Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: Joel's Sudbury Mk4 Build

Post Thanks / Like

Joel's Sudbury Mk4 Build

Hello from Sudbury, Mass. I'm about to start my first Mk4 build and thought I'd start a thead like others before me. Other than some routine car maintenance and repair, this will be my first attempt at building a car. I'm a scientist by profession and woodworker/DIYer by hobby. Like every other skill I've picked up during my half-century, I'll think the best way to way to learn is by doing (and making mistakes along the way). I've been lurking on this site for some time, and now I'm ready to start building. Thanks for all the shared experiences and guidance so far.

My build plan so far:
    FFR components:
    >FFR Mk4 complete kit (Dec 2023 pickup at the factory - bought a used 18 ft enclosed trailer for this).
    >Powder coated frame
    >IRS suspension
    >Manual steering (thinking about the DCE Microsteer if anyone has tried that - pls LMK).
    >Manual clutch
    >17 in replica Halibrands
    >Wilwood's all around
    >Leather seats
    >Dash with glovebox
    >GPS Gauges
    >2 rollbars

Engine/Transmission
    >Forte sourced 427W World Products Block, Edelbrock Headers & ProFlow EFI, TKX

Other options
    >Breeze battery box, radiator mounts, fan shroud, lower rad pipe
    >Wilwood Electronic Parking brake
    >Leather hide for door cards, dash, console.
    >FFMetal firewall and tunnel cover
    >Heated Seats
    >Moroso 2 qt coolant tank
    >Russ Thompson-spec turn signal, gas pedal and drop truck from TJ @Mountain Metalworks

Body work will be sourced. I hate doing drywall, and the bodywork seems to be along the same lines, so I'll source the dusty sandy mess. I have an HVLP turbine that I used for wood finishing, but I don't use it enough to trust myself painting a car - seems like I end up sanding sags and drips off every project on the first coat before I remember the technique.

I have my crusher car and will send it off to the junk yard when I get closer to completion of the Mk4.

-Joel
    ----------------
    Ordered Aug 2023; Delivery Dec 2023.
    MK IV Complete Kit w/ IRS, Forte SBF 427W w/Edelbrock ProFlo 4, TKX, Wilwood 12.88, Willwood EPB.
    Power steering, manual clutch

Post Thanks / Like
    Great project and nice specifications. I switched mine from manual to power steering (EPAS) after a couple of years. I appreciate the car and how much better it drives with power steering, every time I get in it.

Cheers,

Nige
    Mk.4 FFR supplied Right hand drive
    Received 12/2012 completed 12/2019
    Gen1 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS
    Lots of mods to make compliant for Australian design rules

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome from Plymouth Mass. I know a lot of the local FFR people if you need anything or have questions just ask.

Dave. 781-953-0358.
    MK4 Complete kit FFR9939. Gen 1 Coyote, Tremec 3650, IRS 3.31 ratio, Breeze radiator stuff, Breeze cubby and battery mount, North Race Cars heat and A/C, RT drop trunk kit, Replica Parts radiator aluminum and brake booster spacer, FFR soft top.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard, Joel, from the other side of the country! I've always envied those who lived close enough to pick up their kits in-person. That will be fun day! Should be an exciting Christmas at your house!
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dave. Great to have some builders close by!

Quote Originally Posted by DW66 View Post
    Welcome from Plymouth Mass. I know a lot of the local FFR people if you need anything or have questions just ask.

Dave. 781-953-0358.
    ----------------
    MK IV Complete Kit w/ IRS, Forte SBF 427W w/Edelbrock ProFlo 4, TKX, Wilwood 12.88, Willwood EPB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to hear from you. With Mike Forte 4 miles away, and Mark Breeze 8 or so, and FFR <1 hr drive, I figured I had to give it a go. I hope to move back your way when the kids are out of school - I'm originally from Seattle area and my father's family is in Lewiston, ID.

Quote Originally Posted by 460.465USMC View Post
    Welcome aboard, Joel, from the other side of the country! I've always envied those who lived close enough to pick up their kits in-person. That will be fun day! Should be an exciting Christmas at your house!
    ----------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting Ready: Making Room, Body Buck, Frame Dolly
    It took several weekends, but I was able to rearrange my wood shop into half woodshop / half auto shop. I have essentially a full garage bay for the build and some table space for parts, sub-assemblies, etc. I used the plans on the forum for both the dolly and the body buck. Once I get the car in the shop, I plan on storing the body on the buck in my enclosed trailer outside.

Body Buck: I used the CAD profiles from Jazzman.
    Frame Dolly: Plans from 'Chrisarella' on the other forum.

Next step: figure out how to get images appear vertically (tried saving as separate jpg, but...?).

body_buck_vert.jpgclean_shop.jpgframe_dolly_vert.jpg
    Last edited by jklapp; 12-19-2023 at 03:55 PM.
    ----------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Looking forward to the build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! With what you picked out, this is going to be an awesome build!

Have you looked at this electric power steering kit for FFR Mk3/4 cars? https://epowersteering.com/purchase/...-roadster-kit/

Just my 2¢, I would look into upgrading to a hydraulic clutch. While the clutch cable works okay, there definitely room for improvement. I recently drove a roadster that had a hydraulic clutch (mine is cable) and was very impressed with how light and smooth the clutch pedal was.

Regards,
    Ranger

Post Thanks / Like
    Delivery Day at FFR

Christmas came a few days early today!!! My son and drove down to Wareham to pickup my Mk4 kit from the factory. Everything fit easily in my 8.5 x 18 trailer. Took several attempts to get the trailer backed through my fence gate (9 in to spare on both sides), but it's loaded into my shop. Not a lot of extra room to spare. I'll take a break today and unload the rest of the boxes and put the body on the buck and store it in the trailer. The FFR guys have loading down to a science. The body went in 10 min and the rest of the boxes in 15 min or so. The only really heavy item was the pumpkin. Can't wait to get started, but first to finish up the work week and be Santa's elf for a few days.

forklift_load.jpgtrailer_load_3.jpgtrailer_load_jk.jpgload_into_shop.jpgin_shop_cro.jpg
    Last edited by jklapp; 12-19-2023 at 03:57 PM.
    ----------------

11. Likes Mike.Bray, zarnold liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! That's an awfully heavy engine to not have power steering. Not much more $$ in the grand scheme of things, and way easier to do now than later. Regardless, congrats, and enjoy your build!
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Inventory Complete
    Got the Christmas decorations down yesterday and completed the inventory this morning.
    Only two minor issues: 2 missings pieces from the sway bar kit, and an extra set of standard issue front brakes.
    Still waiting on: side louvers, wiring harness, front Wilwoods, and something called a "16616 powdered lower handle"
    Overall not too bad.

I spend a good deal of time reading about power steering and decided to swap my manual rack for the power rack. Having driven manual racks before I was not worried about the muscle needed, but the arguments on overall performance were compelling. I'll drive down to Wareham to swap racks and return the extra brakes. Now I need to call Mike and add a steering pump to my build.

Santa brought a Dewalt 20V riveter, so once I use it a bit, I'll post a review. (Reviews elsewhere online were few and mixed.) I have a Dewalt everything and didn't want to buy the Milwaukee one that folks here seem to like a lot. We'll see how it goes...

I have to say that the dash with the glovebox seems really flimsy and cheap...was thinking it would be sheet metal.
    ----------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Something you might do now to make searching for parts much, much easier. If you can scan in your 45-47 page inventory list to a PDF, then OCR it with something like Adobe Acrobat, you'll be able to search for things much easier. I got tired of flipping through inventory sheets to find which box a part would be in, then had the idea to OCR the sheets. It's so much quicker to search for, say, 'clip' or 'brake' when looking for some small part.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes

15. Likes Lidodrip liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I searched a bit to see if anyone had created a spreadsheet, but was unable to track one down...maybe I'll give it a try and post the results if successful.

Quote Originally Posted by gbranham View Post
    Something you might do now to make searching for parts much, much easier. If you can scan in your 45-47 page inventory list to a PDF, then OCR it with something like Adobe Acrobat, you'll be able to search for things much easier. I got tired of flipping through inventory sheets to find which box a part would be in, then had the idea to OCR the sheets. It's so much quicker to search for, say, 'clip' or 'brake' when looking for some small part.
    ----------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Biggest issue I have is seeming to always need 1 item out of box xx for a fit up or interference check. I have a clear plastic tote that I thorough all the early parts i pull into, still early in my build, but I also believe at least 1 part was discarded inadvertently while wrapped in paper, watch out for the small parts!
    MK IV Delivered June 27, 2023 Build Thread-https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?46069-Lance-s-Roadster-Build-Thread-Starting-the-Al-panel-slog

"Build a Car" They Said "It Will Be Fun "

Post Thanks / Like
    First Piece Attached!

Well, I spent way too long fussing with the alignment of the F-panel before drilling, but I'm now off and running on assembly. Putting the F-panels on was a good start to appreciating the lack of symmetry with the frame. I also had to nibble away a few spots with my dremel to get the panels to align due to protruding welds. I could not get the top of both the upper and lower parts of the "F" to align with both top and bottom frame pieces, so just settled with making sure the top aluminum did not protrude above the top bar. Top bar is curved, panel is straight. Front frame angle on top of F does not match the panel angle...etc. Found a post from "cv2065's build that was reassuming - he had the exact same alignment issues as I did. In cv2065's string, someone mentioned making sure to drill holes where you can get the rivet gun in there, which was a very good tip. Put my son to work on the firewire before calling it a day.

Also stopped by Forte's before the weekend to add a power steering pump to my build and got a look at my engine (last photo). Close to dyno testing!

driver_Fpanel.jpg firewall_fitting.jpg engine_at_Forte.jpg
    ----------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Inventory Spreadsheet
    I scanned all of the inventory sheets to create a spreadsheet you can sort, search, and use for tracking missing items. It is in CSV format, so it should work in any spreadsheet software. I did my best to correct any errors from scanning, but I provide no guarantees on accuracy. The sheet is for my personal kit, so some items may be missing or not in your order. The sheets cover a complete kit with options I went with. I'd be happy to keep a current version if people want to edit it to add items so eventually we have a full list of all options. If you want to scan your own sheets, this was a PITA. I scanned them in as PDFs, used Adobe Illustrator to mask off everything but the text, combined all the pages in Acrobat, then exported as Excel. Then I had to fix all the issues from scanning and OCR interpretation. As soon as I figure out how to upload the file I'll edit this post with a link. PM me in the meantime.
    ----------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Aluminum Panels
    Since the holidays, I've had little time work on the car. Finally got a few weekends and I've been working on getting all (most) of the aluminum panels fitted so I can send off for powder coating. I got the drop trunk kit from TJ @Mountain Metalworks and that install went OK - went very slow on cutting with a carbide-coated jig saw blade. The most challenging fit was the back cockpit panel. I had to cut off the two tabs that are supposed to be riveted to the floor pans - they were preventing alignment of the seam across the back of the cockpit. I made up some patches with leftover metal from the drop trunk cutout. I also had to trim the top right of the back panel on the drivers side to get things to fit. I will move on to the drivers footbox next. I'm curious if others also fit and drilled the splash guards before powder coating?

I've drilled holes now on the "wrong side" of my line a few times now...debating whether I just cover these with carpet, etc. or fill them with tig welds. I haven't tig welded in a long time, and would need to buy a tig welder (a good thing), but I'm a little wary of constantly burning through thin aluminum...

IMG_9698.jpgIMG_9722.jpgIMG_9704.jpgpatch.jpg
    ----------------

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd put a dab of silicone on the holes you whiffed on, and be done with it. After sound and heat mat, and then carpet, you'll never see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Driver's Footbox and Rear Cubbie
    Well the inside drivers footbox was a bear to fit. I suspect the main issue was some incorrect bends that form the interface between the upper and lower piece. And, the lower piece was not bent correctly to attach the trans tunnel. I ended up trimming and using my belt sander on the bottom piece to fit over the 4" main tube and then bent the flange on the inside to a sharper angle to meet the trans tunnel. The drivers footbox and rear cockpit wall seem to be common issues many others have faced. I moved onto the Breeze cubby, going with the 17.5" x 5" size recommended in the instructions. I picked up a HF 5" hole saw that was about half the price of the Milwaukee ones at HD, and used my jigsaw to do the rest of the cut. Looks great!
    drivers_footbox.jpgcubbie_opening.jpgcubbie.jpg
    I'm carefully going to the directions now to see what I'm forgetting to do with the aluminum panels before I go to powder coating. On my list includes the notch in the cubbie wall for the gas struts... Looks like the elephant ears will have to wait until they are fitting on the car, or I can drill holes down without fitting before sending to powder. As much as I want to do the powder coating in one job, I'm sure I'll forget something and need two trips.

After much procrastination, I cut off the ebrake mount since I'm going with the Wilwood electric parking brake, and mounted a patch.
    ebrake_patch.jpg
    Mike Forte was getting close to dyno on my engine and trans, so I'll have to stop by sometime soon to check on progress.
    ----------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like similar areas that I had issues. Good progress!
    MK IV Delivered June 27, 2023 Build Thread-https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?46069-Lance-s-Roadster-Build-Thread-Starting-the-Al-panel-slog

Post Thanks / Like
    Joel,
    I made my cubby wall removable for ease of bolting in the roll bar and seat belts and or fixing cubby lighting if need be in the future. I can easily pull the cubby wall out of the trunk by removing a few screws.

Dave

Cubby wall.jpgCubby wall 2.jpg
    MK4 Complete kit FFR9939. Gen 1 Coyote, Tremec 3650, IRS 3.31 ratio, Breeze radiator stuff, Breeze cubby and battery mount, North Race Cars heat and A/C, RT drop trunk kit, Replica Parts radiator aluminum and brake booster spacer, FFR soft top.

25. Thanks jklapp thanked for this post
    Likes Mike.Bray, jklapp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine ready for pickup!
    Got the call from Mike Forte last week and stopped by on Friday to pay off the balance and see my engine and transmission. I'll pick it up this week. All I can say is WOW! Now I really need to get moving on the build. It's a 427W World Products block, and Edelbrock headers and ProFlow FI. Transmission is TKX with mid-shift.

My main concern at this point is whether my HF 2-ton hoist will be tall enough to lift out of my truck bed...need to do some measuring!

IMG_9792.jpg
    ----------------

27. Likes zarnold liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Joel! I wanted to say good luck with the build. I have a MkIV that graduated in the late Fall last year. I share a similar background and skillset as you (Academic neuroscientist, hobby woodworker, did 1 rolling resto a few years ago). I also did a Forte 427w/ PS and PF4 EFI. Very reliable so far in a range of weather. And totally turnkey. Didn't have to do much of anything to make it purr. THe build was so rewarding, and driving/owning the car is fantastic. Enjoy the process, even the annoying frustrating parts. It is worth it! PXL_20231023_204315648.jpg
    Last edited by Alec; 02-19-2024 at 11:18 AM.
    <><><><><><><><><><>
    Mk4 Roadster complete kit Chassis F5R1010480RD
    Ordered Dec 2021, Delivered Sept 2022, First start Mar 2023
    Completed October 2023
    IRS, Wilwood, 17" wheels, Forte 427W/TKX/EdelbrockEFI

29. Likes jklapp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A work of art!! Mike does great work!!

31. Likes jklapp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You and I are on the same timing from Forte! Just got the call yesterday that mine is ready. We’ve got a very similar spec to the point at which I could only tell the difference by the hose colors. By the way, looks like your dyno video is up in case you hadn’t seen it yet (below). Good luck with the rest of your build.

https://youtu.be/3YJUSPkDNok?si=CNHltkreI8t2QhzR
    Atlanta GA FFR MKIV roadster. Delivered in June 2023. Build thread here

33. Likes jklapp liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Off to Powder Coat
    I finally got all the aluminum and other metal parts sanded down and deburred for power coat. What a job! The PC shop is about 3-4 weeks out so it will be mid-Apr before everything is back. I'm blacking out everything with a satin black PC

PC_pg1.jpgPC_pg2.jpgPC_pg5.jpgPC_pg7.jpgPC_pg6.jpgPC_pg4.jpgPC_pg3.jpg
    ----------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Patching Holes from Sheet Metal Screws
    I just couldn't leave it alone. I think (hope!) I finally figured out an easy way to patch the aluminum holes created by the sheet metal screws from the factory when they tack on the panels for shipping. I tried to TIG welding, but I was out of my league with trying to TIG the 18 ga aluminum panels - lots of practice pieces and I burned through more holes than I patched (n=1). I then discovered aluminum brazing sticks that you just melt with a propane torch. The melt temp of the sticks is greater than the power coating oven, so I hope this works and doesn't make a mess during the PC process. I've attached a few pictures of the process. I'll follow-up if it works.

alum_hole.jpgalum_braze.jpgalum_braze_sanded.jpgbraze_sticks.jpg
    ----------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Great Idea, I have a few "Oh Crap" holes...