Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Carroll Shelby Dies at 89

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Carroll Shelby Dies at 89

News just crossed my desk that Carroll Shelby has died yesterday at 89 years old. I'll have to gather my thoughts before I write anything, but I wanted you all to know.

Click here to read the story on Speed's website.

Dave Smith
    Factory Five Racing President
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 05-11-2012 at 03:28 PM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have changed the censor to allow 'Shelby' to remain without changing to '******'.

Please, PLEASE to respect the dead. Strong inflammatory comments may be edited or removed.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Carroll is a real legend. A shame to lose him. My prayers are out for him, and my sympathy for his family. May he rest in peace.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As I've stated elsewhere, I strongly disagree with his actions over the past several years. That said, I have nothing but respect for his contributions to American motorsports, in developing the car of which we have all fallen in love. RIP Carroll Shelby.

Post Thanks / Like
    His legend will live on forever. He has certainly made his mark on the auto industry and race history. FFR would not exist if Mr. Shelby didn't stuff huge american engines in little Brittish cars. RIP Carroll Shelby.
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Personal idiosyncracies and behavior will be forgotten but his contributions will live on. Shelby was cut from the same sort of stuff of Howard Hughs (IMO), an iconic but somewhat tragic figure in history. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I am still to this day of the firm belief that it was not just Shelby's actions. I firmly believe that alot of it happened due to the people around him. Whatever the case I am saddened to here of his passing. He was a great driver who helped put Ferrari in his place and as far as i am concerned he will be missed. Another one of the old guard has gone may he rest in peace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very sad to hear this
    He has inspired me in ways I would have never dreamed of if it were not for him.
    RIP
    Mark Dougherty
    The traveling Builder
    Last edited by Mark Dougherty; 05-12-2012 at 07:00 AM.

...master of none. CapeCoralCobra's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    RIP, CS. If it wasn't for him AND Dave Smith, I wouldn't be on this forum with my dream car in the garage.
    Alan, Mk 3.1 #7172, 308, GT40P heads, Crane roller rockers, TFS Stage 1 cam, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, Pro M 75mm MAF, March pulleys, Cobra spec T5, 3.73 8.8, Konis all around, 15" FFR Halibrands, Viper Red/Pure White Stripes.
    "There's nothing you can't do, only stuff you haven't done yet!" Randy Jones

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    He truly lived and defined what we've come to know as the American Racing Dream.....Grassroots in his day, strong-willed, and passionate about speed and performance. I am honored to be competing in the sillouhette of America's Greatest Racecar.....Shelby built a legend, and Dave Smith made it possible for all of us to build our dream. Karen

Racing last year with the SCCA Historics at Laguna Seca:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It is a sad day in automotive history. His vision and fire to kick Ferrari's *** resulted in what is STILL one of the most beautiful and loved cars of the 20th century. Not even Carroll himself could have envisioned all that he has accomplished, back in 1959 when he was forced to quit racing, but he DID have a vision to build cars under his name. The result of which only a few will ever achieve in their own lifetime... creation of an iconic car, a LeMan's winner, two FIA Championships, an image builder to both Ford and Dodge, a kids foundation, a WWII airplane instructor, a chicken farmer, a father and husband.

How luck he was to lived the life he did, even on borrowed body parts! (Hey, that kidney isn't original equipment!).

Today, like most Fridays, I drove FFR 4883 to work. I learned about his death at lunch. When I drove home, I thought about him, punched the accelerator to 100mph as a tribute to him... and just smiled all the way home. Thank you Mr. Shelby for creating the mold for the car I cherish today. You will be missed and grateful for a 60 seconds of time I got to meet you last year.
    https://hhong43.wixsite.com/snkvnnm-build
    FFR #4883: 347CID|CompCam Magnum 286HR|Vic. Jr. heads|Hurricane Intake | Mighty Demon 650DP|IRS w/Torsen T2 & 3.55 | MSD ignition system | Mallory pump/filter/reg.|Forgestar CF5 18" w/245-45R18 & 295-35R18|Original I-Squared 1+1 System ☺ ☺☺

Post Thanks / Like
    He is and was a man that deserves respect, but the personal opinions he earned were warranted both positive and negative. God speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    A visionary that spawned one of the most iconic cars ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky Cobra Club Remembers and Thanks The Legacy

Post Thanks / Like
    Shellby_Tribute.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    News just crossed my desk that Carroll Shelby has died yesterday at 89 years old. I'll have to gather my thoughts before I write anything, but I wanted you all to know.

Click here to read the story on Speed's website.

Dave Smith
    Factory Five Racing President

Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky Cobra Club Remembers and Thanks The Legacy

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    He lived the All American Red Blooded kids dream.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Carroll Shelby gave us proof that America and her citizens can be great even if formed from simple roots. It's not so much what you have as it is what you do that can make such an impact on the world. I never knew Carroll but what I do know he was one person I would have loved to have known. I'm very sad to hear of his passing. I'll paint a tear on my coupe in his honor because I have had such joy in experiencing the world of GT motor sports, cars he made possible, and with which he triumphed over the established dominance of Ferrari.

Thank you Mr. Shelby