FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: GunnyBadger Garage - Type 65 coupe build

Post Thanks / Like

GunnyBadger Garage - Type 65 coupe build

Hello all,

Quick bio before we dive into the build. My brother and I are in our 20's. We grew up working on cars (Fords/Mustangs) with our father, and got to help him build a Mk4 Roadster. 2 years ago my father purchased the gen 3 type 65 coupe kit. Due to some unforeseen health issues, he is unable to complete the build. Our father gifted us the kit a couple months ago before we transported it from Arizona to Washington. Very little work had been done to the car before we got it, only the front suspension had been installed. Fortunately, my father had purchased all of the additional parts and pieces required to complete the build (motor, trans, gauges, esc..). The only exception is tires/wheels, and seats. Even though we have helped with building a kit car before, this is quit a daunting task to take on. Im excited to document the build process to share with you all.

The build! We have a Gen 3 Type 65 coupe complete kit. IRS, KONI shocks, Wilwood brakes, Gen 3 Coyote crate motor, and a Tremec TKX transmission. We plan on buying/installing a lot of the aero features found on the Type R. Our goal is to build a unique/modern version of the classic Daytona while trying to find the balance between a show car and a race car. We do plan on tracking/racing this car. If you have any pointers or advice, please send it my way! We are gonna need all the help we can get.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GunnyBadger; 03-26-2024 at 10:08 PM.

2. Likes 460.465USMC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! Best of luck with your build. Sounds like you have an excellent start point with the gear your listed, but still have the opportunity to customize and make it your own. Best wishes to your father and his health. Hopefully you'll be able to take him on a drive when complete

4. Likes GunnyBadger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome! There are lots of helpful resouces here. Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions. Also, the manufacturers of your components can also be a big help if you can't find the answer here or want a second opinion.

6. Likes GunnyBadger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. My Gen 3 Coupe build thread, link in my sig line below, is similar to yours. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, etc. Lots of details and pictures which you may find useful. Or not. You decide. Good luck.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

8. Likes GunnyBadger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the large Factory Five family and the unique Daytona Coupe family. Don't be afraid to ask questions. (There are no stupid questions) As owners we all continue to check out the forum just waiting to help out others!
    Scott Pregont
    Present build: 65 Daytona Coupe #393 - Forte 427 EFI crate w/TKX 2.87/ .81 - Ordered 11/16/21 - Delivered 6/23/2022
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...na-Coupe-build
    My Albums
    Special Tools, Custom Parts, misc supplies: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2045
    Garage Pics: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2041
    POR15 First Try: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2068
    Silicone application tips: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/album.php?albumid=2063

10. Likes GunnyBadger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the Coupe family. I have over 200 videos on my youtube channel "Cobra Daytona Build" with lots of information.
    Looking forward to watching your build.
    Greg

12. Likes GunnyBadger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Greg,

I have been subscribed to your youtube channel for a while now. Ive probably watched all of your videos two or more times haha. You have given my brother and I a lot of inspiration for our build. It would be great to get some of your advice and tips throughout the build process.

-Blade

Post Thanks / Like
    Blade,
    Thank you for watching the videos. I wish I had built one at 28 years old but it wasn't in the cards.
    You are going to have a great adventure, especially building with your brother, so cool.
    If need anything please feel free to ask. I have met so many people because of this forum and my channel and it's been a great experience. If you PM me I can get you my phone number and we can always text.

Greg

15. Likes GunnyBadger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_5715.jpgIMG_5716.jpg
    So im having an issue threading in the angled adapter for the back of the Wilwood caliper to the braided lines. It is the NPT threaded side that is supposed to thread into the caliper. When is attempt to screw it in, it will only get about a half turn before becoming too tight to tighten by hand. I dont want to risk cross threading anything so i havent tried too hard to get it in all the way. Anyone have the same experience? or any advice?
    Last edited by GunnyBadger; 04-06-2024 at 09:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on kicking off your build! I missed your build thread as it’s in the discussion section, but glad I found it.

Last year, your Dad was kind enough to talk me through his experience/knowledge regarding licensing my kit here in Washington. It was great to chat with him. What a helpful and friendly guy!

It’s been about three years, but from what I recall those NPT Adapters don’t thread in very far. Surprisingly so. It’s been too long to remember exactly how far, but I don’t think I got much more than one turn, 1.5 turns at most. I used high temp thread sealant/paste on mine. Hopefully, someone with a better memory can confirm the number of turns for you.

I’m on the east side, north of Spokane. What part of the state are you?
    Chris
    Coupe complete kit delivered: 4/22/24. Build Thread. Coyote. T-56. IRS w/3.55. Wilwoods. PS. HVAC. Side windows.
    MK4 Complete kit. Build Thread Index. Delivered: 10/15/2020. Legal: 7/25/23. Coyote Gen3. TKO600 (0.64 OD). IRS w/3.55. PS. Wilwoods. Sway bars. This build is dedicated to my son, Benjamin. Build Thread.

18. Thanks GunnyBadger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats GunnyBadger on your build. Feel free to take a look at my pics here. They may or may not help as you progress.
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

20. Thanks GunnyBadger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Based on my experience as a mechanical engineer, something is not right. Either the hole is not tapped deep enough or the threads are not to spec on the fitting. You can see how far they should be in, based on this photo from the instructions. I would contact FFR.

Screenshot_20240403_141449_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

22. Thanks GunnyBadger thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Chris,

Im glad to hear my dad was able to help you out. Hopefully it was a smooth process for you getting the care licensed. Even with the advice I received from my dad, I am still stressed out about that process in my build. Im located on the west side of Washington in Graham. Plenty of rain over here that will keep me inside working on this car haha. I might have to move the build thread from the discussions category, didn't realize it until long after I posted it. I am currently in the process of disassembling the brake calipers so they can be powder coated a different color. This will give me some time to figure out this issue with NPT adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey lewma,

Beautiful job on your build! I appreciate you sharing the photos, this is very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been able to sneak out and work on the car recently. Paramedic school and a toddler tends to take up all my free time. I was able to get a majority of the rear suspension mocked up and fitted. Unfortunately we have been missing a decent amount of hardware for the suspension, which has delayed a lot of progress. After much time waiting for this missing hardware to be delivered, it is all finally here now. I also chose to upgrade to the longer ARP lug studs for the rear hubs. After getting everything fitted up, I took the shocks and and brake calipers apart. I will be powder coating these parts lime green. This will be our accent color for the car. In the mean time, I plan on getting started on the fuel system and pedal box.

IMG_5862.jpgIMG_5861.jpgIMG_5865.jpgIMG_5842.jpg
    Last edited by GunnyBadger; 04-10-2024 at 11:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBadger View Post
    Hey lewma,

Beautiful job on your build! I appreciate you sharing the photos, this is very helpful.
    Hit me up if you have questions. I'll help all I can
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

27. Likes GunnyBadger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBadger View Post
    Hello all,

Quick bio before we dive into the build. My brother and I are in our 20's. We grew up working on cars (Fords/Mustangs) with our father, and got to help him build a Mk4 Roadster. 2 years ago my father purchased the gen 3 type 65 coupe kit. Due to some unforeseen health issues, he is unable to complete the build. Our father gifted us the kit a couple months ago before we transported it from Arizona to Washington. Very little work had been done to the car before we got it, only the front suspension had been installed. Fortunately, my father had purchased all of the additional parts and pieces required to complete the build (motor, trans, gauges, esc..). The only exception is tires/wheels, and seats. Even though we have helped with building a kit car before, this is quit a daunting task to take on. Im excited to document the build process to share with you all.

The build! We have a Gen 3 Type 65 coupe complete kit. IRS, KONI shocks, Wilwood brakes, Gen 3 Coyote crate motor, and a Tremec TKX transmission. We plan on buying/installing a lot of the aero features found on the Type R. Our goal is to build a unique/modern version of the classic Daytona while trying to find the balance between a show car and a race car. We do plan on tracking/racing this car. If you have any pointers or advice, please send it my way! We are gonna need all the help we can get.
    Welcome, I am starting a coupe build but several months behind you as I just ordered the kit. I will be watching and looking for ideas.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

29. Likes GunnyBadger liked this post