Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  23

Thread: Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build

Background: Grew up in SW Minnesota/NW Iowa. I’ve been following FFR since the mid-1990's. I have many old brochures, but somehow lost my original DVD (bummed!). I grew up with the original forum (ffc0bra), and it felt like my second family, despite having never met anyone. Over the years I have built several motorcycles, done car and truck projects, done trackdays, built a 347 stroker, and owned a 2002 Mustang GT for a while that could have been a donor. Still, the FFR seemed like a distant dream; something to be done once I had a nice big shop and the disposable income that this car would require. Nothing stifles a car guy’s enthusiasm like suffering through northern winters, so finally I said enough is enough and moved south. Traded my diesel 4x4 pickup in and bought a new 2017 Mustang GT and started autocrossing it with the local club. During one of those events, who should casually show up for some racing but our own Erik Treves with his recently built FFR Daytona Coupe… and thus, my desire to build a FFR was reignited. Next April I finally placed my order with FFR. Intended usage: Daily driver, HPDE/track, and autocross, drifting, etc. The 2019 season ended with another jacket for winning the regional CAM-C class in my Mustang. Building the Coupe-R and racing a Mustang... Life is good!

June 29th 2019, Stewart calls with the "I'm an hour away" warning. I rushed home from work to receive the car I'd been dreaming about. Including the delivery guy, there were six of us working together to check off the boxes as they came out of the truck, and set the chassis onto a small trailer for transport over the long uphill gravel driveway. Once onto the concrete, we slid the chassis off the trailer and onto a dolly I had built, and pushed the entire thing with all the boxes into the garage.

My chassis was on display at the FFR Open House 2019!

I don't have any sort of deadline for a specific race entry or anything, so it’s not a rush job for me. I prefer to do things right the first time around, with the fewest possible reworks or surprises. As such, I spend as much time researching as I do building…or so it seems. I’ve been accused of over-engineering a lot of things....which is 100% true. Anyway, I’ll make posts to update with pictures and detail my build process until this thread is caught up to my present build status.

Logan’s Gen 3 Coupe-R:
    Gen 3 Coupe-R (chassis serial #170)
    Gen 3 Coyote (2019 Mustang GT donor engine)
    QuickTime bellhousing
    Tilton twin-disc clutch
    Tilton billet chromoly steel flywheel
    Tremec T56 Magnum
    IRS with 3.73 Torsen differential
    Driveshaft safety loop
    Wilwood brakes
    Hydraulic handbrake
    KRC hydraulic power steering (still intrigued by EPAS/electric)
    Shocks TBD (FFR Koni reds for now)
    Spring rates TBD (FFR 750F/400R for now)
    Swaybars TBD
    Front aero (race bumper, canards/dive planes, hood vents, and splitter)
    Bottom aero (flat floor, side vents, diffuser)
    Rear aero (dual-element wing)
    Air jacks with mobile nitrogen setup
    Fire suppression
    AiM MXP display/logger
    Fixed high-back seats
    6-point harnesses
    Heated seats
    Heat and air conditioning
    Windshield wipers
    Fixed side windows
    Carpet
    Under 2,900 lbs (hopefully)
    305-315 front tires on 11-12” wheels
    335-345 rear tires on 12”-13” wheels
    Last edited by Logan; 11-12-2020 at 05:07 PM.
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

2. Likes Grkmf3 liked this post