some do.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

15. Thanks Anonymoose thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started drilling the passenger foot box this afternoon. It was a bit of a puzzle and required removing and drilling off the body for a few spots. I tried to drill everything that over lapped on the body so it'd fit correctly. I used clecos in the hole predrilled by FFR, and I locked the spacing guide in with it, line everything up, mark it, remove the ruler, and then drill and cleco every few as I went. Luckily everything lined up and I was able to get it put together. I'll continue doing this for the rest of the panels and call around this week for pricing on powder coating and anodizing.

I have a quick question, when I originally marked the passenger foot box floor I marked the tube roll bar and drilled down that side of the panel. With it installed there is a noticeable gap between the floor and that bar I didn't notice when marking. I can see the holes I drilled and now I'm wondering if it's too far away and shouldn't have been drilled so I haven't drilled into the frame yet. Obviously I'm not permanently placing them right now so it's not an issue but I'm curious if I should go ahead and drill into the frame or leave it and do something with the holes in the panel.