Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Any plans for a commuter friendly car?

Post Thanks / Like

Any plans for a commuter friendly car?

In light of Elon Musk's recent move to release his Tesla patents as open source, I started thinking about building an electric car using a kit car as a platform and after some googling, I ended up here.

I see that Factory Five has been working with EV West on a conversion kit for the 818 and some modifications can be made to better suit an EV build, but as others have mentioned, this would probably not be an ideal daily driver.

Are there any plans to produce a more commuter friendly car, something more along the lines of an Altima or Civic? Granted, they're not nearly as cool as race cars but it seems like there is a potentially huge market for it now...

Donnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm told a high mileage 818 version will be in the offing someday, but there is no timetable currently. Erik's electric build (I sent you a link via PM) uses the torque-monster motor and it's range is a lot less than could be accomplished otherwise.

FFR does have a soft-top option for the 818 and "curtain" windows now but no roll-ups and the hard top is still a way's out.

The Tesla announcement is interesting but brand new and I don't think anyone has done the research to see what it would take to fit those components in any FFR's.

Welcome to the forum, and who knows, maybe YOU'RE THE GUY who will carry the flag on a new setup!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Funny, I was thinking the hot rod might be the best daily driver but everyone would hate me for making a battery powered hot rod.

But then I see this:
    http://indefinitelywild.gizmodo.com/...1592983608/all

Clearly, somebody up there wants me to have a hot rod.

(^ how does that sound guys, think she'll buy it?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You should have a talk with Eric Hansen. He had a '33 and is just now finishing up an electric 818:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-the-body-work!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, how about that. I will, thanks again!