Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sube or Kirkey ?

Post Thanks / Like

Sube or Kirkey ?

I am looking for opinions on seat choices. I have narrowed it down to the Sube Classic or the Kirkey both being the low back version. I have sat in a Kirkey and like the feel of them. The wife is afraid that there is not enough padding to be comfortable on longer trips. I realize that I could add more padding if need be. Another consideration is the fact that we are not teenagers anymore so exiting the car from a Kirkey might be a bit difficult. I have not sat in a Sube but I do like the looks and they do look quite comfy. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep the Kilkey really hugs you on the sides. If you don't have a top it is easier. You just stand on the seat and slide down. A little harder getting out but doable. The huge advantage of the aluminum seat is that the cover is attached w/ snaps so it is very easy to adjust the foam to your liking. I had a similar seat in an Ultrashield but I had a top. So I modified the outer bottom side by cutting it down some and welding on a flat 2" wide piece. Made it easier to get in and out of.
    Ultrashield.jpg
    The longest I had driven was 3 hours but if I were building another FFR I would use the same seat.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    we have the high back Kirky seats in the Coupe and I added a gel seat cushion, without it you really feel the aluminum frame after a few hours. We stop every 2 to 3 hours. The seats are comfortable but you can't move much once you are in them.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Williamson View Post
    we have the high back Kirky seats in the Coupe and I added a gel seat cushion, without it you really feel the aluminum frame after a few hours. We stop every 2 to 3 hours. The seats are comfortable but you can't move much once you are in them.
    David W
    As they should be.
    Mrk III, 331 stroker, Borla stack injection, T5, 3:55 IRS, Power steering and brakes. Kleiner body & paint

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're considering the Kirkey's be aware that they require a support bracket at the top, effectively making it so that the seat position cannot be adjustable. If you're looking for that style of seat, consider the Ultrashield Cobra bucket. It's a similar style but a stiffer seat so no upper support is needed. I had mine reupholstered and custom padding added (+ seat heater) so it's all-day comfortable. Details in my build thread here.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to your build thread, very nice! How did you mount the Ultrashield seats?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. I mounted them using the Breeze angled seat bases. The flat base of the Ultrashield seats is just barely wide enough to accommodate the seat mounting hole pattern on the Breeze bases. I also added a strip of 1/8" steel bar stock to reinforce the sub strap attachment.

MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.

Post Thanks / Like
    rikyracer, I was looking at both those seat options and then some other builders have chosen the path of Intatrim out of the U.K.. Now, these seats are not cheap by any means, but you can customize them to your preference. What gave me a look was to have a seat that is a little more accessible for a bigger person and not so confined for longer trips. Anyway, they have many options and take a look at the (Stoneliegh) model specifically. Just giving you another option to consider…

Doug
    Dj or Doug or TheLateDude
    ----- #19 of 25th Anniversary MKIV 9769 -----
    Build Link: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Slow-Progress
    Ordered: Oct 07, 2019 / Production: Dec 28th, 2019 / Shipped: Jan 19th, 2019 First Start: In the future... / Graduation: Even further in the future...

Post Thanks / Like
    John, you can get adjustable seat brackets for aluminum racing seats such as the one in the link:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...sp?RecID=33516

I used this exact one in my road race Mustang and it worked well.

Post Thanks / Like
    My issue was the Kirkey are really tight on the hips. I found the Sube to be more of a seat I could get in and out of. This really depends on what you want. A race seat is going to lock you in. If you are going to drive the car that way or prefer the safety it provides than that's your seat. I went with a sport seat. A lot of the same protection and function but not as much and allows you more movement and easier to get in and out of. I went with the Monaco Cobra seats.

*Edit* after a closer look at this thread I realized you were talking about the low back. My experience is entirely high back.
    Last edited by Blitzboy54; 04-04-2024 at 11:12 AM.
    MK4 #10008 - Ordered 10/06/20, Delivered 03/03/21, First Start 7/22/21, First Go Kart 7/24/21
    Paint by Metal Morphous 5/14/22, Legally registered 6/8/22, Graduated 7/20/22
    Build Thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...been-delivered
    Complete Kit, Ford 306, Sniper/Dual Sync, T5, Hydraulic clutch