Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: A few CA equipment questions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

A few CA equipment questions

I have a few questions about what's required to register a roadster in CA. If anyone has a document from the CHP (or the relevant agency) outlining what's required, that would be very helpful. My specific questions are:

- Do I need wipers? I would opt not to install them if they're not legally required.

- Do I need backup lights? I'd probably install them anyway, but I'm on the fence at the moment.

- Do I need DOT-approved safety harness?

I know that many folks have gotten away with not having these things in CA because the inspector didn't look for them, but my luck being what it is, I'm sure my inspector would look for them so I'd rather plan for them now and have them if they're legally required, rather than trying to retrofit them later.

With regard to the harness, I'm guessing the answer is no, because the FFR-supplied harness is not DOT-approved and I've never heard of anyone being turned away because of them. The only DOT-approved harness I'm even aware of is this one from Schroth:

https://www.schrothracing.com/item/p...tion-harnesses

If DOT approval is not a requirement, I'd prefer to use this cam-lock harness from Simpson (with the rotary buckle and 2" shoulder straps for a HANS device for track days):

https://www.simpsonraceproducts.com/...amlock-harness

Thanks,
    John
    Last edited by JohnK; 06-26-2020 at 01:20 PM.
    MkIV Roadster build: Gen 2 Coyote, IRS, TKO600. Ordered 10/24/18. Delivered 1/29/19. Engine installed 8/8/21. First start 9/12/21. First go-kart 9/17/21. Off to paint 4/11/22. Back from paint 12/30/22. Build thread here.