BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Stupid Human Tricks

Post Thanks / Like

Stupid Human Tricks

So if you follow the Cruella DeVille build thread you know I purchased a completed 33 that was then blown apart. Well I have managed to get the wiring harness and pedals back in the car. Made my first start attempt on Tue nite with 2.5 gallons on fresh gas in the tank. Found one missing wire and a bad coil that was cracked and arcing. But essentially got it to crank and start with gas poured into the MSD Atomic throttle body. But it became obvious the fuel pump was not running, no gas getting out of the tank.

So last nite I pulled the fuel pump which is mounted external just below the tank. Got some varnish that used to be gas out of one side of the line, nothing out of the other. Decided to disconnect the line from the throttle body and blow air from the compressor back to the line by the tank. Blew clean and dry. Then thought I would do the same thing from the line to the tank listening for the gas gurgling in the tank. Gurgling, check...

What happened next was a big surprise as 2.5 gallons of gas, literally all of it proceeded to fire out of the fuel line from the tank. First into my face then floor then oil pan I had within reach. You would have thought I had the fuel pump running it was coming out with such force.

Anyway lesson learned and stupid human trick successfully executed.
    MK2 Roadster - 347 - Boss 302 Crate 4x2 Weber 44 IDFs

2. Likes JohnK, RoadRacer, TxMike64, sread liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If there is no video, did it really happen?

Seriously, I hope you're OK. A gasoline bath can't have been pleasant.

Keith HR #894

Post Thanks / Like
    Gas cap still in place I take it. I had a gas tank on a trans jack years ago at work and it wasn't balanced quite right. I took the fuel pump assembly out and then it slid off in my direction. Soaked my pants and everything. Changed my pants and went commando for the rest of the day.
    33 Hot Rod Stage 1, Gen.2 ordered 11/11/2021 started June 12, 2022, LS3 E-Rod crate engine, Tremec TKX, 8.8 WITH 3.55 Ratio and limited slip with 31 spline axles.17X8 and18x10 Race Star wheels wrapped in Conti Extreme contact DWS tires, Mustang Cobra brakes all around. Electric PS and AC. Hard top, electric windows and bike fenders. First Start 5/31/2023. Go-Kart 6/2/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been there done that, which is the reason I now only use a hand pressure pump (from my coolant pressure test kit) when testing fuel lines. I got soaked with gas myself many moons ago using an air compressor, vowed never again.

Jim
    33 Hot Rod w/ 302 & Tremec T5; paint color is 68 Ford Mustang GT LimeGold
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...s-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing. We all learn from each other’s mistakes. Hopefully your good keeps someone else from real damage or injury.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901