Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: NEW XT1 Pre runner forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

NEW XT1 Pre runner forum!

Welcome to the new XT1 Pre-Runner Forum! If you are - like me - excited to learn about the new XT1, you're in the right place!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

2. Likes 65 Cobra Dude liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Why I NEED an XT1!

I really am excited about this NEW Factory Five Category and product! I live in So-Cal, one of the hotbeds of an offroad culture that I'm going to do my best introduce the XT1 to!

By that I mean I wanna build one!

Here are some pics from last weekend's trip to Big Bear. I went with my son Grant, and my brother-in-law Davey. They both have Toyota FJ Cruisers, which are very off-road capable:

Now tell me: What's missing from these pics??!?

An XT1!

Been holding out a while, waiting for my next build. I think my wait will soon be over.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

4. Likes RoadRacer, 65 Cobra Dude, Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice looking truck

Post Thanks / Like
    I am still wrapping my head around this offering. Not a fan of off-roading a vehicle and would rather take a horse up the trail but that is me. I guess there is a good market for this as FF knows their stuff.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

7. Thanks Derald Rice thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Kyle out here in the southwest there are hundreds of thousands, if not millions of acres that are set aside as Off-Road and there is a whole off road culture that is expanding rapidly. It was evident at the last SEMA. The truck set up at SEMA has a suspension that should put a stock truck to shame in the dirt. I don't mean that to disparage stock trucks at all. I just mean that the chassis FFR has designed, with 21 inches of travel out back and 16 up front means it will be much more at home in the dirt than on the highway frankly. I have a buddy who has a race team that competes in Baja and other off road events and he's very interested in this truck. A decent purpose-build pre-runner is a ton of money currently and having the ability to just plop a body on to a dirt-ready chassis is going to appeal to a big audience IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have seen numerous AutoX and track day videos for existing FFR products. When the Pre-Runner is put to the test in the hands of amateurs it could look like this.
    Yeah, this is another YouTube star, so self-promotion to scroll through:

https://autos.yahoo.com/guy-jumps-ra...200000499.html

Looks expensive ($93K) but not concerning to the owner.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Also missing: a second Vizsla!

11. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J R Jones View Post
    We have seen numerous AutoX and track day videos for existing FFR products. When the Pre-Runner is put to the test in the hands of amateurs it could look like this.
    Yeah, this is another YouTube star, so self-promotion to scroll through:

https://autos.yahoo.com/guy-jumps-ra...200000499.html

Looks expensive ($93K) but not concerning to the owner.
    jim
    What a waste of a nice truck.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're a fan of stupid truck tricks, visit Silver Lake State Park (Michigan) and go to the ORV area. (They have three areas - one for hikers, one for Mac Woods tours, and one for off road vehicles) I've rented jeeps to go out on the dunes and it's a blast. Personally, I think people are crazy to drive their own vehicle out there. In addition to beating the crap out of your vehicle, you get sand in mechanical places that don't like sand. I've heard of numerous broken axles and more than one guy who planted his truck on its nose after going over the top of a dune. I'm hopeful that the pre-runner will be able to withstand most of this abuse. I also suspect that the vast majority of pre-runner buyers won't be crazy. What I really want to know (and this is probably not the place to ask, but I'm already here...) is what's the difference between the FFR truck and a "race" truck? My understanding is that a pre-runner is something you use to do dry runs on off-road race routes. The FFR truck sure looks like it could handle the whole thing!
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously the guy in the video, based on his talks and the vehicles parked in the garage, has tooooooo much money to waste on vehicles.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am more interested in how they are going to have these buildable by a weekend DIYer. I have separated a F-150 from its chassis, it's no easy feat unless you have access to a lift. I foresee this being a deal breaker for some potential customers. Not something that you can jack stand build. Unless they have figured a way to remove the old chassis in sections and of course add the new chassis in sections all in a 8ft high garage ceiling.

Love the idea but eagerly awaiting to see Erik's build videos on how this is going to be done.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will and do plan on taking time to document how the cab comes off and goes back on .... I do have a 2 post lift in the garage but I am purposely NOT going to use it to show that the cab swap can be done without a lift or folk lift.... the larger "issue" is the length of the truck or F150 itself. In my case in order for the F150 to fit in the garage I have to clear the back wall and basically touch the wall with the front of the truck then close the garage door.... at which point I can no longer walk around the truck.... so to get to the other side of the garage I have to slide through the back seats....lol.... so logistically this will probably be the most "interesting" part of the build to manage. I will probably mitigate this by waiting to put the bed pieces on until the very end. More to follow
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik W. Treves View Post
    I will and do plan on taking time to document how the cab comes off and goes back on .... I do have a 2 post lift in the garage but I am purposely NOT going to use it to show that the cab swap can be done without a lift or folk lift.... the larger "issue" is the length of the truck or F150 itself. In my case in order for the F150 to fit in the garage I have to clear the back wall and basically touch the wall with the front of the truck then close the garage door.... at which point I can no longer walk around the truck.... so to get to the other side of the garage I have to slide through the back seats....lol.... so logistically this will probably be the most "interesting" part of the build to manage. I will probably mitigate this by waiting to put the bed pieces on until the very end. More to follow
    I didn't even consider the length as I park my potential donor outside right now.

294327738_5479434792079227_5011730254890019454_n.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    My personal best on/off road vehicle was the eighties Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero/Dodge Raider. Like a Land Cruiser a world vehicle popular in Africa and Australia. I had two with the 2.6 ltr four as the rust belt was a limiting factor.
    This off road event from Japan provided competition of various brands, Ford, Jeep Porsche, Toyota, Mitsubishi (@ 10.47) and others.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JGdqazAFNU

I do not see huge power as an advantage. Agility, (wheelbase) and bump steer are advantageous. A lot of these, like the Pajero, are ~92.5 in wheelbase.
    It seems 46.5 inch longer wheelbase and 1000hp is not the answer for this off road event.
    jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t think Erik has any plans to take his truck to Japan

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just here to comment on the Vizsla. 'Beatiful!

We're on our 3rd and wouldn't want any other dog.
    MK4, 427LS3, IRS, T56 Magnum, Wilwoods

21. Thanks David Hodgkins thanked for this post
    Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

RallyCross events

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I don’t think Erik has any plans to take his truck to Japan

Jeff
    Japan would be an expensive haul.
    I have seen a winter RallyCross event in WI, one needs to bring his "A" game, not for the fragile or faint of heart. An acquaintance took his Chumpcar, it did not end well.
    RallyCross has a following with 37 national events scheduled though AUG. SCCA sanctions events:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rall...:1673904996021

jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm late to the party here, but for a real pre-runner, this chassis is about 10" short on wheel travel at each end. The lower a arms should mount damned near to the same bolt. Trailing arm rear and close to, or over, 30" travel. Front should be 21" minimum.

This looks like a really nice looking street truck that can kinda play in the dirt. With only 16" travel up front, it better be 4x4.

24. Thanks J R Jones thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do you think this would do to the payload capacity of a stock F-150? Increase? Decrease?

Does the rear suspension allow for a flat bed to be installed?

I'm wondering if a camper could be installed...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on my previous research into bed campers for an F150, I think you really need a super duty for one that are worth having. You can find a few that are light enough for an F150, but they are very minimalist.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am a big offroad fan too.This is my 1978 fj40 I have been slowly turning into a rock crawler for years ( diff lockers, power steering conversion, SUA 4"lift, 1.5" shackles, 6 point roll bar welded to the frame, bead locker 33x12.50 super swampers, 6 point harnesses, shorty bumper for better approach angles, etc, etc). Really interested in this project!!!!
    FFR MK4 Roadster (9945) complete kit, delivered 12/4/2020, First start and go kart 5/7/2021. Legal 8/14/2021, Paint finished 7/18/2022 (Viking Blue). 347BPE CI, TKO600, Moser 8.8 3link 3.55, Halibrand 17x9 17x10.5, power steering. Carbon Fiber Dash. Carbon Fiber trans tunnel, adjustable Kirkey Lowback Vintage seats, Vintage gauges, RT drop trunk mod, FFmetal drop battery mod and trans tunnel, Forte front sway bar. Forte mechanical throttle linkage, RT gas pedal. www.covespringsfarm.com

28. Likes Geoff H liked this post