BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ciao from Route 66 in Cucamonga - Type 65 Kit Ordered

Post Thanks / Like

Ciao from Route 66 in Cucamonga - Type 65 Kit Ordered

Dittos, like many others, after years of consideration and consternation, pulled the trigger! Yikes! Type 65 Complete Kit, Blueprint 306 EFI.

I am so impressed with the positivity in this community. So many other forums have one-ups-manship etc. Its a competitive world, but we can still support each other. Kudos to the folks at FFR, David Hodgkins, and to you all.

I'm excited to begin. And will work on having thick enough skin for what I will need to hear through this process.

( If:
    ( 1=never turned a wrench
    ( 5=aftermarket tinkerer
    ( 7=happiest with at least some permanent grime on hands
    ( 10=200 hour club
    ( I'm a solid 5 (others might say a solid 3). I've got some work to do. Finding patience will be my achilles heel.

Being a first build, thinking I will go pretty stock (I might get to 20% Edwardb some day, but aiming for even 1%ish at first). I'll need to keep it simple.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations and good luck!

I'm hoping to order my Coupe in a few months (wife says I have to pay off our boat first )

I'd also be a 4-5 on your scale. I've learned from this forum that a rather "stock" build can be done pretty much no matter your skill level. It's the customizations, engine building, body/paint that are iffy. But this creates a great opportunity to learn and move up your scale!

- Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim,

Thank you! Yes, definitely an undertaking and looking forward to it and to building the skills necessary. Good luck to you as well!

Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    Aaron, Jim, I was an iffy 3 when I ordered my coupe. Had changed brakes and mufflers but that was it!! I do consider myself mechanically inclined and not afraid to do a little research to learn something I don't know. The build threads in the forum are a great resource. Not just the coupe but all of the different kits. Learn form others mistakes! Most threads will talk about the issues they had and how they were able to fix them. One issue with multiple ways of fixing! By starting your own build thread, when you run into an issue you can post it and you will get multiple reply's. If you have the resources, don't limit yourself to a "stock" build. Investigate the multiple upgrades that others have done. If your going to take on learning how to build a whole car then learning how to do an upgrade is no different. Don't be the guy that completes the build only to be unhappy because you didn't upgrade to power steering, or air conditioning or bigger wheels. Paul's (EdwardB) build is a great resource for a coupe build as are multiple others. IMO any first time builder in the less than 5 range needs to take their time, think ahead, mockup/pre-fit everything, do your research and don't take shortcuts. Enjoy the build.

Scott
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

It is great to hear from others and their experiences through this process, the words of encouragement are appreciated! And good point about the upgrades, and as I follow the build threads I am getting all sorts of great ideas... One minor complaint... I now have another build thread to follow, thanks a lot! Not enough hours in the day!

Thanks!
    Aaron

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Aaron,

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to following your build. I was about the same as you when I started. Don't sweat the lack of knowledge, that's what the community is for!

If you have a problem with patience, this will definitely be a learning experience for you! My attitude with my builds is, enjoy the process and don't be in a hurry to finish! I had to get over the " dang it I just wanna drive!" feelings too but once I relaxed and broke the build down into a bunch of sub-assemblies (suspension, plumbing (brake and clutch) footboxes, cockpit aluminum, wiring(!) etc and let go of the need to be finished I learned to love the tinkering aspect of the build and sooner or later I had a roller, then go cart, then a real, working car I built my self! Well ok, not really "myself". I had 3 build parties and made a ton of new friends who helped me get over the challenges I had with my first build. We are here for you! Ask all the questions you want; no question is "too dumb to ask!"

I'm super proud of the end product! Who wouldn't be?

Welcome aboard, you're gonna love the ride!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

Thank you! I did a pros and cons before finally proceeding... building skills, friendships, continuing to challenge oneself, post-work activity better than TV... it seemed that building the car would be secondary to the benefits that come along with it. My garage is filling up with helpers months before the kit arrives! And, the clear commitment on this forum of builders helping builders gave me the confidence that I could make it happen.

And, yes, that is a car to be very proud of! Can't wait to join you!

Thanks for the words of encouragement,

Aaron