Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Rob’s Mk4 Build in SC - Radiator and Hoses

Post Thanks / Like

Rob’s Mk4 Build in SC - Radiator and Hoses

After looking at all the great build threads over the last year, it’s time to start my own! On Monday, 8/22/22, I received the rest of my Mk4 Complete Kit. My plan is for a street car setup, which will include no rollbars, no hoodscoop and undercar exhaust. Haven’t completely decided on the paint color, but am leaning towards British Racing Green. The options I got from Factory Five include powdercoating the frame, IRS components (including brakes), 17” Halibrand Wheels, hydraulic clutch, power steering, vintage gauge set, and vinyl dash w/glovebox. From Blueprint, I ordered the 347FI and TKX. From Breeze, I got the front battery box and cockpit cubby hole kit. The inventory is now complete, only a few missing items (which Factory Five promptly sent) and a sheet of parts on order. I have plenty to get started!

I was able to find a body buck and chassis dolly locally (thank you BradCraig and Jaguar Engineer). I also went to the build school in Michigan back in May, which I highly recommend! I’m excited to begin this journey and look forward to giving back to this community where I’ve learned so much.

arrival.JPG garage1.JPG garage3.jpg
    Rob
    Mk4 Complete Kit, #10465
    Ordered 11/14/21, Build School 5/20/22, Delivered 8/22/22, Engine/Transmission Delivered 3/27/23, Installed 9/3/23, First Start 2/14/24
    347FI/TKX/IRS "Street Look"-no hoodscoop or rollbar, undercar exhaust
    Build Thread

2. Likes Chopper, 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Enjoy the build, keep updates coming, not that I am running out of reading here, but it is neat to see real time since I am new to this forum.

4. Likes robmccon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Glad to see a street car set up! I'm 5 months into my build.
    #10333 Complete Kit, Carbed 427w, TKX, IRS and many other upgrades

• Order Date: September 11, 2021 - 20th Anniversary of 9/11
    • Delivery Day: April 1, 2022 - April Fool's Day
    • First Start and Go-Kart: January 20th, 2023
    • Graduation Date: July 4th, 2023 - Independence Day!!
    • Legal Registration Date: October 4, 2023 - My Birthday!!

Visit my MKIV Build Thread (#10333)

6. Likes robmccon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Body Off

Getting a slow start, but got the body off the frame, will probably be storing it out back of the house. I'm sure I'll mention this quite a bit, but I'm really glad I attended the build school. Gave me the confidence to get through this project. Next will be tackling the removal of the aluminum and installing the front suspension. Still haven't decided on what to do with the visible panels, I've narrowed it down to 1) Leave them bare aluminum, 2) Powder coat them silver, or a black/gray hammered texture.
    body.jpgchassis.jpg
    Rob
    Mk4 Complete Kit, #10465
    Ordered 11/14/21, Build School 5/20/22, Delivered 8/22/22, Engine/Transmission Delivered 3/27/23, Installed 9/3/23, First Start 2/14/24
    Build Thread

8. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robmccon View Post
    My plan is for a street car setup, which will include no rollbars, no hoodscoop and undercar exhaust.
    Welcome aboard, Rob! I haven't seen any Roadsters with that combination. Cool to read your vision to make yours just the way you want.

Quote Originally Posted by robmccon View Post
    Getting a slow start, but got the body off the frame...
    I used to get frustrated with my slow progress (still do at times!), but finally realized for me the build process (two steps forward, one step back; "sure, I'll do that Mod--looks so easy"; inordinate time just staring and pondering my next step; tremendous satisfaction on the other side of a challenge [bending brake lines; 4 wheel alignment]; etc. etc.) is a significant portion of the overall fun. Enjoy the build!
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

10. Likes buttsjim liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    I used to get frustrated with my slow progress (still do at times!), but finally realized for me the build process (two steps forward, one step back; "sure, I'll do that Mod--looks so easy"; inordinate time just staring and pondering my next step; tremendous satisfaction on the other side of a challenge [bending brake lines; 4 wheel alignment]; etc. etc.) is a significant portion of the overall fun. Enjoy the build!
    Thanks for that perspective Chris!
    Rob
    Mk4 Complete Kit, #10465
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Front Suspension and Rear Diff

Well, it's been awhile! Travel, life, etc.
    Front suspension is completed. I learned a lot (the hard way) about properly preparing for each task. For example, I forgot to grease the sides of the lower control arm bushings, so I had remove/reinstall that part. My biggest challenge was that my bushings for the lower shock mount were too small, so I had to use some shims to get it correct.
    lower_shock_gap.JPG
    I saved some time by wire-brushing the mount for the upper ball joints - that helped remove the powder coating in the threads and made them much easier to install.
    I'm excited to have this part done!
    front_suspension.JPG
    Had my brother out for a visit, so he was able to help install the rear differential. Used some ratchet straps to help with the process:
    diff_install.jpg
    After a little persuading, got all 4 bolts in and torqued.
    diff.jpg
    I've been using witness marks on the bolts that I've torqued to 1) Remember they were done and 2) See if they move in the future.
    I also paid a visit to Whitby Motorcars and met with Jeff (about 1 1/2 hours north of me). Very impressive operation, and he took the time to answer all my questions about how they prep the body, paint, etc.
    Next steps will be power steering rack and more drilling!
    Last edited by robmccon; 11-01-2022 at 09:49 PM.
    Rob
    Mk4 Complete Kit, #10465
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

IRS, Rear Brakes, Fuel Tank

Finally got the IRS completed. The biggest challenge was installing the new wheel studs in the hub. I tried a few methods but ended up using a Lisle Wheel Stud installer. I was able to mount the hub in my bench vice (using a large screwdriver to keep the hub from spinning) and pulled the studs in with a large breaker bar. I was nervous to cut the ear off the spindle, but it wasn't too bad with a sawzall and a 16TPI blade.
    Hub.JPG
    I have the 2015 IRS 11.65" brakes. Spent more time on them than I should have. TIP: Temporarily mount the caliper without the pads to ensure it's centered on the rotor. I ended up adding an additional washer to the caliper mounting to get it centered properly. As far as attaching the e-brake cables, it's definitely important to open that mounting hole to an oval shape. That allows you to get the cable in past the lower 12-point mounting bolt.
    RearBrakes.JPG
    Got the fuel tank mounted and installed the fuel level sender, my Holley Sniper Fuel pump, tank vent and filler neck. Everything went smoothly, didn't even have too much trouble with the tank mounting straps.
    FuelTank.JPG
    Next up are the pedal box, brake lines, fuel lines. Also sending out some panels this week for powder coating. I just want to thank everyone on this forum! The tips, pictures and help are invaluable!
    Rob
    Mk4 Complete Kit, #10465
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Blueprint Engine/Transmission Delivery!

Almost as exciting as the initial Mk4 delivery was receiving my engine/transmission yesterday from Blueprint! The delivery from Fedex Freight was smooth, the driver was able to get the combo into the garage with the pallet jack. We then set it on a couple of dollies, so I can move the crate around until I'm ready to install.
    I placed my order back in August:
    -347 with Holley Sniper FI
    -Tremec TKX with .68 5th gear and midshift kit

Everything is well-labeled and the instructions are comprehensive.
    BlueprintEngTrans.jpg
    BlueprintDelivery.jpg
    Rob
    Mk4 Complete Kit, #10465
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Footbox, Insulation, Pedal Box and Front Brake Lines

Got most of the footbox panels installed, took the time to cut and apply the sound/heat insulation. Someone mentioned using cardboard to create templates of the panels-great tip! Would have been much more challenging after the panels were installed! My Milwaukee M12 Rivet Gun has been a great investment as well.
    footbox.JPG

Installed the pedal box, and ran the front brake lines. I chose to go with NiCopp, found the correct lengths at my local Advanced Auto Parts. Very easy to bend.
    frbrake1.JPGfrbrake2.JPGfrbrake3.JPGfrbrake4.JPG

Now starting on some of the wiring, goal is to get at least the engine harness situated before I install the engine/transmission.
    Rob
    Mk4 Complete Kit, #10465
    Build Thread

16. Likes Ted G, 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Engine In!!!

The engine install happened a couple months ago, just now getting caught up on the build thread.
    engine1.jpgengine2.jpgengine3.jpgengine4.jpg

Overall, things went very smooth. My feedback for others at this step:
    -2 ton hoist is a must, just for the added reach of the boom.
    -Engine leveler was a big help to get the engine and transmission at the right angle.
    -Stacked 2x4s under the front wheels to help the legs of the engine hoist clear.
    -It took a few tries to line up the engine mounts with the brackets on the frame.
    -Like many others, I used shims under the rear TKX mount (3/4").
    -I had to cut of a small tab on the driver's side of the transmission that interfered with the mount for the e-brake.

As always, it's great having family/friends to lend a helping hand!
    Last edited by robmccon; 11-02-2023 at 08:05 AM.
    Rob
    Mk4 Complete Kit, #10465
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Brake/Clutch Reservoirs and Headers

Finally figured out what type of reservoirs I wanted and where to mount them. I ended up using 3 of the FF ones mounted to an 11" length of angle aluminum (3/4"x1 1/2").
    reservoirs.JPG

Also installed my BBK shorty headers (I'll be doing undercar exhaust, more on that later).
    header.JPG

Hoping to do my first start around the beginning of December!
    Rob
    Mk4 Complete Kit, #10465
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been slow going, but am picking up the pace! Planning now for my first start this month.
    Used this 1 3/8" grommet, fit the opening in the front of the footbox perfectly. Passed the 3 brake/clutch reservoir hoses through it.
    reservoirhoses.JPG

Got the brakes bled, using a combination of gravity and the "hold and press" method. Pedal feels pretty solid, I'll know more once it's rolling.
    Hydraulic clutch bleed was pretty straightforward. Thought I could just use a vacuum pump and pull the fluid through, but that didn't work. Used the way recommended by Blueprint and while messy, it worked great!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgc7ApCMTGA
    Rob
    Mk4 Complete Kit, #10465
    Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Radiator and Hoses

The installation of the radiator itself was straightforward-used the Breeze upper and lower mounts. Used the nose aluminum to set the approximate angle (51 degrees).
    radiatorfront.JPG radiatorback.JPG

For the upper hose, I combined two off-the-shelf rubber ones. For the lower, I used the provided flexible tubing and collars. Great tip from the forum, I added a few rivets to each end of the tubing to help keep it connected. I also replaced the provided clamps with ones from Norma. To help keep the lower hose from sagging I riveted a pipe strap from the hardware store lined with rubber.
    upperhose.JPG lowerhose.JPG

Finally, used the provided overflow tank.
    radiatorreservoir.JPG

On to first start!
    Last edited by robmccon; 02-16-2024 at 12:57 PM.
    Rob
    Mk4 Complete Kit, #10465
    Build Thread

21. Likes zarnold liked this post