Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Horsepower needed/wanted for a '33 vs. Driveability

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cool Horsepower needed/wanted for a '33 vs. Driveability

OK guys, need some opinions from those of you who have built 33's. I ordered my kit today. I am putting a SBC in mine. I have the propensity for overkill when it comes to motors. I am not used to a car this light. That being said, with a 3.29 8.8 rear, 18x10 rear wheels, and a 700R4 automatic, how big should I go with the motor to keep me from completely breaking traction everytime I put my foot into it, especially while in motion as opposed to hole shot. I was considering building a 383ci/430hp but like I said, is probably not going to be driveable from a traction standpoint. Any opinions are appreciated...except Ford ones

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    18x10 is a big wheel and you might have clearence issues unless you run a very low profile tire. I run 20x10 with a 40 series tire (29" tall) and had to make modification to get enough clearence.
    Last edited by Arrowhead; 04-07-2013 at 07:20 AM. Reason: oops, made a mistake on my wheel size

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    you could use a traction control system like racelogic as alot of the gtm guys are using. full use of the power you have, however much. it would really help in a light car when caught in the rain too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am running 285/35ZR18 Sumitomo HTR Z II on the rear, they are 25.85 high and 11.22 wide, and 235/40ZR17 Sumitomo HTR Z II on the front, 24.40 high and 9.25 wide. I bought some from Summit and did not pay attention to the heights and I had them all screwed up, so after a $100 return fee, I found http://www.wallaceracing.com/tire-aspect-calc.php and it is a very cool app that calculates the tire sizes. I should have plenty of clearance and with a 3.29 rear, I should still be able to boil them at will with the 383. You all are going to get very sick of hearing from me, asking questions, posting pictures...I am in love with this project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carbon fiber View Post
    you could use a traction control system like racelogic as alot of the gtm guys are using. full use of the power you have, however much. it would really help in a light car when caught in the rain too.
    Just would need one of those super steering wheels with buttons on it....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maczter View Post
    with a 3.29 8.8 rear, 18x10 rear wheels, and a 700R4 automatic, how big should I go with the motor
    Even a stock crate 350 will easily break traction at will. IMO, there's no such thing as too much power, only not enough control. Go as big as your wallet will allow.

Quote Originally Posted by maczter View Post
    You all are going to get very sick of hearing from me, asking questions, posting pictures...I am in love with this project.
    That's the way it's supposed to be. If you don't love it, you probably chose the wrong project.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I posted this in another thread, but thought I would share it again....my motor on a stand and the builders

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpoUp...ature=youtu.be
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

My build blog: http://jacks33hotrod.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running 18X10s with an 8.8 with 3.27 gears / 453 horse and 450 torque, The car sticks surprisingly well. Also running fenders and have plenty of clearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of modifications are necessary for a 29" tall tire?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running 295 X 35 X 18 26" tall

Post Thanks / Like
    Today builders are putting insane HP in the roadsters, so why not the 33? For drive ability the 350 would be fine, but knowing there is an additional 200hp available, priceless!
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Agreed, I went with a 430 horse 383 SBC, 3.27 gears and 27" tall tires. I think it should be a fun ride.
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

Post Thanks / Like
    U.S. NAVY SEABEE CONSTRUCTION MECHANIC (RETIRED)

Post Thanks / Like
    Im looking at fitting a 550HP big block 427 to mine, backed by a 4L85, not sure how long the 8.8 moser will last though ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I am considering a turbo'd LS based LQ4 6.0 for my build. Has anyone done this? Is there room to do it?

Post Thanks / Like
    if you are 3.29 don't put a high rev cam in your motor I am running a z363 with a aod and 3.31. in over drive at 55 the engine is at 1200 rpms in third its at 1500. my motor is all wrong for that . I am going to 4.10 . right know I drive in second gear most of the time . if you already have the trans and rear make sure you build to work 1200 and 3500 rpms . and by the way you never have enough hp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BlownGT View Post
    I am considering a turbo'd LS based LQ4 6.0 for my build. Has anyone done this? Is there room to do it?
    I have a 434 LSx and was wondering if the iron block will unbalance the car? Motor is built and with twins puts right at 1800 to the crank. I am thinking to drop the FI and was considering turning it down to 500-600 rwhp NA. I am also considering going back to a basically stock short block cammed LS1/LS2/LS3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not bad on the balance, many of us are using iron block motors. The tank, battery and driver helps with the rear weight.
    FFR HR #530

Post Thanks / Like
    Going with 5.0 Aluminator XS @ 500HP and 6 speed. Looking at the gear to RPM + MPH i may need to use 4.56 in back. Any one have ideas on this?
    Ford IRS comes with 3.55 and that puts me to low in RPM, so will have ring and pinion changed.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My C-4 Corvette has 3.55's and I turns around 1,600 @ 70 MPH in 6th which is a .50 over drive.
    I'll be running the same transmission with 3.73's in my MK-4 very soon.
    Both cars run a 26" tall tire (285-40-17 Nitto 555)
    The math puts that one at 1,700 @ 70 MPH.
    Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Some folks are going a bit insane-o!

Rob Warren's 33 - Best in show, HB 2015:

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    Some folks are going a bit insane-o!
    Rob Warren's 33 - Best in show, HB 2015:

David
    I know that probably has too much bling for your tastes but I like it so can you tell us where to find out more about that ride.
    I'm pretty sure it has enough HP for the O.P. to like it too.
    Dale