BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Stupid Question...... Body Buck

Post Thanks / Like

Stupid Question...... Body Buck

I was looking at the plans for the body buck and realized that there was no mention about the dimension (thickness 1/4, 1/2, 3/4) of the plywood used. So, after searching the forum and not finding anything I thought i would ask two questions:
    1. What thickness should I use?
    2. does anyone have an "advanced plan" for a buck they would recommend?

Thanks all for being patient with my "stupid question".

Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Craig where are you located?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Just remember, the thicker you make the vertical supports the heavier it gets. And you're probably going to want to hoist it into the air at some point. The vertical end pieces don't need to be very thick as the load is vertical. And use particle board, MDF is too heavy. Don't ask me how I know.

If I was doing it again I probably wouldn't take the time and expense to build a buck, I would just use a couple of 2x4's through the wheel openings. I'm not convinced these fancy and elaborate bucks actually do anything, FFR just stores the bodies on the ground outside.
    My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    7/16 OSB will be fine. I have 2 wooden bucks and a tubular steel one only used for painting. The wooden ones have been cut down and minimized over the years.

Do yourself a favor and put some 8 or 10 inch pneumatic wheels on it, not some cheesy little 3 or 4 inch hard casters. Use swivels in front and fixed in the rear—-it’ll be SOOOOO much easier to move around. You can thank me later

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Thanks craig6990 thanked for this post
    Likes Andrew Davis liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Erie, pa

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto what Jeff says on the casters. I bought 5" hard rubber casters for my chassis buck, and they worked great until I started getting some weight to my build with all the suspension bits. It gets hard to move around. I also had 4 swivel casters; I wish I would've only had two. I saved a few bucks on the casters vs true 8 or 10 inch pneumatic tires; if I had it to do again, I'd definitely spend the extra few bucks on pneumatics.

For my body buck, I also used 7/16" OSB...works just fine.
    Built an early MkIII years ago, sold years ago.
    Got Corvettes out of my system, and now back after 18 years to build a MkIV.
    MkIV Complete Kit Ordered 4/18/23, Delivered 7/11/23, 427 Stroker, Holley Sniper 2, Hyperspark, TKX, IRS, Wilwood Big Brakes
    Here to learn, contribute, and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am starting planning for my build. I am not sure of the weight rating I should look for in a pneumatic wheel for a chassis dolly. Any recommendations?

Thanks, Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    The wheels Jeff is talking about you can get at Harbor Freight. I got mine there a couple years ago for $20 apiece three years ago. might be a bit more now but very easy to move and they have brakes on them as well.
    FFR 9883 MKIV ,427 Windsor engine
    TKX 5 speed, Three Link 3.55 gears
    Power Steering, Leather Seats
    18" Wheels and Tires, Drop Trunk
    Fun Package

10. Thanks AndrewIdaho thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello, I can't figure out how to build a body buck for the MK IV Cobra, I'm willing to pay for a set of plans that I can read and understand, any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 429 SCJ COBRA View Post
    Hello, I can't figure out how to build a body buck for the MK IV Cobra, I'm willing to pay for a set of plans that I can read and understand, any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Mike
    Oldie but a Goodie. Should have everything you need for both. Modify as you like.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-MkIV-Roadster
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

13. Thanks David Hodgkins thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used the plans that CV2065 shared for the chassis dolly and it’s worked great. I will say that there comes a point in the build where I’d be a bit uncomfortable putting too much weight on it (I’m at that point now, about to drop engine in).

If the actual question is around body bucks and not chassis dolly, I can’t recommend enough the solution I used. I bought 2 kayak hoists from Amazon and put them perpendicular to the wall in my garage. The kayak strap slips go through the wheel wells and the cockpit flex is diminished by using 2 2x4s between the cockpit walls. Super light and out of the way storage at the top of the garage, and you have 2 functioning kayak lifts after the build is done (rather than having to figure out who can take a body buck)
    Atlanta GA FFR MKIV roadster. Delivered in June 2023. Build thread here

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FDLWproject View Post
    I used the plans that CV2065 shared for the chassis dolly and it’s worked great. I will say that there comes a point in the build where I’d be a bit uncomfortable putting too much weight on it (I’m at that point now, about to drop engine in).
    I’d suggest putting the wheels on before you install the engine. These Dollie’s are not meant for that much weight and it would interfere with the install.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    I’d suggest putting the wheels on before you install the engine. These Dollie’s are not meant for that much weight and it would interfere with the install.
    Agreed! That’s the plan. Bleeding the brakes and putting on the wheels, running the harness, and then done with the dolly before engine goes in
    Atlanta GA FFR MKIV roadster. Delivered in June 2023. Build thread here

17. Thanks craig6990 thanked for this post
    Likes cv2065 liked this post