Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Transmission Nut socket size?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Transmission Nut socket size?

I don't have a socket large enough to remove the transmission nut behind the center diff. I can't get my calipers in there to measure it, but it seems to be 27mm. Can anybody confirm this?

Thanks!

Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds correct but it's been a while since I did mine, I can check when I get home from work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by STiPWRD View Post
    That sounds correct but it's been a while since I did mine, I can check when I get home from work.
    Thanks... I used an adjustable wrench head-on then checked with calipers; 27mm seems right, but there's quite a bit of slop measuring like that. I'll run out to Sears to pick one up and if it's correct, post for the record.

Post Thanks / Like
    if I'm not mistaken, I used a 1 1/4" socket. It was sloppy but hey, you don't need to use the nut again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the help; it is 27mm... a shiny new big Craftsman socket that I'll probably never use again!

You do have to re-use the nut, so I'm glad I didn't try a short-cut, especially considering I had to use the breaker bar to get it off; with my luck I would have rounded it off. Anyway, I got the trans converted to 2WD and went ahead and hooked up my K-tuned shifter!

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    27mm is actually a very common size. Often axle nuts, crankshaft bolts, and pulley bolts use it. Good socket to have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wleehendrick View Post
    Thanks for the help; it is 27mm... a shiny new big Craftsman socket that I'll probably never use again!

You do have to re-use the nut, so I'm glad I didn't try a short-cut, especially considering I had to use the breaker bar to get it off; with my luck I would have rounded it off. Anyway, I got the trans converted to 2WD and went ahead and hooked up my K-tuned shifter!
    I'm surprised it was that tough. Did you bend the indent in the crown back out before you tried to take off the nut?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz Skyline View Post
    I'm surprised it was that tough. Did you bend the indent in the crown back out before you tried to take off the nut?
    When I tried to bend out the safety dimple on the axle nuts, I ended up doing more harm than good, and replaced them all for good measure. The trans nut has four dimples, so I just torqued it off so the dimples were in good shape to hammer in when it went back together. In gear, wheels chocked to keep it from rolling back and it wasnt too tough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bumping this thread.

What should I be torquing the trans nut down to when re-installing?

Also, the upper race is still in place and seems perfectly content to stay put. Tips on removing this thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I looked up torque in the FSM; don't remember off the top of my head. Don't forget to punch the safety dimples back in. My upper transfer gear bearing race came out easily with bare hands. If you don't take it out, it'll probably work it's way loose. Try chilling it?

Post Thanks / Like
    One of those, why didn't I think of that moments.

For future searchers, it appears to be 87 ft/lb according to page 232
    http://ken-gilbert.com/wrx/mans/4%20...ANSMISSION.PDF

Tonight is supposed to be ridiculously cold. I'll check the bearing race tomorrow morning to see if it'll be more cooperative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Tonight is supposed to be ridiculously cold. I'll check the bearing race tomorrow morning to see if it'll be more cooperative.
    Temperature difference is what might help pop it off. I was thinking to apply freeze spray or ice on the steel race so it thermally contracts more that the cast aluminum tranny housing. If the entire assembly is cold soaked, it might actually be tougher to get out.

I just got back from a walk on the beach with my wife. It's 80 degrees here on Valentine's Day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metros View Post
    Bumping this thread.

What should I be torquing the trans nut down to when re-installing?

Also, the upper race is still in place and seems perfectly content to stay put. Tips on removing this thing?
    If it won't come out by picking at it, you may need to remove the transfer case part of the trans housing and try knocking it against a piece of wood. That should jar that race loose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Try two strong magnets, and walk it out.