Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best coupe mods

Post Thanks / Like

Best coupe mods

I have read through both forums and we are just finishing up our roadster and getting ready to start on the coupe. What i would like to know is what have been by far the best mods you guys have done so far?

We are getting a raw chassis so we can add some support. Mainly for cosmetic since its just for julie and she wont be racing. Would like some opinions on what to add?
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11
    Build thread: HERE
    Epic First start video HERE

Type 65 Coupe Ordered 01/17/13

Post Thanks / Like
    Even if you won't be looking to race it under SCCA or NASA rules, I would take advantage of the bare frame and do the following:
    1. Weld in fuel cell protection tubing. Very simple and probably adds substantial safety.
    2. Weld in a dead pedal mount for both driver and passenger.
    3. Move the upper steering shaft bearing mount to the right spot. I had to add material and move the holes 3/4" to the left.
    4. A tow hook in the front, coming out of the aluminum panel, gives it a nice race car look and may some day be useful.
    5. Make the top of the transmission tunnel removable to facilitate access and installation.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have not seen the issue with the steering shaft. I need to look into that. Thanks!

I know someone offered nice tow hooks for these, any leads?
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Make the top of the dash easily removable for service or mods.

The Nut

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by turbonut48 View Post
    Make the top of the dash easily removable for service or mods.

The Nut
    Agreed two piece dash is a must

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mike, if I was doing a coupe I would include the side impact bars like Karen has. Even on a street coupe. You might have a conversation with her to see what mods she has done...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    from what i understand, her car is not down here right now? But i should contact her as I would really like to see it.
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Get Russ Thompson's pedal and pedal covers plus his scoop window kit. Consider some remote door poppers.

Get high back seats, as the roll bar behind the passengers is too far back to just pad it and hope for the best in an accident.

Get some seat tracks. I imagine MrsQSL's driving position will have the seat further forward than mine, and it'll be easier to get in and out if you can slide the seat back to do so.

You all did some great work with the roadster. Pay it forward a little on the Coupe side during your build by figuring out a good way to get the doors and windows sealed up against the weather.
    Coupe #497 delivered 7/29/10. Engine in on 10/1/10. Pushcart on 10/4/10. First start on 12/01/10. First go-cart on 12/31/10. Finished and on the road as of February 2012.
    Coupe Body Buck Plans - My Spray Booth - Painting Lessons Learned
    Build site: www.bamacoupe.blogspot.com
    Lots of build photos and some observations: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53614858@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the comments.

I have my eye on Russ's window kit, also pontoon covers and turn signal.

We did order high back seats.

Adjustment is definately on my mind because she is short and thin and i am tall and fat. Plus i tried to get into a coupe once and it was NOT pretty. For julie the setup would need to lift her up too? Booster seat? LOL.
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what the passerager side footbox is like on the newer ones. but a dropped floor like the dirver side would be nice if it's not there.
    I have several of Russ's items. radiator cover deal, pontoon covers, door dills, daytona emblems, throttle peddle. I really like his stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed on the stuff from Russ. Can't go wrong with any of it.
    You will also want to consider a cabin divider. It makes the trunk area a lockable storage and helps maximize the A/C efficiency.
    Also get better mirrors for the doors as the bullet mirrors are pretty useless and get a wide view mirror for the interior.
    Pay close attention to sealing off the passenger compartment from the engine bay. There are lots of nooks and cranny's around the foot boxes.
    Insulate the hell out of the interior for sound and heat. It will make the driver much more comfortable.
    And....
    And....
    ;o)
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on what seat track/seat combination you use, she'll be sitting an inch or two higher than those of us that bolt the seat directly to the floor.

The seating position is pretty similar to the roadster, so if she can see well enough in the roadster then she should be fine.

Someone mentioned mirrors. Pete Brock (www.bre2.net) sells some spiffy ones. A little out of my price range, so I went with some motorcycle mirrors. d2moto.com was the site where I got mine, though the exact model I bought is no longer listed. If you go with motorcycle mirrors, you might think about having them painted body color. It's a nice touch for those that have it.
    Coupe #497 delivered 7/29/10. Engine in on 10/1/10. Pushcart on 10/4/10. First start on 12/01/10. First go-cart on 12/31/10. Finished and on the road as of February 2012.
    Coupe Body Buck Plans - My Spray Booth - Painting Lessons Learned
    Build site: www.bamacoupe.blogspot.com
    Lots of build photos and some observations: http://www.flickr.com/photos/53614858@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    scott she for sure wants the partition.

Darkpt, we have kirkey lowbacks mounted on their brackets to the floor on the roadster. It fits me perfect but she can barely see over the dash... We purchased the high back versions for the coupe. If i cant drive it easy, its not a huge deal since the car IS hers, but it would be neat to take it out on "test" drives. lol!!

What about under hood treatment. I know Mike W. did his and it looks great. I would love to see a documentated build doing that. Or other ideas to smooth out under the hood too?
    MK4 delivery 12/17/11

Post Thanks / Like
    Mike -
    Thanks for posting this question. I am watching this one for ideas, too!

I got the air conditioner from Richard at North Race Cars... others have this unit.

-wayne
    Ordered Type 65 Complete Kit Aug 29, 2012 - The 50-50 $ale!
    Standard Width IRS; Halibrands - 17x9, 17x10.5
    Kit Arrived: Oct 9, 2012; Build Started: Oct 28, 2012
    WordPress: http://wayne-yoshida-kh6wz.com/
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/waynetyoshida
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/kh6wz?feature=results_main

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't find the mirrors listed that I got from D2moto but they are very similar to these:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/bikemaster-.../p2030800.jcwx
    It's never too early to start beefing up your obituary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QSL View Post
    from what i understand, her car is not down here right now? But i should contact her as I would really like to see it.
    Lots of great ideas here already....The 3-piece dash is a must, as are the cell safety bars. Now that we have the side impact bars spec'd out and sourced, they are a must do too. .....Make a removeable or opening access panel over the drivers footbox for ease of access to clutch and brake.

My car is in So Cal...Enjoyed following your roadster build, and looking forward to watching your Coupe build.

Karen
    Last edited by vnmsss; 01-19-2013 at 11:03 AM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have made too many to mention. All are documented on my build site. The easiest to adapt to others coupes is the brackets for hood locks.
    Type 65 Coupe Builder / Coupe Parts Vendor

Websites:
    myCoupe Build
    F5Registry

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribing... good stuff so far!