Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Future 818 builder from San Diego

Post Thanks / Like

Future 818 builder from San Diego

Hello everyone, my name is Reiss and I am a die hard subie fanatic. I replaced or repaired everything in a Subaru and I was just about to venture into making a high horse power motor when I got shyed away by the cost and reliability. I've made my mark in the San Diego Subaru community (offering all my help/labor for free) and really didn't want to give up on subies, but then I stumbled upon the FFR 818.

Honestly, it almost seems too easy on paper, but I know that won't be the case once I actually buy, receive, and start to build my kit. I need to finish or sell off the projects I currently have in order to build the funds and free up room in the NFG Garage. The goal is to have the car completed and have the paperwork done with CA reg and VIN by 1/2/17.

So, I will be super active around here looking at everyone's builds, mostly with the 818 but I do get inspiration when looking at others craftsmanship.

Oh, and the biggest thing with my build is that I want it to be a true $15k (not to exceed $15k) sports car. I'm close with a Subaru specific junk yard, aka Heaven on Earth, that's only 30 mins from my house, so I should be able to get better deals on most donor parts than others would.

See ya around!
    -Reiss
    Last edited by NFG Reiss; 08-26-2015 at 08:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!,
    Before you buy parts come on by my house. I've got a lot of extra parts, and I want to clear them all out.
    You can also check out my recently completed 818.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Reiss, I take it that you plan to piece together donor parts individually from the junk yard? Or will you be stripping down a donor vehicle? Many (including myself) have recouped much of the cost by selling unused donor parts. Buying parts individually will be the more expensive route IMO. There is also the cost of shipping the kit to CA.

Building a $15k 818 is possible but you'll have to consider the trade offs such as reliability of older parts, lack of performance upgrades, etc. Just some stuff to think about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum.
    Doug
    Built FFR5196 MKII in 2003, 427w
    Building FFR0058HR, Edlebrock 347-AOD

Post Thanks / Like
    @matteo, Yeah man I'd love to check out your 818. Any inspiration I can get I will greatly appreciate.

@stipwrd, I do plan on buying a full donor 06-07 Wrx. As soon as I purchase and receive the kit I will be seeing if my subie junk yard guy with do some sort of partial sponsorship by just helping me source a rear ended total lose Wrx and picking it up for me for cheap.
    But that's that dream goal, plans will change based on supply.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Reiss, the forum can always use another person who knows their way around Subies.