Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiki?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wiki?

Does anyone know how the wiki gets built? I assume it would be user-built but moderated. Seems like enough knowledge here to really get that thing up to speed to consolidate the information on basic build stuff.
    KD - Formerly beartoothweb
    FFR#6407
    Home 4/18/09 - Roller 12/7/09 - First Start 1/23/11 - First Official Go Kart - 4/10/11
    Build Site
    What I do to pay for it all - Web Design, Graphics, and Programming

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't know the wiki sounds like a great idea
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi guys, how do you post a new thread with this format?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Levy View Post
    Hi guys, how do you post a new thread with this format?
    Use the "+Post new thread" button at the top of the forum page
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    I found it, the page i was on looked like a twitter page.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the things I've been meaning to put together is a "Nut and Bolt" list - kind of a roadster checkup list to use out when the car gets winterized or when coming out of storage for the winter. I'll try to document it when I pull mine out of storage in a month or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I cant see any wiki. Happy to start one and get stuck in filling content.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Wiki idea is a great move. Once built it will save a lot of time for builders doing research.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stay tuned on the WIKI... I do think it will be one of the forums best features. Its something Ive been bugging Dave Smith about for about a year. Lets get a user generated/updated build manual going... It will be a great way to suppliment FFR's build manual with extra text and pictues.

Let me know what you think of that.

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just had an exchange with a new builder who is used to having all of the threads in one place he can weed through. I gave him a solution he loved. From the home page, you can see links to each car and the community forum (where all non build posts will happen going forward) click on the Roadster link and you will see all the latest Roadster build posts, as well as a wiki dedicated to the Roadster. There are only a few categories defined, but it will get very grandular, with link to specific areas of the build for each car. The posts in the wiki will come from all of us. They will be threads on a particular part of the build that we will promote to the wiki.

Check it out and let us know what you think!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    For the IT-challenged among us, can someone explain the vision of a wiki on this forum? Would it be administratively organized and moderated, or would it be a free-for-all of constant, contributor changes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It will be promoted from build thread to the Wiki by the mods...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it COULD be something where experienced builders could post their experiences, these would include manual instructions, customizations, tips-tricks etc. Those posts COULD be un-certified when posted then certified by another builder if suitable.

The entire FFR experience could be documented...right from the dream to the drive.

ie.
    Time to order: called factory five to discuss my build-options I chose/why
    Talked to Jason regarding shipping vs pickup from Canada

Five lug conversion: Fox spindles-use 89 lincloln 5 lug front hubs/disks
    --user A--I bought from FFR they worked great
    --user B--shipped from Levy, cost was fast and arrived quickly
    --user C--picked up new from Napa on sale

etc....

I'm a build rookie, I have boxes of hali's and some suspension parts...I wouldn't have much to add to a wiki post...
    ...But there are guys that know these builds, they have made mistakes, acquired new skills and developed tricks that could help us all.

These things could be laid out in a well defined wiki, user submissions that would make an FFR build a better experience for everyone.

I certainly could use it! I almost bought a second set of front spindles before by chance I read a thread that I could use new disks from a lincoln on fox spindles. How would a rookie know these things without reading hundreds and hundreds of posts...you might not even know its possible so how do you search for that!

WIKI! It's all there...step by step. It would take time to develop, it would require the support of loyal FFRers. But it will help all of us, including FFR, improve our builds.
    10 years after my roadster build....
    289 FIA (pickup 28/08/20 if covid permits)
    currently building a 289 and accumulating parts needed to finish a Canadian Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I realize FFR is charging right now for the electronic build manual on the MKIV. It seems that the best wiki approach, however, would actually be to create a base WIKI with the build manual, which is not editable, but then give the users the ability to augment (moderated, of course), each section. The challenge is guys like me, with the MK3.1, and not knowing if my approach for say, throttle pedal placement or headlight wiring might have changed. Those are probably bad examples, but you get the point.

FFR...thoughts on that?
    KD - Formerly beartoothweb
    FFR#6407
    Home 4/18/09 - Roller 12/7/09 - First Start 1/23/11 - First Official Go Kart - 4/10/11
    Build Site
    What I do to pay for it all - Web Design, Graphics, and Programming

Post Thanks / Like
    In my mind, a wiki structured similar to the build manual would be best. My company hosts an internal wiki, and it's a great resource. In my mind, the wiki would have a separate article for each major step of the build. For example, there would be an article for the cooling system, wiring, brakes, etc. As people come up with alternative techniques, or build with alternative components, they could add their info to the article. Forum moderators would approve changes.

At least this is what sounds most effective to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by beartoothweb View Post
    I realize FFR is charging right now for the electronic build manual on the MKIV. It seems that the best wiki approach, however, would actually be to create a base WIKI with the build manual, which is not editable, but then give the users the ability to augment (moderated, of course), each section. The challenge is guys like me, with the MK3.1, and not knowing if my approach for say, throttle pedal placement or headlight wiring might have changed. Those are probably bad examples, but you get the point.

FFR...thoughts on that?
    EXACTLY!!! This is the solution I have been pitching.

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    The best wiki won't just be a special forum with certified threads posted to it. There are so many gotcha's for the first time builder that the wiki should be organized loosely upon the build sequence with articles focused on each step. We need to have steps that are common to almost all builds, and provide branches off into areas where either customization is popular or where the various options available to us push in slightly different directions.

It isn't a small undertaking, but there is enough talent here and enough cold nights each year to really turn out something nice!
    Coupe #497 delivered 7/29/10. Engine in on 10/1/10. Pushcart on 10/4/10. First start on 12/01/10. First go-cart on 12/31/10. Finished and on the road as of February 2012.
    Coupe Body Buck Plans - My Spray Booth - Painting Lessons Learned
    Build site: www.bamacoupe.blogspot.com
    Lots of build photos and some observations: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53614858@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    I do agree that the wiki should be based on the manual.

It should be a compilation between the manual and the experiences of builders.

The electronic manual is likely worth a couple thousand in income a year to Ffr, personally it would be more valuable to them to make builds easier by allowing for their following to create a more complete online manual. Then again, I'm not collecting in manual costs...
    10 years after my roadster build....
    289 FIA (pickup 28/08/20 if covid permits)
    currently building a 289 and accumulating parts needed to finish a Canadian Kit.