Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Starting a New Project

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Starting a New Project

With all of the talk lately from everyone trying to get maximum height from their garage door I started looking into a high lift kit. What I found is that the large majority of these kit are for 7' doors and raise the height of the door about 2'. Our garage has a little more than 10' ceilings and we currently have 8' high doors. The track kits that are available are reasonably priced but for our door I would have to have a custom one made. On top of that, their kits require new drums and cables plus a new spring. This stuff adds up quick. I had the idea that if I added a section of straight track in the middle of the 90* section of track it would keep the door away from the roller drums and cable. I only need to go up 14" and really don't need the door to go any higher in the opening. I tried a couple of the local garage door companies around here and just to order a small section of track was going to cost me $80. Online I go with CC in hand. I found a set of 7' tracks for $48 including shipping. Just the start of the latest project, I will update as I go along. I also have a really cool way of making my overhead opener operate as a side mount opener. Stay tuned.

I ordered these on Monday and they arrived this afternoon. Nice cardboard tube they came packed in.

And out of the box, ready to be cut, bolted and welded.
    Last edited by frankeeski; 05-24-2015 at 07:44 PM.
    Frank