BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How's everyone doing here? Feedback on the format?

Post Thanks / Like

How's everyone doing here? Feedback on the format?

I wanted to put a post to let you know that we are pushing hard to get more users migrated to this forum since it has the full support and backing of Factory Five. We made some changes a while back to make it easier for new builders to find things and there were some positive comments and some negative ones. Some have requested that other forums share this format with categories. Is there something here that we need that the other forum has? Was the change in format too much? Just let us know so we can make it a better experience and get more people moving over here.

Dave Smith's goal in creating this forum was to give a better experience to the user and the vendors who are small and trying to grow the FFR experience. FFcars is the opposite and it's all about money for them because that's their business. So the question is, who do we want to support? Factory Five or FFcars? Please let us know. Thanks!

Erik

Post Thanks / Like
    Really wish more people would migrate over here. I think the fact that most of the posts in the last year have been about the 818 might be scaring people off. I for one have seen a drastic drop in business since i stopped advertising on the other site. Really hope this one continues to grow.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have to agree with Mike. This one seems like the 818 forum with some roadster stuff. The other one feels like a roadster forum with some GTM and Hot Rod stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Erik,

If this is 33HR only then I apologize.

I am one of the Guys that put out a plea (in the GTM area) for the GTM area to be made to mirror what you Guys have here.

IMO the sub-forums here are straight forward and allow for an easier search.

Please! Do this for the GTM forum. Thanks.
    Last edited by VD2021; 11-08-2012 at 06:10 PM. Reason: HD to HR
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    if you are talking about the gtm also, i'd like to see something like the 64k questions on the other forum. super informative for new people, without having to start new threads to explain previously discussed material. when you go to the gtm wiki stuff, hardly any info.

Post Thanks / Like
    IMHO, I love this forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One thing I hear over and over from some of the regulars is "yeah, I lurk over there (here) but there isn't much traffic. My response is always "There won't be until you actually start posting!". We have everything here that they have there plus blogs and latest posts for each model PLUS, as stated above, we are enthusiasts who actually care about the community, have these cars ourselves, and are really trying to help out and promote vendors who specialize in FFRs. No ads for hybridcars.com or giggle.com here.

As far as overall traffic though, I feel like we're beginning to hold our own with the other FFR models actually. Yes, the majority is 818 threads but there are threads on the front page right now for every model.

As a community, I feel like we're definitely on the right track. There is a lot on negativity on the other board that - IMO - started when Wayne's pub was introduced and has accelerated after the sale by the original owner.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like it just fine.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Erik. I have read your post seeking feedback on the format where you ask the question "is there something here that we need that the other forum has? Can I suggest that you actually have something here that the other forum doesn't have in the "Ask A Factory Five Technician" page. In early July I posted a simple question on Rack and Pinion measurements that was never answered. Around that post are five other very simple questions posted by other builders that went unanswered too. In my case Factory Five also chose not to reply to my numerous emails concerning the R&P dimensions I needed to build a right hand steer for my 33 HR here in Australia. It can't be hard to see why, from my point of view anyway, that selling this forum on the strength of it's "full support and backing of Factory Five" might not attract every FFR Customer.
    I did however get the information I needed through the "other " Forum by way of a fellow builder. In winding up on this rather negative response ,can I just say, however, that I am very pleased to see Tony Zullo has joined the FFR staff. He has been most helpful to me on other issues.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i understand what dave hodgkins is saying with the other forum being more negative, and i'm glad this forum is here for vendors to have an affordable place to advertise. (i'll be one soon.)it only helps ffr to have a healthy aftermarket. on the other hand, if input is provided and dismissed, saying everythings fine like it is, then no good can come out of these discussions. there is only a FRACTION of the gtm info here that's on the "other" forum. hopefully that will change, but for now it's a fact. i want to restate, i'm not trying to be negative, i'd like to see this forum advance and become the dominant forum for all ffr cars.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think where you go regularly is a function of "culture", to a certain extent your personal culture (experiences) but to a greater extent the culture of the place you go. I like it here because it makes me feel more comfortable and I do get what I need. This forum has gotten better with time. I also go to "Club Cobra" but it is mostly to see how the rest of the world sees it. It's pretty wild out there in the world. I hope this forum gains strength with numbers from the 818 group and the other subforums grow some and hold their own. If you are a true supporter of FFR, you should support this forum even if you wander around. All in all, it's a pretty good place to be. IMO, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrel View Post
    can I just say, however, that I am very pleased to see Tony Zullo has joined the FFR staff. He has been most helpful to me on other issues.
    Yes you can and yes you are right. He's killing it. I know Tony is new and you can tell by the incredible enthusiasm he has. We'll see how he's doing after 5 years of the same questions! I'm kidding. Seriously, I'm sure he will be awesome for years to come and we'll work to get him using periods and commas and all that fun stuff.

Can I suggest that you actually have something here that the other forum doesn't have in the "Ask A Factory Five Technician" page. In early July I posted a simple question on Rack and Pinion measurements that was never answered. Around that post are five other very simple questions posted by other builders that went unanswered too. In my case Factory Five also chose not to reply to my numerous emails concerning the R&P dimensions I needed to build a right hand steer for my 33 HR here in Australia
    We all have to remember that these are people behind the phones and the emails and they just get swamped. And, sometimes they just don't have the answer so they may not post. AND, to answer your question, I'll see what can be done on that "Ask a tech Button." I can imagine the concern might be one of making sure the customer has tried to search the forums first rather than just asking the question up front. But it's a great idea and I'll bring it up with the powers that be. I could actually drive more traffic here and lower their phone button which would be great. Thanks!
    Last edited by ehansen007; 11-09-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    We're going to look at putting a link at the top for the "Ask a Factory Five tech" but I think it will have to link back to the main forum where it already exists. Mad Dog would like to keep it all in one place. Were you saying it needed to be specific to each forum? I know why that would make sense but want to make sure that's what you were asking. The page on the main forum seems to be working quite well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Erik. I have read your post seeking feedback on the format where you ask the question "is there something here that we need that the other forum has? Can I suggest that you actually have something here that the other forum doesn't have in the "Ask A Factory Five Technician" page. In early July I posted a simple question on Rack and Pinion measurements that was never answered. Around that post are five other very simple questions posted by other builders that went unanswered too. In my case Factory Five also chose not to reply to my numerous emails concerning the R&P dimensions I needed to build a right hand steer for my 33 HR here in Australia. It can't be hard to see why, from my point of view anyway, that selling this forum on the strength of it's "full support and backing of Factory Five" might not attract every FFR Customer.
    I did however get the information I needed through the "other " Forum by way of a fellow builder. In winding up on this rather negative response ,can I just say, however, that I am very pleased to see Tony Zullo has joined the FFR staff. He has been most helpful to me on other issues.
    I have had the same experience with the FF tech questions, most of them went un-answered by FF and I eventually gave up and went to the community, and always got an answer there.
    Right now I'm having the same results with Uni-steer 3 no answers in 2 weeks.
    DB

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The one thing I am looking for is the Wiki-Build tech to be populated.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there was going to be a huge push to get it populated from the hundreds and hundreds of documents that FFR already has.

Unless there was a decision to wait for the community to develop it?

Martin
    Previous forum name was "Fezzek"

Webmaster, FFR
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys,

We're making a big effort in answering questions more and more on the forum. By keeping the ask a tech guy questions to one forum, it's just my attempt to help keep the forum from having a ton of sub-forums. We've added a link in the top nav that brings you to the Ask a FFR Tech forum easier from where ever you are on the forum and I'll bring it up tomorrow in the morning meeting we have here in the office so that all the tech guys know what's going on.

Thanks for all of your feedback!
    Dave Lindsey
    FFR's Mad Dog

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    Hi guys,

We're making a big effort in answering questions more and more on the forum. By keeping the ask a tech guy questions to one forum, it's just my attempt to help keep the forum from having a ton of sub-forums. We've added a link in the top nav that brings you to the Ask a FFR Tech forum easier from where ever you are on the forum and I'll bring it up tomorrow in the morning meeting we have here in the office so that all the tech guys know what's going on.

Thanks for all of your feedback!
    I think you are headed in the right direction. Additional subforums complicates things just like having more and more folders and files on netwark drives. More direct access to your destination (fewer clicks) is desirable. That's the way they are going with Window 8. IMO, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One thing I have issues with on the other forum is the number of "stickies" there are. Way too may stickies on the 33 forum than needed there. The roadster side of thigs has just a few but the 33 side has about a dozen. If your post is more than a few days old, it goes to the next page because of this.
    When you look at the dates, some haven't been used for a year or better. I've been waiting for them to add one for "post the dates you put gas in your 33."

One suggestion with this forum is to have a VERY visable link to the Factory Five website for new people. It took me awhile to find the link at the bottom of the home page. It should be something easy to find on every page so that a new guy can go to the website to look at kits, prices, parts, etc. Just a thought .........

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How about a seperate place to post completed cars and photos? Or is there a place I don't know of, or can't seem to find? Thanks , Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    The menu bar at the top needs to have a drop down feature rather than clicking to move to a main section. I agree with David about the negativity on the other forum. Don't know if it is from the pub or not. There IS a lot of lively conversation in there. As I am lurking about the 818 forum right now, I find myself spending more and more time on this side of things. I also enjoy the fact that Dave makes appearances on the 818 forum to update everyone. In his busy world, I don't see how he has time to even get his computer booted up. Keep up the good work guys.
    Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Steve, if you click on the "Links" button a menu drops down with links to the different forums. Is this what you mean?

Let me know if you are thinking of something else...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    i really enjoy Dave Smith's insights and comments. Dave posts on different threads as the need arises. Perhaps all his posts could ALSO be conveniently cross- posted in a "Dave's Corner" section/ area of the forum.
    Telescopes are instruments of hope and faith. Hope that a better, clearer and brighter universe can be observed. Faith that we can bring these discoveries back to our small planet and create positive changes for all of it's inhabitants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Steve, if you click on the "Links" button a menu drops down with links to the different forums. Is this what you mean?

Let me know if you are thinking of something else...

That is what I am talking about. On the other site, you just hover over the top and the dropdown menu appears. I actually have never gotten over to the links button before. I just go to the forum button and move from there. Guess I need to spend even MORE time on here learning to navigate this site.

Steve
    MK 3.1 #6422, Complete Kit, 340hp Ford Racing Crate Engine, WC T-5 Trans, 3.55 Rear, Barcelona Red Mica Metallic, Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the other forum is easier to navigate, when I get to the bottom of the page I can easier select where to go to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes for some reason the other forum is easier to navigate, I am startingto get used to this one, and find myself spending more time here, need to bring others here somehow.

Post Thanks / Like
    I find it hard to start a new thread. Am I missing something? I did it once and cannot figure it out again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    I find it hard to start a new thread. Am I missing something? I did it once and cannot figure it out again.
    Screen Shot 2012-11-17 at 8.46.46 PM.png

I clicked on the forums tab, then selected one of the sub-forums that I wanted to post in, then you can see the "Post New Thread" button on the left hand side of the screen. There you go & have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I generally scan the front page recent post list as my jumping off spot. The other site lists which sub forum the post is in and has a link to that forum. Easy to see if the question posted is even relating to the car I have knowledge about to add to the discussion.

Ive mentioned this next point when the site launched. I think the wiki section is a vastly underutilized section..and the answer I got was that the software package they purchased doesnt have options for making it a true wiki...freely updated by anyone at anytime. The faq section on the other forum is maddeningly out of date and overly brief...very hard to glean any information out of unless you know what they are talking about before going there. There are several posts where someone has exhaustively written up a how-to on some subject with pictures and diagrams and they are hugely helpfull...but then they are very hard to find in the search...Greg_M's write up on ABS for example...its far enough down the list that a search for ABS gets you nowhere...its on like page 10+ of the search results. That is the sort of thing that should be in the wiki...and if Whoever wrote it up doesnt have the time or skills or maybe has bad pictures or the process is modified down the road, it should be able to be updated by someone who wants to take the time to polish it up...

I guess the final thing is that as my build winds down and I ask fewer and fewer questions and start to make the transition to question answerer, I end up coming to the forums to kinda hang with the guys..which means more and more time goofing off in the off topic forums until a question I could answer pops up...the "corporate" feel here just kinda says that this isnt the place for some of that goofiness..I just dont think Dave wants discussions of Bond women associated with his company..and rightly so. Not sure what the solution to that one is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great feedback guys. Keep it coming. I've been watching this thread and taking notes...

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    We discussed the format a while ago and had lots of input.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-format-Thanks

Actually, I think the traffic on the '33 section of FFRcars has also dropped off some. Not sure if that is a funtion of people having less problems because of refinments in the kit, there's lot of info already there for the searching or there aren't as many kits being sold. Also seems like people aren't much interested in posting thier builds. Or maybe it's just a cobination of all of that, who knows.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the "clean" format very much. Like others have said, just hope the traffic keeps picking up. Really like the "Latest Posts" link. That's what I usually first check every time a come here. One thing I miss from the "other" forum is the "View First Unread" button in each thread. When the threads get long, it's really nice to just jump to wherever I left off the last time visited.

Update: Duh... my bad. Now I see the "View First Unread" link on the RH side top of each thread. Doesn't take much change to confuse me...
    Last edited by edwardb; 11-20-2012 at 11:29 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate the "Ask a Factory Five Tech" feature as a way to communicate with FF other than email or phone. Hope to hear back on yesterday's post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Great feedback guys. Keep it coming. I've been watching this thread and taking notes...

"He's making a list, checking it twice....."..Sorry, so much sadness this weekend I need to smile..too many tears..