BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: firewall dress up ideas

Post Thanks / Like

firewall dress up ideas

Good afternoon, all! hope your winters have been mild and/or natural disaster free...In NE Ohio, build season has begun! I am soliciting ideas for making the firewall look....well, not plain. I know powder coating is popular. I toyed with the idea of anodizing. Does anyone have a technique for the engine turned look?
    thank you!

Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    What if you took a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" aluminum, anodized it a color, and milled grooves with a ballnose endmill? You could then attach it to the standard firewall with acrylic adhesive, rivets, or screws.

A little hard to see but like the firewall on this car.

Or these valve covers.

My build thread https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Roadster-Build

Thread on Stainless Steel AN brake lines.

Thread on fasteners and torque wrenches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I liked the turned look, but my second choice was brushed aluminum look. I thoroughly sanded all of my panels in the engine bay, 320, 400, then 800 wet/dry, then carefully brushed them with scotch-brite pads for a grain look. Clean them well with lacquer thinner, then coated them with Shark-hide. This is time consuming, but I like the look clean & simple.

I believe the forum Admin Polished his firewall, then added the turned look, but masked the stripes off. It looks AWESOME, but it was a LOT of work! But looks AMAZING!!!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MPTech View Post
    I liked the turned look, but my second choice was brushed aluminum look. I thoroughly sanded all of my panels in the engine bay, 320, 400, then 800 wet/dry, then carefully brushed them with scotch-brite pads for a grain look. Clean them well with lacquer thinner, then coated them with Shark-hide. This is time consuming, but I like the look clean & simple.

I believe the forum Admin Polished his firewall, then added the turned look, but masked the stripes off. It looks AWESOME, but it was a LOT of work! But looks AMAZING!!!
    Thanks for the Kudos!

I built a jig I used to engine turn the firewall, upper and lower fan shrouds, dash and cubby walls of my brothers' build:

They are labor intensive to create, but I do love the look!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

5. Likes MPTech liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes, just a good polish works! This is the forward firewall from FF Metal which is pushed forward about 2" and much more noticeable.

9EngingBay.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Silver Hammertone on this one. I eventually got a result I liked through the school of very hard knocks and a lot of rattle can paint. I'd just get it powder coated next time.

Untitled by John Ibele, on Flickr
    MK4 #7838: IRS 3.55 TrueTrac T5z Dart 347
    The drawing is from ~7th grade, mid-1970s
    Meandering, leisurely build thread is here

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am also a fan of engine turning. I did this all in my garage with basic tools-a drill, some 2x4's and a sheet of old countertop. These are 1.5" diameter turns. After the firewall, dashboard, and door panels, my wife said "enough"!

Image - 2023-06-11T095707.544.jpegImage - 2023-07-07T213226.594.jpegImage - 2023-08-21T204306.190.jpegImage - 2023-08-21T204312.797.jpegImage - 2024-02-27T175615.077.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DanQ View Post
    After the firewall, dashboard, and door panels, my wife said "enough"!
    Looks Great! I think firewall and dash/door panels are just enough! Nice touch
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Thanks for the great ideas. Some beautiful work here!