Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Color decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Color decision.

Hi all,

Decision, decision, decision.....
    Hmmmm...Trying figure out what color for my future ride.
    Does someone knows what is the name of the color for the Daytona in the attached pic here?
    Might be the one for me.

DE2AE4EF-AE35-434B-AA8C-6B8D9E04232A.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks a whole lot like Guardsman Blue. I haven't done a Coupe in that color but have done several roadsters in the classic Guardsman blue and Wimbledon White combination...here's one:

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Likes KayzDad liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guardsman Blue: Ford #1622-A; OEM code F, D-F (PPG 12832)

Wimbledon White: Ford #1619-A; OEM code 9A, M32J1619, M1619A (PPG 8378)

MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Bonjour..
    Choosing a color is a big decision, because your going to have to live with whatever your choice is, or spend some serious coin to change it.

I found pictures on the internet can be very deceptive. Lighting conditions, clouds in the sky, the camera, lens used, backgrounds, etc., can all influence what the color looks like.
    Blue especially, seem to have considerable variants from one car to the next, even when they are supposedly all the same color. The conditions at the shop under which the car is painted can be a factor, humidity, temperature, thickness of clear coat, etc. Even the paint manufacture, and their particular paint formula, all play a roll.

My advice...Pick out one forum members car, that you really, really, like the color of. Go to that members photo gallery, or search for more posts with pictures of his car. (Check the FFCars group too) Try messaging him, and politely asking to have him send you pictures of it. If he knows, ask what paint was used, IE Dupont, Sikkens, etc,

In choosing my cars final color, (once I had narrowed it down), involved looking at as many pictures of the exact same car as I could find. Background, and foregrounds varied, as foregrounds can be reflected on to a car, and influence color shades. I saw pictures of it taken weeks, months, and even years apart, so I got to see it under several different lighting conditions. Also the camera angles varied, so shade, and the influence of the camera, lens, etc, was less of a factor.
    This really helped, vs looking at multiple cars, from all around the world, all supposedly the same color, even when they don't look the same color..

Good luck!
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    My painter sent me to the paint store to buy paint (without adult supervision). We had planned on a bright red metallic that stood out. Started looking trough the color catalogs focusing on reds and somehow opened the page to this striking metallic blue. You guessed it, came back to my buddy the painter with blue. We all had a good laugh and I now have a blue car, not the red hot rod we had all envisioned.

Forget planning as if you spend a couple hours at the paint store looking at paint chips you never can tell what color you may end up with.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks like princess blue.
    “Privateer”
    289 USRRC Chassis #9188 p/u 9/11/2017 Go kart 3/18/2018, road legal 6/16/2018
    Ford full roller 306 built by my son and me Holley Sniper EFI
    TKO600 2015 IRS 3:55. 17” FFR Hallibrand replicas, Power steering
    FFR Vintage instruments, Wipers and Heat/defrost
    Lots of parts and advice from Mike Forte & Mark Reynolds (Breeze Automotive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks a lot like Pontiac's Lucerne blue to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
    Looks like princess blue.
    Princess or Viking blue is lighter than the picture above.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-code-question
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I completely agree, camera lenses distort color. If we narrow it down to Guardsman blue, Viking blue, or Princess Blue as many have suggested. Go to the paint store and find those colors. Narrowing down the million colors might help. If you’re like me and don’t want to go into the store right now (I’ve opted to stay out of indoor spaces at the moment) have them bring you the books and meet you outside, you’ll want to see them in the sun.

When I was taking pictures of my roll bar wrapped in leather it kept turning out much lighter than it is in real life and it was making me crazy until I decided to color correct one of the photos but that does get it exact it gets it close and everything else around it turned out really dark.

Also I picked an unusual color for my car that came from nail polish and rather than posting the spray out I posted the manufacturers photo of someone’s hand with the nail polish on because it was the most accurate of the actual color.
    Last edited by P100DHG; 02-16-2021 at 10:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Princess and Viking blue I believe are the same colours. The former is the name from over the pond and not “manly” enough supposedly so was changed to Viking in the US. The pic of the coupe in this thread is a much darker blue. I know there is a coupe at FF in light blue which may be the Sherwood Williams colour of Vintage Race Blue or could be Viking. All I know is that it’s the best liking coupe I have seen.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Up to now in this discussion I am leaning toward Viking blue but still interested in receiving all your comments and suggestions.
    Keep’em coming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda partial to Viking blue myself....

FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

14. Likes Bluemont liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brittany blue is another shade of blue worth looking at. This Shelby Continuation Cobra was done that color.

FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

17. Likes cnutting liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Supposedly this Daytona is also in Brittany Blue..

19. Likes cnutting liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rebooting this thread....does anyone know the color code of this FFR Type 65 demo #001?

FFR_1007.jpg

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rt.collinsjr View Post
    Rebooting this thread....does anyone know the color code of this FFR Type 65 demo #001?

FFR_1007.jpg

Thanks
    That and I LOVE those wheels
    FFR #4402 MKII Supercharged 308 445 RWHP Sterling Grey W/ Black Sapphire Stripes, Purchase 8/22/2008 Sold 12/04/2018
    FFR #8249 MK IV "Milano" Kit purchased 10/5/2018 - In-Process with 3.27 IRS, Multiport, Fuel Injected Supercharged 347 Big bore with Coil On Plug running Holley HP engine management, 576 RWHP, 510 Torque
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?29980 Milano thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post

My advice...Pick out one forum members car, that you really, really, like the color of. Go to that members photo gallery, or search for more posts with pictures of his car. (Check the FFCars group too) Try messaging him, and politely asking to have him send you pictures of it. If he knows, ask what paint was used, IE Dupont, Sikkens, etc,

To add to this excellent advice, see the work the painter has done previously. I've seen two cars done by two different painters who (supposedly) used the same paint but the result was different shades. In real life, so not the issue of pictures.
    Complete novice who doesn't know what he's doing.
    MKIV with BPE 347 & TKX. IRS. A crap ton of mods.
    Build thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zee View Post
    To add to this excellent advice, see the work the painter has done previously. I've seen two cars done by two different painters who (supposedly) used the same paint but the result was different shades. In real life, so not the issue of pictures.
    Zee,
    There's more to it...

Many of today's color formulas are quite transparent. The manufacturer specifies specific undercoat shades that are required to achieve color accuracy and coverage. The PPG products that I use have a gray scale for the undercoat that ranges from 1 (virtually white) to 7 (virtually black). The same color applied over different undercoats can appear significantly different. Here's an example showing some spray outs of Mercedes 977 that I did for a customer; the top is over G1, the middle over G3 and the bottom over G7. These were all sprayed at the same time, using the same gun, with paint from the same batch.

Look like different colors don't they? As a finished product they are, but yet they were all done with the same paint. In your scenario the painters may indeed have used the same paint however one may have applied it over the manufacturer's recommended undercoat shade and the other may have not.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

24. Likes Lidodrip, Skuzzy, zee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good advise all....

FFR got back to me on this, the color is Lexus Indigo Ink, code 8P4.
    The picture is accurate in color as I looked at this car at their shop last spring...

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with a Brittany Blue, Ford Paint code Q, 1624. This first came out on the '64 Thunderbird, and later on the '67 Mustang. There are actually 4 different Ford Brittany Blues, the first dating back to the 30's if I recall. It was more of a forest green than a blue ... The latest Brittany blue on Mustang Cobras is very different. There was a subtle shift in hue in '67-70

Digging in to this 18 months ago, I came to the conclusion that Brittany Blue and Viking Blue are one and the same. That said, the single stage paint of the 60's is not the paint of today, so the appearance is very different, and today's paint ages better.

Note the Britons were Viking stock ... :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Love Viking Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LateApex View Post
    ...Digging in to this 18 months ago, I came to the conclusion that Brittany Blue and Viking Blue are one and the same...
    Actually no. Viking is PPG 12494 and Brittany is PPG 12843. Viking is a bit more silver than Brittany.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, I understand that Viking blue (North America) and Princess blue (U.K.) are supposedly the same.
    just my 2 cents...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
    FWIW, I understand that Viking blue (North America) and Princess blue (U.K.) are supposedly the same.
    just my 2 cents...
    I've heard that as well.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
    just my 2 cents...
    That is what I have heard and read as well. The story is supposedly “Princess” was not manly enough, not sure for whom and whether it was Shelby himself or someone else. Thus “Viking” was born.
    Kyle