BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Removing / Installing Transmission Gears From Shafts

Post Thanks / Like

Removing / Installing Transmission Gears From Shafts

Had a great two sessions at Thunderhill Raceway Saturday with my 818. On the first lap of the third session, I heard a pop, clack, clack, clack... and limped it back to the pits. Obviously, something wrong in the tranny. I also noticed coolant leaking. The coolant hose to the turbo was slipping off and I'm certain it would have completely blown off before the end of a full session if I didn't pull off because to the tranny, so I guess it could have been even worst.

I opened up the tranny and 4 ring gear teeth were missing and the pinion gear was also damaged. I'm not sure why it failed. The obvious answer is the pinion depth or backlash were wrong. I installed the LSD last year. I didn't change the pinion depth shims so I think I can eliminate that if I assume they were correct before. Could this be the result of me not getting the backlash right? I've ordered a proper "flapper" dial indicator gauge for when I rebuild it. I should have done that the first time. They are only about $20.

Now I have this tranny with a damaged output shaft and another with a blown out third gear. My plan is to take third gear off this shaft and put it on the other shaft.

My question: How do I strip off and reinstall all the gears, spacers, etc. off of the output shaft? I recall a YouTube video on it, but now I can't find it. And I recall if not done properly, damage will be done. I'm looking at the FSM, but any tips or other references would be much appreciated.

On the tow truck ride home I saw an 818 on a trailer with numbers on the door going the opposite direction on the freeway towards the track. Who did I miss? I assume you were heading to Thunderhill for Sunday. I was supposed to be there Sunday too.
    Last edited by Dave 53; 04-24-2023 at 01:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave 53 View Post
    ... I installed the LSD last year. I didn't change the pinion depth shims so I think I can eliminate that if I assume they were correct before. Could this be the result of me not getting the backlash right? I've ordered a proper "flapper" dial indicator gauge for when I rebuild it. I should have done that the first time. They are only about $20.
    You need to check the pinion depth when you change the differential since that effects the ring gear position. Also the back lash needs to be checked.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave 53 View Post
    ... I'm looking at the FSM, but any tips or other references would be much appreciated.
    If this is a 5 speed I have the 5MT Technicians Reference Booklet that is very helpful in addition to the FSM. Send my a PM with your email and I can send it to you.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the booklet. Thanks!

A thought I just had... When I blew out third gear on my old tranny, I pulled the LSD out of it which has the old tranny ring gear. Then I pulled the open diff out of my backup tranny and simply dropped in the LSD, with the old tranny ring gear. Now I'm thinking I should have swapped the ring gears on the LSD.