Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Soft top / hard top what is available

Post Thanks / Like

Soft top / hard top what is available

Looking for suppliers of tops soft and hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a hardtop from 427hardtops.com
    MK4 Complete Kit #10315 / Coyote G3 / TKX / 427 HardTop
    Build Thread Production Date: 2/26/22, Registered 5/19/22, Graduated 3/1/2023

3. Likes bill1982 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    think the only soft top avail now is from Whitby. Surprised a replacement similar to rod tops kit hasn't popped up yet
    MKIV #7275 Acquired June 2019 (2010 partial build), Gen 2 Coyote by Forte w/TK600- PRO 5.0 - McLeod RST twin Clutch-QT Bell, old style IRS, 8.8 3.55 Rear, Gas'n Headers/Pipes, Power Steering, Hydroboost by Forte, Breeze Roll Bar, Heated Seats, 17" halibrand w/ Nitto G2, Maradyne Fan Controller, Paul Proe Vent Kit, Russ Thompson Signal w/ FTP- Received June 2019/First Start April 2020/Go Cart May 2020/Legal September 2020/PAINT BY SPOTLIGHT CUSTOMS JAN 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    My perspective is both surprise and disappointment that FFR has not found an alternate supplier. Although I wanted to go studless, finally went with Whitby and that allowed both a secure toneau and soft top. Not as refined looking but available. Kris Anderson from Precision Composites, who posted here within the past year has some older stock of his hard tops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EK1965 View Post
    My perspective is both surprise and disappointment that FFR has not found an alternate supplier.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Let me start off with stating I apologize to TTTF, F5, and David Hodgkins too!

I totally agree with that statement! I too am surprised and disappointed that F5 does not have options for a hard top/soft top option from their own stable and creator of the body molds themselves and finding us builders options for a soft top? I would love to hear Dave Smith’s thoughts on why they do not have that option available from them? You would sell lots and lots of them! And I wish Rod Tops found a vendor to takeover if they no longer wanted to make them. I know there’s at least a dozen builders or more who want a nice quality top.

I originally planned my build to have (AC-Air Conditioning) for my long trips to AZ and other hotter and more humid environment’s across this great country. I kick myself for not jumping on a soft top from Rod Tops back in 2019. I wanted their green fabric option and missed out now. Bummer for me! I’m not putting Whitby Motorcars down, but there is quite a difference in appearance, options and quality from what I could tell. I should’ve spent the money back then and kick myself again - OUCH!

I am apologizing to David Hodgkins again! I’m not trying to plug a vendor that is not on this site. I have supported numerous vendors on here that support this site (RIP Russ Thompson) with their products that I have incorporated into my own build. However, I am going to reach out to (Andy) at 427hardtops.com and see if I can:
    1.) - Get them to join TTTF as a supported vendor since I believe they could bring in much revenue to their company with all the requests for a hard top option.
    2.) - And put together a group-buy since they ship them in min amounts of (x4) due to sending them across the pond.

I wasn’t really planning a hardtop, but I guess I’ll go that route. If you’re interested in one of those PM directly. Again, not trying to upset the rules on the forum, I’m just trying to spurn the discussion and grow the forum for more options and give us builders quality products to be incorporated into our builds.

Anyway, I wish my Time Machine could take me back to get me a Rod Tops with the green fabric and all the options added-in. No can do. And with that, I will now step down from my builders-box (it’s made of cardboard and is starting to crumble) and I will go quietly back to my build.

Doug
    Dj or Doug or TheLateDude
    ----- #19 of 25th Anniversary MKIV 9769 -----
    Build Link: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Slow-Progress
    Ordered: Oct 07, 2019 / Production: Dec 28th, 2019 / Shipped: Jan 19th, 2019 First Start: In the future... / Graduation: Even further in the future...

7. Likes GrooveM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ...Kris Anderson from Precision Composites, who posted here within the past year has some older stock of his hard tops.
    However and unfortunately, as EK1965 and I have discussed offline and as I have posted here previously (with photos) they do not fit the Mk4 body...at least not well...without significant fiberglass modification.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    However and unfortunately, as EK1965 and I have discussed offline and as I have posted here previously (with photos) they do not fit the Mk4 body...at least not well...without significant fiberglass modification.

Jeff
    Jeff, I had numerous conversations with Kris and although he said that one or more of the remaining tops were manufactured to fit a Mk4. I was not confident enough to purchase one but suggested some current pics of the top sitting on a body might help him move them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug, I share your regret! However, the benefit to whitby for me is having a tonneau that can be used for driving and provide a protection when parked. I'll likely not use the top except for long dives with my wife and if caught in the rain. Since one has to install the fasteners I picked up some Loxx brand lifting buttons. They require les force to snap and release and they have a stud design that uses a M2.5 bolt that is much smaller than the supplied screw in stud.
    Earl

11. Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have discussed offline and as I have posted here previously (with photos) they do not fit the Mk4 body...at least not well...without significant fiberglass modification.
    Jeff
    Jeff, that is why we are lucky to have you here with sage advice and skills to match! I plan to come your way to paint my car. So, reserve one more spot on your list for me. I’m not quite ready, but thought you did a great job on Dave’s (papa) roadster and would love to have you paint mine!

Doug
    Ordered: Oct 07, 2019 / Production: Dec 28th, 2019 / Shipped: Jan 19th, 2019 First Start: In the future... / Graduation: Even further in the future...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ydousurf View Post
    Jeff, that is why we are lucky to have you here with sage advice and skills to match! I plan to come your way to paint my car. So, reserve one more spot on your list for me. I’m not quite ready, but thought you did a great job on Dave’s (papa) roadster and would love to have you paint mine!

Doug

I have Rod Top for a MKIV I would sell for $3200. Not brand new, But like new.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFinisher View Post
    I have Rod Top for a MKIV I would sell for $3200. Not brand new, But like new.
    FFinisher, consider it sold! I will buy it. PM’ing you now. Thanks!

Doug
    Last edited by ydousurf; 04-04-2024 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Contact Mr. Bruce.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I did reach out to Andy regarding the 427hardtops fiberglass top and he responded;

"All our hardtops are supplied 100% complete including all the windows and brightwork with the headlining pre installed also.
    Finished in gloss black gelcoat including the fitting kit to your cobra.
    Price delivered to Port as part of a group buy works out to £4,200 including shipping and import duties paid.
    Hope info helps and any more questions please let me know.

Kind regards
    Andy Hatton"

At the conversion rate of 1.26 $US to British pounds, £4200 is $5292. We did not discuss the waiting time from order to deliver. Realize the top is already finished, saving painting cost.
    Last edited by Cutter 54; 04-05-2024 at 07:56 AM. Reason: additional comment

17. Thanks ydousurf thanked for this post
    Likes ydousurf liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jeff, I had numerous conversations with Kris and although he said that one or more of the remaining tops were manufactured to fit a Mk4. I was not confident enough to purchase one but suggested some current pics of the top sitting on a body might help him move them.
    To EK1965A: Let us know if Kris responds. Jeff K. and I also went back and forth with Kris a month or so ago about fitment issues but never got a definitive response or assurance about whether his remaining stock will fit the Mk 4. I am not convince Kris is hot on developing this sector of his company as he has many other very high tech products he works on. I think he would need substantial incentive to gear up with making tops for the FFR Cobra. Just my impression based on the sparse attention given on this forum and on his responses to my and others' inquiries. Don't get your hopes up! Too bad, because the top seems to me a very nicely made product at a reasonable price. Credit, however, goes to the original proprietors at APE (forgot who started the company).
    Also see my contribution above about the 427 top.
    Last edited by Cutter 54; 04-05-2024 at 08:17 AM. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutter 54 View Post
    I did reach out to Andy regarding the 427hardtops fiberglass top and he responded;

"All our hardtops are supplied 100% complete including all the windows and brightwork with the headlining pre installed also.
    Finished in gloss black gelcoat including the fitting kit to your cobra.
    Price delivered to Port as part of a group buy works out to £4,200 including shipping and import duties paid.
    Hope info helps and any more questions please let me know.

Kind regards
    Andy Hatton"

At the conversion rate of 1.26 $US to British pounds, £4200 is $5292. We did not discuss the waiting time from order to deliver. Realize the top is already finished, saving painting cost.
    I've studied the beautiful 427 hardtops extensively because I've had a couple of customers who have been interested in them. Some things to be aware of:

---The top will not fit over the FFR rollbars or even the lower Breeeze bars. This means that you either have to run with no bars or cut them down. The consequence of this is that the roll bar cutouts in the body will need to be filled fully if you're going without bars or filled and relocated if using cut down bars (which will also require cutting out and rewelding the chassis mounts). Not a tremendous deal prior to paint and bodywork but if you're doing it after the fact it kinda' is.

---If you're using the 427 top on a body produced after mid 2019 the rear lift up hatch interferes with the license plate lamp and trunk lid blister. You'll either have to modify the shape of the lower edge of the hatch on the top which will involve bodywork and gelcoat repair or paint to it or replace the trunk lid with an earlier one (and deal with the license plate fit issue that those lids have). Again, if the car is already painted that's probably not an especially appealing option.

Regarding "saving painting cost"....remember, the tops are black. To me they don't look right if they aren't body color but that's just my personal opinion

Just passing along what I've learned.

Jeff

20. Thanks ydousurf, Junbug thanked for this post
    Likes bill1982 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My predictions for this race:

Smart money

Lane 1) Whitby soft top
    Lane 2) Rod Tops soft top and lots of patience searching the internet
    Land 3) Topless and foul weather gear

Long shots

Lane 4) 427hardtops and a fat check book and/or masochistic tendencies
    Lane 9) APE hard top and self-destructive tendencies

Post Thanks / Like
    My $.02, with reservations are #'s 1, 9 & 3.
    #1, fitting is a challenge. I am going through it now and the rear hoop is interfering with the roll bar & the middle bows are a bit too short. Jury is out whether alignment of the windshield and some light bending will solve all. I am more excited about the tonneau.
    #9, ask JK, fitting requires skill but appears to be doable. I believe the construction is sound but make sure the window is also fitted and finished. Recent pictures are a must.
    #3, here in Ontario the risk of rain is too great. I would still go tonneau for overnight and partial coverage when alone in the car
    # 4 is darn sexy and #2 is hopeless, unless you are ydousurf....good snag

Best of luck!
    Earl
    Last edited by EK1965; 04-10-2024 at 09:14 AM. Reason: mistake meant #3 not #2

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug,
    From all the pics and other info from 427HT I agree that they are a fantastic hard top to consider and they are reasonably priced for what you get. I agree that they should consider becoming a supported vendor. I contacted them over a year ago and asked if they might fit or be able to be modified to fit my Mark I and the answer was no. They ONLY fit Mark IV bodies. Bummer for me but for those of you who have Mark IV's, they are beautiful! Maybe I should sell mine and build a Mark IV? Hmmmm.
    Nate Johnson
    Mark I 302 from a 92 Mustang GT 650 CFM Carb 99 GT Solid Axle with 3:27
    "If you don't take the time to do it right, you'll make the time to do it over." - Dad

Post Thanks / Like
    At one point Whitby had some hard tops may be worth a call. I’m sure some fitting would be needed.
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've studied the beautiful 427 hardtops extensively because I've had a couple of customers who have been interested in them. Some things to be aware of:

---The top will not fit over the FFR rollbars or even the lower Breeeze bars. This means that you either have to run with no bars or cut them down. The consequence of this is that the roll bar cutouts in the body will need to be filled fully if you're going without bars or filled and relocated if using cut down bars (which will also require cutting out and rewelding the chassis mounts). Not a tremendous deal prior to paint and bodywork but if you're doing it after the fact it kinda' is.

Jeff
    My personal experience with this, I used the breeze roll bars and had to cut them down about an inch I believe, don't hold me to that exact dimension. It was insignificant enough that I did not have to fill the body (the grommets from Mike still covered the holes without issue) and did not have to reweld the chassis mounts.. I little physical persuasion was enough to realign the slant bar maybe 1/4".

100% agree on the painting. Its no more "painted" than the FF Bodies are.. its just bare black gel coat and certainly not a finished product.
    Last edited by JeffP; 04-09-2024 at 07:13 AM.
    MK4 Complete Kit #10315 / Coyote G3 / TKX / 427 HardTop
    Build Thread Production Date: 2/26/22, Registered 5/19/22, Graduated 3/1/2023

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the rod tops on my mk3. It took 9 months to get. I drove the car home 500 miles from the painter and then took it off. In 5 months I have not put it back on.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a shame that the Rod Tops are no longer available..I just completed 2800 miles of smiles with the top in place with over 300 in substantial rain. Hardly a drop inside the car.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

28. Likes John4337 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    "I have the rod tops on my mk3. It took 9 months to get. I drove the car home 500 miles from the painter and then took it off. In 5 months I have not put it back on."

Maybe you should consider selling it. There is obviously a small but hungry market for this item. I take your comment as reflecting your regret in buying ANY top and not a reflection of the Rod Top. Or am I missing something? I have not read any negative reports about the product itself.
    Last edited by Cutter 54; 04-09-2024 at 07:09 PM. Reason: added quote

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    "100% agree on the painting. It's no more "painted" than the FF Bodies are.. its just bare black gel coat and certainly not a finished product."

Good point. I didn't pay close enough attention to those words "gel coat". Big difference. Essentially unfinished, although MAYBE satisfactory for some, but not ideal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My $.02, with reservations are #'s 1, 9 & 2.
    #1, fitting is a challenge. I am going through it now and the rear hoop is interfering with the roll bar & the middle bows are a bit too short. Jury is out whether alignment of the windshield and some light bending will solve all. I am more excited about the tonneau.
    #9, ask JK, fitting requires skill but appears to be doable. I believe the construction is sound but make sure the window is also fitted and finished. Recent pictures are a must.
    #2, here in Ontario the risk of rain is too great. I would still go tonneau for overnight and partial coverage when alone in the car

Best of luck!
    Earl
    Earl, 2 comments I want to make; 1) please educate me on how a tonneau is a substitute for a top. I see how the tonneau keeps the cockpit dry either stationary or while driving, but keeping the driver dry and out of the sun or wind? Not seeing it. The car is basically still open. Seems like apples and tuna fish.
    2) The APE top CAN be modified to fit with substantial effort and skill, as JK demonstrates. Decide if you have the necessary skill level. I certainly do not. But how many people will need to twist the arm of the company owner to motivate him to market this product, let alone do the necessary work to MAKE IT FIT THE MK 4 ALREADY? You have heard the expression "beating a dead horse"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl, 2 comments I want to make; 1) please educate me on how a tonneau is a substitute for a top. I see how the tonneau keeps the cockpit dry either stationary or while driving, but keeping the driver dry and out of the sun or wind? Not seeing it. The car is basically still open. Seems like apples and tuna fish.
    2) The APE top CAN be modified to fit with substantial effort and skill, as JK demonstrates. Decide if you have the necessary skill level. I certainly do not. But how many people will need to twist the arm of the company owner to motivate him to market this product, let alone do the necessary work to MAKE IT FIT THE MK 4 ALREADY? You have heard the expression "beating a dead horse"?
    Hey Cutter, the tonneau is not a substitute for a top but a slight improvement to a "topless and foul weather gear" approach(edit - i mistakenly referenced #2 when it should have been #3!!). I agree with the Precision Composites (ex APE) comment - no skills or reasonable body and paint shop here - hence why I went the Whitby direction. Same reason why I shipped my car to JMiller!
    Earl
    Last edited by EK1965; 04-10-2024 at 09:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    "I have the rod tops on my mk3. It took 9 months to get. I drove the car home 500 miles from the painter and then took it off. In 5 months I have not put it back on."

Maybe you should consider selling it. There is obviously a small but hungry market for this item. I take your comment as reflecting your regret in buying ANY top and not a reflection of the Rod Top. Or am I missing something? I have not read any negative reports about the product itself.
    I am waiting on the hot weather in Florida to start. I will make a assessment then. The top is not as simple to take on and off as they advertise. The windows look like too much work to get in and out of the car. With all that said the top is very well built and high Quality. I wish you could drive with the top folded down like in a miata. Unfortunately it's not possible. When I drove home from the painter (500 miles) It rained the last 2 hours. Without windows I stayed mostly dry. I'll try to report back when it 100 degrees out and I try the top out with ac.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    I am waiting on the hot weather in Florida to start. I will make a assessment then. The top is not as simple to take on and off as they advertise. The windows look like too much work to get in and out of the car. With all that said the top is very well built and high Quality. I wish you could drive with the top folded down like in a miata. Unfortunately it's not possible. When I drove home from the painter (500 miles) It rained the last 2 hours. Without windows I stayed mostly dry. I'll try to report back when it 100 degrees out and I try the top out with ac.
    Thanks for reply. I agree with the new Miata top. I have driven one and thought it was ideal.
    I would love feedback about your experience in the hot Southern sun this upcoming season, as I may use the car in Florida eventually. No AC at this point, but seems like a great idea for use in the South during the hot months.

Who did the AC? I would need to have someone do it on mine, like North Race Cars. Looks pretty involved.
    Last edited by Cutter 54; 04-10-2024 at 11:43 AM. Reason: error.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hey Cutter, the tonneau is not a substitute for a top but a slight improvement to a "topless and foul weather gear" approach(edit - i mistakenly referenced #2 when it should have been #3!!). I agree with the Precision Composites (ex APE) comment - no skills or reasonable body and paint shop here - hence why I went the Whitby direction. Same reason why I shipped my car to JMiller!
    Earl
    I have just been reading (again) about Piggy Back snapless tonneaus and how nice they are. I think there is one of these in my future. I see how a tonneau addresses the basic need to cover the vulnerable components while parked, at a reasonable price and it is very portable.

I hope your Whitby top works out. Too bad it doesn't fit perfectly. Is yours an older Roadster? I am on the fence about buying one for my Mk 4 as a last resort.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have just been reading (again) about Piggy Back snapless tonneaus and how nice they are. I think there is one of these in my future. I see how a tonneau addresses the basic need to cover the vulnerable components while parked, at a reasonable price and it is very portable.

I hope your Whitby top works out. Too bad it doesn't fit perfectly. Is yours an older Roadster? I am on the fence about buying one for my Mk 4 as a last resort.
    2022 Mk4, body fit by Jeff Miller who has done a few. The drivers side windshield is close to the correct angle but a bit far forward (27 3/8" on drivers vs 27" from door frame to screw on the pass side) so the stretcher that connects the main hoop to the windshield is a bit too short. I am going to work on that fit first and expect that it will be an easy fix by reorienting the windshield mounts. There is a rear 1/2 hoop that is attached to the main hoop and is supposed to go behind the roll bars but is too short to bend around the rear upper 7/8ths of the roll bars, so may need to create an offset mount for the 1/2 hoop in order to clear. However, can't do that until the windshield to main hoop is fixed. One of the bows that connects the drivers and pass side stretcher is a short as well, may sort itself out after windshield repositioning or a bit of encouragement. I can't say whether its an all cars are a bit different or a common issue and it is close but not quite.

I went with the snapped tonneau and picked up some LOXX non-screw in stud fasteners, less obvious and I preferred the working mechanism. I'll post some pics later in the week for reference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for reply. I agree with the new Miata top. I have driven one and thought it was ideal.
    I would love feedback about your experience in the hot Southern sun this upcoming season, as I may use the car in Florida eventually. No AC at this point, but seems like a great idea for use in the South during the hot months.

Who did the AC? I would need to have someone do it on mine, like North Race Cars. Looks pretty involved.
    The ac is a vintage air unit. I'll take a picture of it this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, as to keep this thread alive a little longer, here is my update. Of course, like always, I’ve been busy and late too! Anyway, this…

My $.02

Best of luck!
    Earl
    Well, Earl, I did try to reach out to FFinisher a couple of times and no response at all over the past 3 weeks? And since there has been no communication to advise me otherwise, I’m no longer interested his soft top. That’s way too much money in a world of scammers and lack of validation. Whatever. I’m sure FFinsher is legit, but you can’t make a sale or have confidence in lack of communication.

1st- If I was (FFinisher) him, I wouldn’t sell it either! And if it’s still up for sale, someone else can have it. I’m no longer interested in it.

2nd- Those who reached out to me, I spoke with Andy @427hardtops and he says they do have a list for people out on Facebook to coordinate a purchase. I’m not a fan of that social platform, however, I re-joined the site just to see his page and info.

Now, I have been in communication with Andy at 427hardtops and I am hoping I have convinced him to join this forum as a vendor. We’ll see.

So, with that said…
    @David Hodgkins - Please reach out to Andy at - https://www.427hardtops.com/
    Here is Andy Hatton’s phone number: +44 0779 495 1611

Andy is very interested in becoming and joining - https://thefactoryfiveforum.com site as a supported vendor. Woohoo!

I believe he can open up more traffic for the site from across the pond and even bring in more sales to F5 customers overseas. And “We” (current & future) builders on TFFF site can have another option for a really great hardtop to incorporate into our builds. I know of one other current member who has reached out to me regarding getting in on a group buy. We need a minimum of three individuals to get the 427hardtops shipped to the states.

I am working with Andy to coordinate getting on a list, so if you are interested, send me a pm directly and I can compile the names and get your specifics added. For those who have reached out to me already, I will follow-up on the status of getting a purchase started once I speak directly with Andy this coming week.

Anyway, I will reach out to you David, and hopefully we’ll get 427hardtops added here on the site as a solid vendor with an incredible product to help all of us build our ultimate roadster (cobra) dreams.

I guess if I can say I gave back to site by helping (TFFF, 427hardtops and “us” builders) get a beautiful hardtop option, then everyone wins! Maybe I can put a feather in my cap, er, wind wing as something I did for us all! Happy building…

Doug
    Last edited by ydousurf; 04-28-2024 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Doug, sorry to hear that you got ghosted on the rod tops...I have lived that for 12 months...but great call on the 427 top. They are damn sexy! I need more flexibility so top & tonneau are the best functional fit for me. The Whitby top was a bit of a challenge to get on but two sets of hands and two half brains got it done. When fully stretched the top looks better than I expected from the pics I have seen. Ill post once the car s cleaned and out of the garage for the season, but here is a loose pic while waiting for the contact cement to cure. Also a pic of the tonneau, can anyone see a problem?tonneau.jpgtop.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Doug, sorry to hear that you got ghosted on the rod tops...I have lived that for 12 months...but great call on the 427 top. They are damn sexy! tonneau.jpg
    top.jpg
    Hey EK1965, yeah, I tried and tried and tried to even speak with someone's at rod tops and just got no where. They need to update their website and remove the vehicle top options if they are no longer making them! It’s too bad, they did have a beautiful top and what I like the best was the choice of options. Whitby makes a good top as well, but I have since fallen in love with the 427hardtops fastback look. I think it will compliment my air conditioning best, and extend my driving season too. Plus you said it - they are damn sexy looking! I’m putting a stroked 427c.i. in my car as well, so I might as well add the 427 top. It’s only money right? Well, that and more time! But if you’re gonna build your dream, then DREAM BIG!!!!!

I just spoke w/Andy this morning and he said he wants to become a vendor. I advised David H. To reach out to him. I’ve done all the ground work with lots of communication to get 427hardtops on board, it’s now up to David to seal the deal! Hopefully he’ll become a silver supported vendor and maybe even gold very soon.

As for the 427hardtops, I am putting together a group buy and will be putting my deposit down here in the next week or so. I have reached out to two other builders and hoping to get a locked-in shipment sent to us here in Colorado. If anyone is seriously interested in getting a top, pm me. Andy will ship them in groups of either 3 or 4 to fit in a crate. They aren’t cheap, but they sure are sexy and form meets function. Hands down, it is clearly the best hard top on the market. Anyway, let me know if any of you are interested…

Hopefully will get 427hardtops on here as a supported vendor and it won’t be so taboo to discuss having this top as an option for all future builders.

Doug
    Last edited by ydousurf; Yesterday at 10:36 AM. Reason: Spelling

41. Likes John4337 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys should contact Bruce Chervenak, "Mr. Bruce". he's a one-man shop in PA, and he can make any configuration of hardtop you're after. he's reasonably priced and you're not going to be hit with international shipping and customs. You can reach him at [email protected] or call him at 412-466-1312. Bruce made my FIA body that fits on the MKIV frame before FFR started offering the FIA kit.

David, I hope since there are no vendors that offer hardtops that I haven't violated the site's policies.
    Rick

Mk4 with Mr. Bruce FIA body, 331 w/ Speedmaster Stack Injection, Full Width Roll Bar with high brake lights by i.e.427, IRS, ABS, PS, PB, FAST FI, First start 3/30/20, First go-kart 7/5/20, paint by Ken Pike