Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Seat Recline Mount Angle

Post Thanks / Like

Seat Recline Mount Angle

So I'm in the process of mounting my seats and had a quick question regarding orientation. I wanted to elevate the front of the seat to give it a bit of a reclined backwards position (which I believe is pretty popular and something the Breeze kit does).

My question, for those of you who have the breeze kit or have made their own - is how much higher have you mounted the front of the seat relative the back (e.g., an inch?) or what relative seat angle is ideal with respect to the floor pan?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    BUILD THREAD: The Brew City Cobra

Current Build: MK4 Complete Kit, Delivered December 2021; First Start November 9, 2022; Go-Cart November 23, 2022; Carbureted 427W, TKX, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    I cut a piece of 1" square tubung to go under the front bar of the seat that has the mounting holes in it. My seats were just mounted to the floor with no adjustment though. Gave it a little tilt back, seemed just right to me.
    MK4 #11012 picked up 04/16/24
    351W, 3 link, single roll bar
    MK4 #10616 picked up 4/10/23
    302w, 4 link, 17's, dual roll bar SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars SOLD

3. Thanks BrewCityCobra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Higgybulin View Post
    I cut a piece of 1" square tubung to go under the front bar of the seat that has the mounting holes in it. My seats were just mounted to the floor with no adjustment though. Gave it a little tilt back, seemed just right to me.
    Mine is similar. It is kind of a pain but I drove around w/ some chunks of wood locating the seat. A piece behind it so it would not slide away from the pedals. A piece under the front for exactly the same reason you are thinking. I put a 1" piece right under the front edge and then I moved it backwards to simulate a thicker piece. I duct taped it to the bottom of the seat.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

5. Thanks BrewCityCobra thanked for this post
    Likes steno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What ever is comfortable for you. What someone else has done doesn't mean it will be right for you.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

7. Thanks BrewCityCobra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the past I've raised the front with washers and longer bolts. It was different seats but the concept is the same. Kept adding washers until I liked it.

Once done the seat and position felt much better and less like I was sliding forward during braking. The back angle was much more comfortable as well.

Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

9. Thanks BrewCityCobra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have these:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kir-99214

Helped me get my seats exactly where I wanted it.
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

11. Likes BrewCityCobra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    What ever is comfortable for you. What someone else has done doesn't mean it will be right for you.
    Abstolutely. I just wanted to get a feel so I knew where to start.

Current Build: MK4 Complete Kit, Delivered December 2021; First Start November 9, 2022; Go-Cart November 23, 2022; Carbureted 427W, TKX, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Just remember the more the angle of the seat back, the further your seat sits forward. t may affect your leg room. I needed my seat mounted as far back as possible.

14. Thanks BrewCityCobra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Breeze seat mount then added 1 inch square tubes to raise the seat up a little.
    Steering wheel clearance was not a problem because I have a Flaming River tilt column.
    The seat is mounted as far back as it will go.

16. Thanks BrewCityCobra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    Just remember the more the angle of the seat back, the further your seat sits forward. t may affect your leg room. I needed my seat mounted as far back as possible.
    I'm not the tallest guy in the world (5'10"ish) so I don't think that will be an issue but I appreciate you bring that up. I'll make sure to take that into consideration. I do have some adjustment rails I was planning on installing so that may help as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    I might be late to the party here but I wanted to chime in to be sure it's considered if the driver is NOT looking through the top, curved portion of the windshield. This is why I went through great lengths to get my seats lower. 2" makes a lot of difference. I might be 5'-11" now, was 6'-0" when I was a young 'un but that's another story...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NiceGuyEddie View Post
    I might be late to the party here but I wanted to chime in to be sure it's considered if the driver is NOT looking through the top, curved portion of the windshield. This is why I went through great lengths to get my seats lower. 2" makes a lot of difference. I might be 5'-11" now, was 6'-0" when I was a young 'un but that's another story...
    An excellent point. The sliding rails themselves are already about an inch thick so I suppose I will have to take that into account when mocking up the recline as well.

I plan on test-fitting the body shell here in the next few weeks (to double check the dash, locate the seats, and other items) so I'll try to mock up the windshield at that same time to see if the top is an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Brew. For reference, the Breeze instructions say the front is raised up at 7 deg. angle. I measured about 1.75" in the front.

Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

21. Thanks BrewCityCobra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Herb427sc,

Can you tell me a little more on your mod that added the Flaming River tilt column? What model number, any insight on the mod, what model of Roadster, and of course any installation tips.

Thanks

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewCityCobra View Post
    I'm not the tallest guy in the world (5'10"ish) so I don't think that will be an issue but I appreciate you bring that up. I'll make sure to take that into consideration. I do have some adjustment rails I was planning on installing so that may help as well.
    Heh I used to be 5'10".... Now I'm closer to 5'8". The difficult part for me (other then getting old) is having the seat far enough forward I can properly operate the clutch and not having the steering wheel in my chest. I play a lot with the recline amount to get the proper steering wheel distance.
    MK3 Challenge Car, Boss 347, Sniper 2 EFI

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maclonchas View Post
    Herb427sc,

Can you tell me a little more on your mod that added the Flaming River tilt column? What model number, any insight on the mod, what model of Roadster, and of course any installation tips.

Thanks

Bill
    Interested in this mod as well. Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maclonchas View Post
    Herb427sc,

Thanks

Bill
    This is on FFR 1901K purchased in 1999, so it is either a MK1 or MK2. 32 inch Flaming River tilt column. I made an aluminum block with a 2 inch hole
    for the column to slide through. This took the place of the bearing block on top of the firewall crossmember. I used all Flaming River parts from the quick ratio
    rack to the steering column. I have no pictures. I am in Florida and the car is in Tennessee.