BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Anyone have a shallow glovebox?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have a shallow glovebox?

Its been 10 years since by first build and I'm finding a few vendors are no longer out there including Alex’s roadster glove box. I just want a shallow box that will fit ppw and give me the look I want on the passenger side. I know many have crafted their own but I'm really not condifent I will be happy with my end result so I wanted to see if anyone happened to have one of Alex's boxes they never used or if anyone is building anything like it out there. I want the competition dash layout with glovebox and CDXXVII has my vision of perfect in his car. The carbon fiber dash from ffr has a great looking glovebox but not the look I'm going for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan D View Post
    Its been 10 years since by first build and I'm finding a few vendors are no longer out there including Alex’s roadster glove box. I just want a shallow box that will fit ppw and give me the look I want on the passenger side. I know many have crafted their own but I'm really not condifent I will be happy with my end result so I wanted to see if anyone happened to have one of Alex's boxes they never used or if anyone is building anything like it out there. I want the competition dash layout with glovebox and CDXXVII has my vision of perfect in his car. The carbon fiber dash from ffr has a great looking glovebox but not the look I'm going for.
    I have one that's been sitting on the shelf for years but I still plan on installing it one of these days. Thanks for the reminder. I'll at least give your post a bump to the top.
    Last edited by JohnnyB; 06-06-2023 at 04:00 PM.

3. Likes Jonathan D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also needed a shallow glove box since I have a heater. I modified a full depth box, by slicing off the back. Then used shelf pins and a lock I bought on Amazon. I laminated veneer to the door to match my dash.

IMG_6941.jpegIMG_6948.jpegIMG_6949.jpegIMG_6941.jpegIMG_6948.jpegIMG_6949.jpeg

5. Thanks Junbug thanked for this post
    Likes jrcuz, Junbug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    vtullomk4, that glovebox is unique and well done, nice job! I like that pocket to keep things from falling out when you open the door, never seen anything like that in these cars.

7. Thanks vtullomk4 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job! I'd given up hope of a glovebox with the heater in there. You just initiated another project for me.

9. Thanks vtullomk4 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another home grown version here. I have a heater, so the inside of the glovebox is actually just a piece of aluminum that was bent outwards at the ends so that it touched the back side of the dash panel. The door is the blank that came out of the hole that was cut for the opening and then I reinforced it with some thin MDF and covered the whole thing with leather. The handle is a "thumb pull" and lock are from the cabinet section at a local RV equipment store.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

11. Likes BRRT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did something similar w/ the carbon fiber dash + glovebox + heater. I pushed the heater into the engine bay as much as I could, then cut the back off the glove box and riveted the end cap back on. Detailed on my build thread HERE.
    Darryl [dbo_texas]
    MKIV #9644 (build thread) (Index)
    MK4 Complete Kit | Gen2 crate Coyote | Tremec T56, 3.55 IRS | power steering | hydroboost | dual roll bars | FFR carbon fiber dash | 18" Halibrands + Wilwoods | RT drop trunk kit & turn signal | front battery mount | saddle leather Intatrim Stoneleigh seats + interior accents

13. Likes Jonathan D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Another home grown version here. I have a heater, so the inside of the glovebox is actually just a piece of aluminum that was bent outwards at the ends so that it touched the back side of the dash panel. The door is the blank that came out of the hole that was cut for the opening and then I reinforced it with some thin MDF and covered the whole thing with leather. The handle is a "thumb pull" and lock are from the cabinet section at a local RV equipment store.
    I really like how simple that sounds, with the heater I didnt want to spend too much time and effort on the shallow box but this was an excellent idea. How did you attached to the back side of the dash?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure there was someone who 3D printed a glovebox. The technology and durability of filaments today make this a viable option.

Mick

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Alex's glovebox on my build. The cubby part of the glovebox appears to be heat-molded black ABS, similar (same?) as what Alex used for his wheel well liners. It's smooth on one side and has a textured pattern on the other side. I don't know enough about fabricating ABS to tell if it was vacuum formed or just heated over a form to achieve the shape, but I'm guessing someone out in the vendor community could make these with some simple tooling.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick40 View Post
    I'm sure there was someone who 3D printed a glovebox. The technology and durability of filaments today make this a viable option.

Mick
    Good option I'm sure, maybe I need to start looking at 3D printing as I hear lots of uses for it and I'm sure my kids would love it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    I used Alex's glovebox on my build. The cubby part of the glovebox appears to be heat-molded black ABS, similar (same?) as what Alex used for his wheel well liners. It's smooth on one side and has a textured pattern on the other side. I don't know enough about fabricating ABS to tell if it was vacuum formed or just heated over a form to achieve the shape, but I'm guessing someone out in the vendor community could make these with some simple tooling.
    Sure wish Alex was still making them, and kicking myself for not ordering one long ago from him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick40 View Post

Mick
    This would be an exceptionally large print for most printers. Typically you'd have to print two halves and join them.

I'd love to find out what people think about what 3D parts would be really helpful. If there's enough interest I could probably make some models and print some to test out.

This one would likely take getting a new printer to print in one piece because it looks like the long side is about 14.5" and most 3D printers can only do 8.6"x8.6"x8.6" at a time plus or minus an inch.

Let me know if there's actually a need and I'll start working on the model if there are enough people that are interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by iconicflux View Post
    This would be an exceptionally large print for most printers. Typically you'd have to print two halves and join them.

I'd love to find out what people think about what 3D parts would be really helpful. If there's enough interest I could probably make some models and print some to test out.

This one would likely take getting a new printer to print in one piece because it looks like the long side is about 14.5" and most 3D printers can only do 8.6"x8.6"x8.6" at a time plus or minus an inch.

Let me know if there's actually a need and I'll start working on the model if there are enough people that are interested.
    My big printer is 350x350mm (13.7" x 13.7"). Math tells me that it's 19.4" corner-to-corner.

A 14.5" wide glovebox may be doable, depending on the curves on the ends.
    Rob Windsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Which printer is that? I’ve been looking at upgrading from my Prusa w/ MMu to a larger format printer.

The other thing I’ve been trying to find is the metal filament that allows for debound and sintering in a home microwave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Voron Trident 350x350x300, the F5R version of 3D printers.

Difference being, Voron itself doesn't sell kits, they give you the build instructions. Kits can come from a handful of other vendors.
    Rob Windsor

Post Thanks / Like
    Elegoo Neptune 3 max 16.5 inches X 16.5 inches X 19.5 inches. This printer is under 500 dollars.

Mick

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jonathan, making a shallow or customized glove box is relatively easy to do. You will need; your chosen design, ABS plastic, ABS Cold Weld Glue and a Heat Gun, preferably. You can use a propane torch, but a heat gun is the better option since the ABS can catch fire easily. So, create a mold of some kind using wood or metal or whatever "scraps" you have in order to bend and form the heated ABS.

You can source your ABS & Glue from McMaster's:
    https://www.mcmaster.com/
    or
    Get the Cold Weld Glue here:
    https://www.affordablestreetrods.com...65980-vue.html

I am currently building a custom (AC-Air Conditioning and Defroster Manifold) setup which is much more complex than the glove box, but I too will be altering my glovebox as well. I hope this helps you make what you need for your setup. If you have any other questions, just ping me. All the best in your success!

Doug
    Last edited by ydousurf; 06-19-2023 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Typo/Grammar
    Dj or Doug or TheLateDude
    ----- #19 of 25th Anniversary MKIV 9769 -----
    Build Link: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Slow-Progress
    Ordered: Oct 07, 2019 / Production: Dec 28th, 2019 / Shipped: Jan 19th, 2019 First Start: In the future... / Graduation: Even further in the future...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

Reviving this old thread to see if anybody has printed their own glovebox, with Alex's Custom Roadsters apparently out of business? Like Windsor I have a 350x350mm enclosed Voron printer, so it would easily fit on the print bed and could be printed out of heat resistant material.

Sadly my CAD skills still suck, does anybody happen to have a model or drawing they can share?

Cheers,
    Lukas

Post Thanks / Like
    While the use of CAD and a 3D printer to make a shallow glove box would be cool, a simpler way would be to fashion a buck from wood or foam and use fiberglass cloth and resin to make the shell. Not high tech, but everything needs is cheap and available locally.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just cut the back off, trimmed it down to fit, and put it back together with black rivets. Wasn't too hard to do, and fits with the heater in place.
    Mark IV Gen 3 Coyote
    Started 7/22.