Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: New member

Post Thanks / Like

I just got on the forums and with the help of members I have already read on the forums I can’t wait to start on mk4 coming next week.
    I am a licensed electrician, power plant worker, and numerous other vocations. Retired and have restored or rebuilt numerous cars and motorcycles, I decided after turning 70 this is something I really wanted to do, so here I go on my mk4.

2. Likes Ted G, CaptB, FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Bob24! You are going to have a blast building the car, and you can also gain a lot of new friends along the way. With all of your experience you are well equipped to handle this project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. Step one getting it unloaded next week with a forecast of 22 degrees

Post Thanks / Like
    I built my Coupe during the year I turned 69 and drove it all last summer as I turned 70! Made me feel like a teen again!!! Welcome to the family!
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! It is a fun journey to build a car. This forum will be a great help during you build.
    Mk4 Roadster with BluePrint 347 with Holley EFI and solid axle rear end.
    Build thread
    Body work and paint thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! You’re going to love it!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and enjoy!! This forum was a huge help for me and looking forward to your build. Let us know your chassis number once you get it.

Ted #10333

Post Thanks / Like
    G'day Bob,

Fellow sparky here, with power generation background. If I can do it, you can too!
    Welcome aboard.

PXL_20231223_100129455.jpg

Cheers,

Nigel

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    70 Is The New 60!
    Welcome Aboard!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got my mk4 unloaded, Eric was great, it was 11 degrees and then started snowing and had 1 inch of snow on the hill to the house. We made it just fine and boxes, truck and car on trailer are in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Type 65 is due in a few weeks. I'm also in my 70s. It's good to know I'm in good company.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_3501.jpg
    its in the garage

14. Likes MVRight liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    After reading and watching videos on removing body, I still had concerns about the flex, pulling out the sides etc. I knew I had to remove it so I put about a 4 ft 1x4 between the body and frame running from the floor to about the door hinge on each side in the door area and a brace from front to back on top center of body over cockpit area. My son and I picked it up went forward a little and took it off in about five minutes. Everyone was correct when they said the body is strong enough to not worry, just take it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob24 View Post
    After reading and watching videos on removing body, I still had concerns about the flex, pulling out the sides etc. I knew I had to remove it so I put about a 4 ft 1x4 between the body and frame running from the floor to about the door hinge on each side in the door area and a brace from front to back on top center of body over cockpit area. My son and I picked it up went forward a little and took it off in about five minutes. Everyone was correct when they said the body is strong enough to not worry, just take it off.
    I have seen others use sections of PVC pipe also to hold the body sides away from the chassis to remove or install the body.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    i have done this much so far
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Bob!

Congratulations on the new build and the fast start!

There are a few threads in this Welcome and Introductions forum that will help you with picture embedding and maintaining a build thread title.

Speaking of which, this thread is starting to morph into a build thread! Let me know if you want me to move it to the roadster build threads forum.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    please do

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_3526.jpgIMG_3527.jpg
    have gotten this far

Post Thanks / Like
    The Ron Francis wiring diagram shows adding a diode to the charging circuit on my 5.0 alternator to make it charge, does anyone have a picture or diagram of where to add this diode. I do not want to use the alternator light just the volt meter. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Installing engine today, got hood ready yesterday to cut out for scoop, have body drilled for all the lights. Have body marked for center from front to back. Tested dash wiring and the gauges. This is too much fun

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine is closer to startup. got tags and title today

25. Likes Ted G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob24 View Post
    Engine is closer to startup. got tags and title today
    Wait a minute.... Didn't you just get this in January? Title and tags? How?????

Post Thanks / Like
    that's an aggressive build timeline!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have wiring problems, check that the plugs to the different harnesses match in their respective color coding when you plug them in. My front harness plug was reversed on the male side. And reset the inertia switch, then unplug it while working on other things so the fuel pump doesn’t run. Also while tuning you can plug the clutch switch in to the other terminals and start the car without holding in the clutch each time, set the parking brake.