Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MKII spindle upgrade

Post Thanks / Like

MKII spindle upgrade

I have a MKII with Fox spindles and brakes. I am planning on a upgrade on the brakes. I see here on the forum a lot of guys are going with the 94-95 spindles and brakes.Will the SN95 spindles widen the track any over the fox spindles? What would I need to install the 94-95 setup on my MKII? I know I need the newer brackets from FFR. But what else will I need? Roger
    Last edited by gtaroger; 03-15-2015 at 08:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know how the fox spindles compare but the 96 and up spindles are 8mm wider than the 94-95 spindles. I have a set of both and I have compared. I think this is due to how the lower ball joint socket is placed. All brakes can be used on both. You can tell the difference by the tie rod arm. The 94-95 have a dog leg arm and the 96 and up have a strait arm. This can affect your bump steer because of where your outer tie rod is placed. I think most have found, I have too, that the straight leg works better for bump steer if you can accommodate the extra 8mm on each side. I could not and went with the 95 spindles. Still working out the bump steer but I think I have it but if I do need more adjustment I will have to make some major mods to lower my rack. Right now my outer tie rod is right on top of the arm and may need to go lower. Right where the arm is! That is why I would need to lower the rack over 1 1/2" to bring the tie rod to the bottom. As for the spindle adapters I have a set for both pin drive and standard width if you need them. I would look at the SAI mod though as I did. Improves a lot. Don't know if you have pin drive or standard but that will determine what you need to do to accomplish the SAI mod. The SAI mod does away with the FFR spindle bracket.
    Rod
    FFR 3749 MkII, 428PI, TKO-600, IRS, Pin-Drive, Tri-States body, Under Car Exhaust
    Rod's BB Street Cobra Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Rod, I don't have pin drive. Have you lowered your rack any?I don't plan on doing the mods now, it' getting to close to driving season.But I plan on getting every thing ready for next winters down time.I do have some bumpsteer problems with the fox spindles.Thats one of the reasons I'm thinking of going with the SN 98 spindles.Is there a great advantage with going with the 13" rotors? Roger

Post Thanks / Like
    I run the FFR MkIV spindles on my MkII Challenge car, as FFR provides the spindles and a new weld on bracket and then you can bolt up the MkIV spindles.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    94-95 spindles are a bolt on option that will not affect the track width. You will just need the 4 hole upper bracket from FFR. I happen to have a set for sale if you are interested.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    The other option is to go w/ the FFR spindles. A bit on the expensive side but they come w/ the bearing hub and they incorporate the SAI mod so no need for that kit or for the 4 hole adapter brackets. You are aware though that, w/ any of the 94-95, 96+ or FFR spindles, you need new calipers and rotors correct? I wouldn't go to larger front brakes. FFRs already have too much front brake so going bigger is not better unless you are going to track the car.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rlampman View Post
    I don't know how the fox spindles compare but the 96 and up spindles are 8mm wider than the 94-95 spindles. I have a set of both and I have compared. I think this is due to how the lower ball joint socket is placed. All brakes can be used on both. You can tell the difference by the tie rod arm. The 94-95 have a dog leg arm and the 96 and up have a strait arm. This can affect your bump steer because of where your outer tie rod is placed. I think most have found, I have too, that the straight leg works better for bump steer if you can accommodate the extra 8mm on each side. I could not and went with the 95 spindles. Still working out the bump steer but I think I have it but if I do need more adjustment I will have to make some major mods to lower my rack. Right now my outer tie rod is right on top of the arm and may need to go lower. Right where the arm is! That is why I would need to lower the rack over 1 1/2" to bring the tie rod to the bottom. As for the spindle adapters I have a set for both pin drive and standard width if you need them. I would look at the SAI mod though as I did. Improves a lot. Don't know if you have pin drive or standard but that will determine what you need to do to accomplish the SAI mod. The SAI mod does away with the FFR spindle bracket.
    Rod
    That is incorrect the 94-95 with dog leg is the preferred spindle, it helps with bump steer or spend the extra and get the new FFR spindles.

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys,Im going with the 94-95 spindles and the 11" rotors. Roger