Stewart is delivering my kit tomorrow, so its time to start my build thread.

I’m Geoff Harlow, a 66-year old recently retired CPA firm partner who has dreamed about building a MK IV for many years. I put myself through college working in garages but haven’t done much mechanical work for 40 years. I’m hoping it’s like riding a bike but am realistic about my skills having atrophied.

I attended the build school in December, 2017 along with my daughter Kay, planning to order a kit soon thereafter, but then life got in the way. My CPA firm merged into a much larger firm, wife and I bought a lake house in Michigan, Kay got married, I was diagnosed with lymphoma and underwent treatment (all good so far), we sold our home of 35 years and moved into a high-rise condo in Chicago, and I was involved in several special projects for some civic organizations with which I’m involved. But I’m finally getting my kit.

I’ll be building the car at our home in Pentwater, Michigan. It’s configured as follows:
Mk IV complete kit
Powdercoated chassis
Lowback vintage racing seats
Power steering
IRS
Vintage FFR gauges
Wipers
F & R swaybars
Vinyl dash with glovebox
Driver & passenger chrome rollbars

From outside vendors I plan to purchase:
GasN headers and Touring side pipes
Breeze side view mirrors, storage cubby, and engine compartment battery mounting kit.
Turn signal conversion, source TBD.
Countless other things I’ll decide I need during my build.

Engine – to be determined. I’m having a hard time deciding between a 347 or 427, most likely from BPE. Opinions on which motor to choose are welcome. Either way I’m going with EFI.

I’m not in a hurry with the build, and expect it to take at least 2 years, and maybe three. It’s the journey, right? I’ll be working on it during April to October as we split our time between Pentwater and Chicago.

I apologize in advance for the many dumb questions I will no doubt be asking. Please be gentle. I honestly value and appreciate any advice, suggestions, or feedback anyone is willing to provide. Here we go!!