FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power steering: starting from scratch...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Power steering: starting from scratch...

We've decided to ditch the manual steering for the anni MKIV build and therefore I need input from you guys as to which rack to get. I started looking at racks from Summit... Oof, the flaming river unit is expensive! Is it worth it? Here's a list of choices I found in a search:
    http://www.summitracing.com/search/y...c-power-assist

I'll also be getting the pump as part of the new motor setup. We're thinking of going all in with a nice March pullt system and would like a pump with the appropriate bling factor.

Recommendations?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I got this one from Breeze, its 3 turns lock to lock.

http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=445

I decided early on to go with power steering / brakes and hydralic clutch to make it very easy to drive.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwho View Post
    I got this one from Breeze, its 3 turns lock to lock.

http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=445

I decided early on to go with power steering / brakes and hydralic clutch to make it very easy to drive.
    X2 on this rack. I've got it on my Mk4 build. 3 turns was what I was looking for. It's a Unisteer rack that Mark has made up and drop shipped to you from the factory. Nice quality, silver powder coat, perfect for our builds. It's a good compromise between the high dollar AGR/Flaming River variety and the generic reman ones from the local parts stores IMHO. (Not that there's anything wrong with either).

Looks like this:
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    David,
    Some builders invest a bunch of money into high end pumps and racks but allow me detail the other end of the spectrum which I've done on 3 different roadster builds now. This can can be completed for under $400 using reliable OEM components along with aftermarket mounting hardware and plumbing.

Steering rack; choose one:
    ---Autozone #64163; 2.25 turns lock to lock $75+$18 core =$93
    ---Autozone #6439; 2.5 turns lock to lock $75+$18 core =$93
    ---Autozone #6406; 3.0 turns lock to lock $54+$20 core =$74
    The 3.0 turn rack is my recommendation for a street/occasional track car. Use the quicker versions for cars that will see serious autocross and track duty.

Power steering pump:
    ---Autozone #6383 with reservior $45+$24 core =$79

Mounting bracket and pulley:
    ---CFR Performance bracket #HZ-4306 $55
    ---CFR Performance pulley #HZ-02011 $40
    CFR also offers entire pulley and bracket sets in various anodized or powder coated finishes as well as polished or chrome for a fraction of what a comparable March set will cost. I've used them on two builds; they work well and are a great value.

Hoses and fittings:
    ---1) Breeze #70516 P/S rack AN adapters $26.00
    ---1) Breeze #21514 P/S pump AN adapter $13.00
    ---2) Breeze #21523 Straight AN hose ends $15.00
    ---1) Breeze #21524 90 degree AN hose end $17.50
    ---4 FT. Breeze #21102 Braided Teflon hose $19.60

Do a little searching on this as well as the other forum and you'll turn up plenty of discussion on the power steering topic, much of it I've participated in. If you prefer a little less assist you can trim the relief spring until you get to the desired level then forget about it. I use my car on the track a lot and run the quick 2.25 rack in conjunction with an adjustable Heidts valve to regulate the amount of assist (full boost on the track, reduced on the street). If you go this route the valve and additional plumbing will run in the neighborhood of $150.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Check Breeze's PS pump too. It's GM style so less chance of noise. He has a lot of mounting options.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Going a little off topic but regarding noisy Ford PS pumps; I've got 3 roadsters out there that have logged 20,000 plus miles and the only time you hear anything from any of them is when the wheels are turned to full lock and held there. Am I just lucky?

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is a Pantera, but I am converting mine to power steering using a raq which is being sold as a conversion for the MG which uses an electric pump. The length of the pivot was wrong and I modified and was able to achieve zero bump steer:

Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot depends on what you plan to do with your car. If it's essentially a street car, there's no reason not to use basic stock Ford parts from Autozone, just like Jeff said. They work just fine in a Mustang and will easily last 50K miles.

But I spend a lot of time on the track. I went with the high end parts, and spent big bux on racing components. Why? Durability. Road racing puts a huge strain on components. Standard stock parts become the weak link in the system. They're fine for the street, autocross, drag strip, and the rare open tack day.

If you blow a hose or burn a pump on the street, you just limp on in to the nearest Autozone and swap the parts in the parking lot. Easy and cheap. If that happens on a tack day, you've lost the rest of the day and probably the rest of the week end. So I spent big bux on the best quality racing components I could find.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, in the last issue of Mustang Monthly Mark has a good article on replacing the power steering in a Fox Body (86-93) Mustang. He lists a source for a rack and pump.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the help guys. It seems weird asking such basic questions!

OK don't shoot me for asking this... Do I need rack extenders for a MKIV?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    ... Do I need rack extenders for a MKIV?

For an OEM Mustang rack, yes.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    For an OEM Mustang rack, yes.

Jeff
    What about the breeze rack? Is that considered OEM? What about the more expensive racks like Flaming River? Would they already be in the manual rack I got as part of the kit from FFR?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    What about the breeze rack? Is that considered OEM? What about the more expensive racks like Flaming River? Would they already be in the manual rack I got as part of the kit from FFR?

The Breeze PS rack is the standard Mustang OEM width, so requires rack extenders if you want the wider width. In the picture of the Breeze rack I posted (#3 above) you can see it has the longer boots because of the rack extenders I installed. Don't know about Flaming River, but I would guess not. The manual rack from FFR is a custom piece made for them by Unisteer, and has the wider spacing. So no rack extenders required.
    Last edited by edwardb; 03-05-2014 at 12:04 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.