Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Traverse City Mark IV Build

Post Thanks / Like

Traverse City Mark IV Build

My first post on my Factory Five Mark IV build. The details of the order are as follows

Mark IV Complete Kit
    Powder coated Frame with cutouts
    IRS
    Halibrand Tire Package
    Driver and Passenger Rollbars
    Koni Shocks
    Wilwood brakes

Engine is coming from Mike Forte
    427W
    Sniper EFI
    Tremec 5 speed transmission

I took delivery on November 4 and over the past three weeks, I have gotten a frame dolly and body buck built and the body separated from the frame. Over the past week, I have been unpacking boxes and taking an inventory of everything.
    Attached Images Attached Images

25th Anniversary #9772 toadster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    welcome! Looks like it's gonna be a sweet setup! and a nice home where it's built!
    Todd
    25th Anniversary MkIV | #20 of 25 | Build #9772
    https://cobradreams.com/ <- my build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Another 427 brother! Welcome from Grand Rapids.
    Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome from down here in Lake Orion. Congratulations on your delivery. Nice build and nice setup. Keep us updated.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking forward to following your build, as you'll be around six months ahead of me. My kit is to be delivered in April; I'll be building it in Pen****er.

Post Thanks / Like

Additional Photos

Some additional photos. The plan this week is to finish the inventory and get some panels drilled and sent off to powder coating. Looks like I am missing quite a few items so will probably also work on a game plan of what I can actually work on until I get some additional items

IMG_3094.jpgIMG_3095.jpgIMG_3096.jpgIMG_3065.jpg

7. Likes mladen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard, Bake. Fantastic looking shop for your build. The four-post lift will be handy.

P.S. some nice eye candy in the background of your last photo.
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like

First body panels attached

Over the past several weeks, I have been busy taking inventory and going through every box. I am missing a lot of items (which were noted by Factory Five) so my plan of getting the front and rear ends completed first may have to be modified (no brake or shocks yet to start with). I got the first two panels powder coated and attached yesterday and plan to work on the front end this week. I bought a pneumatic rivet gun and I can't imagine doing all the rivets with a hand held.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Pneumatic riveter is the way to go. That plastic catch piece will have to go in tight areas.
    FFR 9883 MKIV ,427 Windsor engine
    TKX 5 speed, Three Link 3.55 gears
    Power Steering, Leather Seats
    18" Wheels and Tires, Drop Trunk
    Fun Package

Post Thanks / Like

Little progress

I have not made a lot of progress over the Holidays with travel and other commitments but I do have the front suspension and IRS installed although still needs some work due to missing part. For the front end, I still need spindles, brakes, shocks and tie rod ends. For the rear I need the IRS fastener package (for now just held in my some temporary fasteners), brakes and shocks. Over the next week, I will probably start getting as many body panels temporarily installed (with cleco fasteners) and then look at doing wiring, brake and fuel lines. After that, I might be on hold for awhile until I get some backordered parts from Factory Five. I have had very little success in getting a response from Factory Five about potential shipping dates

IMG_3319.jpgIMG_3315.jpgIMG_3317.jpgIMG_3318.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Aluminum panels, wiring, brake and fuel lines should keep you busy for awhile! There are other things you can do. Just ask for ideas. Slightly confused though. You say you're missing spindles. But I see them in the picture of your front suspension.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Should have said front hubs vs. spindles. I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has on next steps once I get get through the noted items.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bake813 View Post
    I would appreciate any thoughts anyone has on next steps once I get get through the noted items.
    There's a ton you can do with temporarily fitting all of the aluminum panels. You can run brake and fuel lines to a point. Fit the firewall. Prepare the dash. Mount the fuse panel and work on wiring. You could even mount (and remove) the radiator. Mount the gas tank.

If you're not afraid to skip around in the manual some there is enough to keep you busy for a few weeks.
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like

Update

Been traveling quite a bit since Christmas but the good news is I think I have all my parts with the exception of brakes and shocks. I have made some progress and concentrating on the rear of the car with the IRS mostly put together and currently working on the drop trunk. I got it rough fit today but needs some clean-up and to be permanently attached. Hoping to have the rear end pretty much together before I leave town again on the 15th.ff5.jpgff4.jpgff3.jpgff2.jpgFF 1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Build Update

I have finally been home for a few weeks and able to make some progress on the build. I have all the aluminum panels attached that I plan on until I get a running car. Leaving off the upper trunk, right hand rear quarter and transmission tunnel for now so I have access to fuel lines, etc. Also, got the electrical roughed in and some heat shield put in. I am considering heat shield in the trunk (mainly for noise and vibration), has anyone done this? Also, considering doubling up on the heat shield in the footbox area. Thoughts?

Over the next week, my plan is to work on the dash layout, fabricate a center console for under the dash, finish up fuel and brake lines (I am changing a few things on these again) and start to put together the interior.

Still waiting for engine and transmission from Mike Forte (hopefully by early April), brakes and shocks (no idea of time frame on these)

It is staring to really come together and look like a car.

March 1.jpgMarch 2.jpgMarch 3.jpgMarch 4.jpg

17. Likes Salty Chief 35 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Say hey from Suttons Bay! I'm just north of you by 20-30mins. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on my build within the year.
    Coming together nicely. Did you get your powertrain from Forte yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Roadster Update

It has been awhile since I posted but continue to make progress on the build Just finished off the interior last week and took chassis back to the painter. The body is through the first coat of primer and should go into final paint color (classic blue with white stripes) shortly. The plan is to put everything back together in early April and have it ready for cruising this summer

IMG_4354.jpgPrep.jpgInterior.jpgPrimer.jpg