Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  11

Thread: What goes above my axle?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

What goes above my axle?

I'm at a point in my build where I'm doing my best to follow the assembly manual, but there's some design criteria where I'm marching to the beat of my own drum, not FFR's. Case in point, my fuel system.

I'm going carb'd, but I want to set up everything so a switch to FI will only require a pump and regulator swap, and maybe rerouting some short lengths of fuel lines.

For now I've got the hard 5/16" fuel line run but just terminated close to the filter, and in the engine bay around the angled side of the passenger footbox. I'll be running the 1/4" return line as well the same way but terminating closer to the fuel tank pickup.

Since I'm carb'd I'll be putting a Holley Mighty Mite down by the main 4" frame rail on the passenger side. No need for a regulator because they're self-regulating, and can provide enough for 400hp. My plan was to just run some soft 5/16" line from the filter, down to the Holley, then back up to the hard 5/16" line to feed fuel forward. I'd just cap off the return line since it's not used. Here's a pic:

But going forward, if I go EFI I'll most likely end up using an external pump and filter affair. What I'd like to do is build an isolated plate where the pump and filter mounts to this plate that's fixed to the chassis above the axle on rubber isolation posts to keep noise and vibration down. I'm dealing with this location:

You can see the outlet of the filter and the inlet of the 5/16" hard line going to the engine bay. There's about 6" of clearance above the upper control arm, with little vertical travel towards the front and full suspension travel towards the back of it. I feel like I can fabricate this fuel pump/filter plate and stash it above the front of the upper control arm hanging down from rigid members of the chassis. Is anything going in this vicinity, based on a typical MK4 build of course?

I'm also putting my battery in the engine bay.
    Last edited by MB750; 01-10-2023 at 09:47 AM.