FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My WRX Donor car with EZ30R 6-cylinder.. :)

Post Thanks / Like

My WRX Donor car with EZ30R 6-cylinder.. :)

I thought I would share a bit about the donor car I am using for my 818S build. If there are any nasioc people in here they will probably recognize the car since it is one of the first and few WRXs running the EZ30R.

The car is a 2002 WRX that I purchased in March of 2001 (one of the first WRXs shipped into Portland). Over the years I have had 14+ different engines, starting with a complete JDM RA Spec C swap (EJ207 plus JDM 6 speed). As the car sits now the axels, hubs, transmission case and diff are JDM Spec C (which will be compatible with the 818 as the hubs are pretty much the same as the WRX). I did swap out the JDM 5th and 6th gear with the 04 STI 5th and 6th (which are a bit longer).

Back in 2007 I swapped in the EZ30R 6-cylinder 3.0 platform. This is the same engine as used in the Tribeca as well as the later Legacy 3.0. I rebuilt the engine with custom rods, pistons, valves, springs, and bearings to support a boosted application. The EZ30R is a drop in to the WRX chassis in terms of engine and transmission mount. It is a bit longer, but not by much. Overall height with the plastic manifold is about the same but a big higher with the cast manifold I have on the car right now.

While I can't tell for sure, I suspect I will be able to get this engine to fit in the 818S. Obviously the 818 was designed for the 5-speed, so if needed I may consider switching to a built dog box 5-speed. The car right now is running he Hydra, but I will probably switch to the ViPec on buildout. The ViPec has the correct control mechanisms for both the variable lift and the variable valve timing.

The EZ30R engine is an interesting beast…

It fits nicely in the WRX chassis:

With the GT35R turbo I have on the engine right now it makes about 540 lb-ft of torque and 500whp.

Needless to say, I will have traction problems. I'll be using a Racelogic traction control system ( I have on on my GTO) to try to dial in some of the slip. For those that hae not used the Racelogic system, it is a perfect application for this chassis.

Jeff Sponaugle

Post Thanks / Like
    You may (or may not) have to do some serious modifications to the rear chassis of the 818s to fit the 6cyl engine. Best of luck with your project, it will be a beast if you accomplish it.

Post Thanks / Like
    IIRC, the 30R is only 3/4" longer than an EJ. And that's probably in just certain spot, not the whole end. Those spots can probably be dealt with fairly easily. I really hope you get this working, because I would LOVE to build my 818 with an EZ36 (same physical size).

I live in Eugene, so please let me know when I can come help!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Nice 1st post!

Welcome to the forum.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bnr32jason View Post
    You may (or may not) have to do some serious modifications to the rear chassis of the 818s to fit the 6cyl engine. Best of luck with your project, it will be a beast if you accomplish it.
    Agreed. It may be a very tight fit, or require some small modifications. The engine isn't that much longer, but the extra bulk near the top of the valve cover and cam area may be problematic. Obviously it is a bit heavier as well. I suspect the area that will need the most custom work is the headers. It is hard to see from the current pictures how much room there is on the bottom side. My current headers are a custom weldup that is actually a bit shorter then the factory header layout. Once I have a closer look, I think a twin turbo setup might be easier to fit.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum. Nice piece of machinery you have there.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very sweet setup, I am very interested in what your up to, that looks sick in your engine bay, I would find it hard to take apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice car. I look forward to hearing about the traction control setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just chop the frame and add a few inches

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sponaugle View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    I would find it hard to take apart.
    Agreed... It would break my heart to destroy such a beautiful machine!!!

PS I'd love to see this car in person when i'm in PDX in august. Assuming it's not chopped by then.
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 04-26-2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: such not suck lol
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    Agreed... It would break my heart to destroy suck a beautiful machine!!!

PS I'd love to see this car in person when i'm in PDX in august. Assuming it's not chopped by then.
    ++1. Don't do it man! Just get a wrecked WRX and have both. If you get bored with the 818 later, you can always do the 6 banger swap down the line. This WRX is far too beautiful to tear down. perhaps at the very least you could put the engine goodies in the 818 from this car and put a EJ207 back in the rex.

Post Thanks / Like
    It finally hit me who you were. The name was so familiar, but I couldn't place it. You've made lots of posts on NASIOC motor build threads regarding pistons, different OEM shortblocks, etc.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be watching this thread closely. I would love to do a NA EZ30 or EZ36 so I'm interested to see what all needs to be done to get the engine mounted.

Post Thanks / Like
    540 lb-ft of torque, in < 2,000 lbs. Damn.

Ever seen someone dump the clutch and flip a bike out from under them? Ever seen that in a car?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrums View Post
    ++1. Don't do it man! Just get a wrecked WRX and have both. If you get bored with the 818 later, you can always do the 6 banger swap down the line.
    Add me to the list of people who think this. I really, really want to see someone pull off an EZ in an 818 but it just seems wrong to destroy that beauty.

Post Thanks / Like
    If someone has an EZ they are willing to donate to the cause, *I* will happily volunteer to take on this challenge!! <-- I'm being serious.

I have been keeping my eye open for cheap H6 donors, but they are all going for too much (and there isn't NEAR the market for parting out those cars), AND I'd still need an Impreza for a lot of the other parts, PLUS engine management. All that doesn't include things I might run into that need solving. It's all just a bit more than I can afford...

Post Thanks / Like
    I say run with it jeff!!! I can't be the only one willing to do something crazy around here!! lol

-Matt