FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: coyote intake

Post Thanks / Like

coyote intake

Have you coyote guys fixed the intake space problem yet??? I saw a C&L Cold air Intake at American Muscle. Will that work and fit?
    Last edited by LuckyWinner; 03-28-2011 at 05:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I won't take a good look at that until the engine is in the chassis. I'll take some measurements and see what Wayne suggests. All the MAF adapters they show have a square flange, but the Coyote MAF is in the cold air tube itself, so those square ones won't work for us. Wayne has already started his "thinking" process on this so I'll wait until I give him some measurements.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    They say its made for the 2011 coyote and have a pic. I will keep up on Wayne's post.

Post Thanks / Like
    JLT will sell just the aluminum portion of this intake. According to them, this will fit the coyote MAF sensor as well. IIRC, it was around $90 89mm and $150 for the 110mm aluminum portion. Then you'd need a filter and fittings to connect to the coyote throttle body.

Edit: It looks like you could use the collar from C&L as well, assuming they'd sell it separate from the whole intake.

Last edited by ClemsonS197; 03-28-2011 at 08:42 AM.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys - if one of you could help me (as I'm seemingly a dope) by giving me a clue how to post a picture in a thread, I would love to take a couple of pictures of what I did to solve the intake problem. Thanks guy!

Post Thanks / Like
    The 3rd button in from the right in the "Quick Reply" area is for "Insert Image." You need to save you image on a free photo hosting site, like Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/

Upload your image. View your image. To the top right of the image there is a row of buttons starting with "Action." Go to the far right down arrow and click it, which will bring up a column of options. Choose "Grab The Link." Copy and paste this into the FFR website reply box "Insert Image."

Good to go.

HTH.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can also save the photos in your gallery here on the forum. I am not sure how much space everyone has, but if you go into 'my profile' and then gallery you can create and save pictures there and then link them as JG suggested.

_Scott

Quote Originally Posted by JGPierce View Post
    The 3rd button in from the right in the "Quick Reply" area is for "Insert Image." You need to save you image on a free photo hosting site, like Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/

Upload your image. View your image. To the top right of the image there is a row of buttons starting with "Action." Go to the far right down arrow and click it, which will bring up a column of options. Choose "Grab The Link." Copy and paste this into the FFR website reply box "Insert Image."

Good to go.

HTH.
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    According to FFR these parts were used for the Coyote install in the '33. I was forwarded the details for our now cancelled Coyote Coupe build. I would assume you could use them for the Roadster as well.

Spectre Performance Part Numbers
    9705 – Mass air meter tube
    9781 – 90 deg. elbow
    8138 – Air filter

HTH...
    Mark
    Modified Mustangs & Fords Project Snake Charmer

FFR5310 Mk 3 Roadster
    Tungsten Gray/Silver Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mark,

Thanks for the part numbers. I'm doing a 2010 4.6L 3V and the setup is pretty much the same. I posted how I installed the drive-by-wire pedal on Davids build blog.

I like the look of the SP filter as its much smaller.

What I can't find though is a shorter tube that connects to the oval of the engine intake. The one that comes with the kit is rather large Would you have a part number that fits?

Thanks.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a shot of the intake setup I did. It's a 35 degree elbow with a boss that I welded on for the MAF and a tube that I machined and welded on to receive the fatory breather tube. Thanks for your help with the pictures.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry guys, it looks like I dont quite have the picture thing figured out yet. I will keep trying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another try. I have also included the link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61318852@N03/5583708970/[IMG]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61318852@N03/5583798970/[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting. Is that long enough to allow the MAF sensor to get a good reading with laminar air? It looks like the air would be extremely turbulent.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Pictures

FlickR is not showing the HTML code. Some info is below:

The HTML code to embed a photo in a web page that you used to find on the All Sizes page is now only in the Share menu above the photo, to the right of the Actions menu. We now also include BBCode! (standard message board code)

There are a few cases where the code may not be available: 1) If the photo is restricted. 2) If that person has turned off "Share this" or access to original files.

Post Thanks / Like
    JG Pierce,

Thanks for getting the photos up! I will get the hang of this yet!

ClemsonS197,

As far as the laminar air flow goes, I'm not sure yet. although the location is very close to the engine the actual MAF sensor location isnt all that different from that of the stock cold air box. With the stock box the air flow comes through the filter and then directly into a 90 degree elbow where the sensor is located. If it doesn't run well at go-cart stage and it isnt helped by recalibration moving the air filter away a bit may be in order. I'm sure im not the first one to say it here, but if it's worth doing one then its worth doing twice! As always thanks for all the help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that length is fine. The sensor won't care how much pipe is in front or behind it. As long as there isn't any turbulence the sensor will pick up the flow just fine.

It's actually nice that there aren't any bends. I'm no expert on roadsters but hopefully underhood temps won't be an issue with that shorty sucking in engine bay air. I'm from FL so temps are a concern of mine. Initially I thought a CAI would be nice... but the air here is never cold, so what cold air would it take in anyway? :lol:

I already know I'm running an oil cooler and remote oil filters for sure. Too bad there isn't a way to leverage that hood scoop.

I'm just about to get started parting out my car this week to make room for a roadster. Hopefully there will be a complete bolt-on solution for the Coyote 5.0 motor soon.
    Chris
    Mark IV Roadster #7679
    Coyote 5.0, T56, Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Torsen Diff, Wilwoods, Hydraboost, ABS Power Brakes, Power Steering, & tons more extras.