Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rearend Prep

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rearend Prep

From donh5599:

is it ok to cut off the quad shock mounts and upper control arm mounts to dress it up a bit?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    YES, it has been done many times when using the 3-link assembly from FFR. Also the spring mounts can be removed if using coil-overs.
    Doug
    Last edited by 68GT500MAN; 06-17-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see removing the quad shock mounts as long as you're upgrading/using a set of coilovers.

But I don't know how you could remove the upper control arm mounts and actually use the rearend in a car. How would the power be transferred to the chassis if the control arms aren't attached to it?
    Thanks,
    Will
    Last edited by luvaz; 06-17-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typo
    FFR MK III picked up 9/24/05 Roller 9/28/05 First start & go-cart 11/28/05 red w/white stripes, PC Chassis, heat/defrost, FFR 15's, pwr footbox vents, radio delete, dual quad 427W, 4 link w/3.27's, Koni's all around, Gen 1 rag top, snapless tonneau, Herb's door panels, NRC rear discs, Breeze head rest, ********** emblems, Paint by Gino's in Rowley, MA
    2011 ffcars.com calendar Cover Car Yes, that's me in the avatar with Dave Smith in front of my roadster at the '06 FFR Open House!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvaz View Post
    I can see removing the quad shock mounts as long as you're upgrading/using a set of coilovers.

But I don't know how you could remove the upper control arm mounts and actually use the rearend in a car. How would the power be transferred to the chassis if the control arms aren't attached to it?
    Thanks,
    Will
    3 link doesn't use those mounts unless you add the VPM support bracket to the one side.
    Mike............

FFR2100 - 331 with KB supercharger - T5 - 5 link rear 3.08's and T2 Torsen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the clarification.

Clearly my set up is a 4 link and they are most definitely needed for that arrangement!

Hopefully, the OP was asking about a 3 link...

Thanks,
    Will
    FFR MK III picked up 9/24/05 Roller 9/28/05 First start & go-cart 11/28/05 red w/white stripes, PC Chassis, heat/defrost, FFR 15's, pwr footbox vents, radio delete, dual quad 427W, 4 link w/3.27's, Koni's all around, Gen 1 rag top, snapless tonneau, Herb's door panels, NRC rear discs, Breeze head rest, ********** emblems, Paint by Gino's in Rowley, MA
    2011 ffcars.com calendar Cover Car Yes, that's me in the avatar with Dave Smith in front of my roadster at the '06 FFR Open House!