Quote Originally Posted by jforand View Post
Very nice looking! I love how simple and clean it is. So you are saying that the oil pump in your transmission had a tap into the discharge and that it was is going up to your cooler? That is super slick. Do you have any insight as to how much flow can be safely diverted? I remember talking about your scavenger pump you had to slow down which I guess was on your 5 speed. My first thought on these pics was how do you pick up oil half way up the case? A 'free' oil cooler, so much easier than adding a pump with the plumbing and wiring.
Its not that there is tap, its even better than that! In the pre 08 transmissions with an internal oil pump, 100% of the fluid from the pump exits the case and is routed through an external steel line. It re-enters the case near the front. In the pic below you can see the external line pointed to by red arrows. So hooking up an external cooler is super simple. Just remove the external line and replace it with the correct sized banjo bolts and plum in your cooler.

I have never use that style of AN connector. It looks like barbs, but I do not see anything holding the hose onto the barbs like a compression ring....Are they pressure rated or are you just banking on very low pressures?
The connectors are called push lok. They are great, push on and reusable. They are rated for 400 psi, no compression ring needed, I use them for everything. You do need the correct push lock type hose though. Summit Racing has a great selection.

Also in looking back at your open trans picks I do see the circular oil router piece in the left over output shaft race. It looks like that is the same idea as the piece that is behind the gear bolted into the tail housing. It puts oil into the shaft center. The lower one for the pinion shaft we both cut off handles the needle bearings (no longer in play). I think my output shaft was solid but I'm thinking your must have had something on it with a bleed hole or two. I looks like that is probably unnecessary now unless you think the size of the orifice actually holds some back pressure providing flow elsewhere. I would think behind it looks very similar to the same size hole, which is what mine has.
My shaft was hollow for oil flow. But, behind that plastic ring there were drilled oil passages that diverted flow to the left and right sides. Yours did not seem to have those passages. If I removed the diverter and the race the oil flow would have never gotten to those left and right passages so I left it in.

These are some of the reasons people prefer the older 6 speeds. The built in pump and ease of adding a cooler make it a better trans for hard use.