Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Experiences with FFR GPS Gauge Set?

Post Thanks / Like

Experiences with FFR GPS Gauge Set?

I'm considering the GPS gauge set but for some reason relying on GPS for accurate speed just makes me nervous... maybe just because I haven't had any experience with having to rely solely on GPS for that. I'm looking for some thoughts on how that speedo performs. Can anyone share their experience with that versus the direct link?

Thx!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have 20k miles on my Speedhut GPS speedo and no complaints! I have the transponder mounted on top of the DS FB aluminum, under the fiberglass cowl. Works Great!
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thumper24 View Post
    I'm considering the GPS gauge set but for some reason relying on GPS for accurate speed just makes me nervous... maybe just because I haven't had any experience with having to rely solely on GPS for that. I'm looking for some thoughts on how that speedo performs. Can anyone share their experience with that versus the direct link?

Thx!
    Very limited experience for me because I only have about 55 miles but I think it is great. I store the car in a basement garage so when I first power up it takes about 30 seconds to find the signal. When I start outside after that it comes very quick. I can think of zero reason you should not go with gps.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I have all of two miles on my Speedhut GPS speedo, so my recommendation doesn't have a lot of data. But these comments: I too found it acquires in about 30 seconds. Not bad. But it also has a "hot start" circuit that you can wire to an always on +12V source that provides enough current to remember the last position. Then it acquires in seconds. Basically once the car is running, you can see the speedo is ready to go. The current draw for this function is rated by Speedhut as almost nothing (25 micro-amps) and won't affect battery life. The Speedhut GPS speedo also has several cool features built in: Satellite time, elevation, direction, peak speed, 0-60 time, 1/4 mile time. No messing around with a speed sensor or calibration either. Just put the magnetic base antenna somewhere and you're done. I too can't think of a single reason not to use it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, makes me feel more confident with that option, thanks for the feedback guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am still in the planning phase, and the gauge option is one area I am still struggling to make a decision on. I can not decide between the modernness of the Speedhut GPS Gauge Set or the originality of the classic Smiths Gauge Set. I realize there will be a higher cost with the Smiths Set, when the GPS Set is only a $399 option on the Complete Kit. From what I can tell, the Smiths Set will require quite a bit more work to install. Do you guys have any other pro/cons for one to consider? Part of my consideration is resale-ablity of the Roadster. Thoughts?

Thanks.
    Juan
    St Louis, MO

Post Thanks / Like
    I came to find out late in the game you can customize the gauge faces on the speed hut gauges with some nice options. Knowing what I know now I would have ordered directly from them instead of from FFR. I am going to be sending all my gauges in to speed hut and have them refaced for a more custom look that will match my paint. Just something to consider if you desire to do something custom.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by juanfmc View Post
    I am still in the planning phase, and the gauge option is one area I am still struggling to make a decision on. I can not decide between the modernness of the Speedhut GPS Gauge Set or the originality of the classic Smiths Gauge Set. I realize there will be a higher cost with the Smiths Set, when the GPS Set is only a $399 option on the Complete Kit. From what I can tell, the Smiths Set will require quite a bit more work to install. Do you guys have any other pro/cons for one to consider? Part of my consideration is resale-ablity of the Roadster. Thoughts?

Thanks.
    Juan
    St Louis, MO
    I would make the gauge selection based on what you want, how they look, features you're looking for, etc. I personally don't believe resale value is really in the equation as long as they're working.

It was nice treat installing the Speedhut GPS speedo in my current build. No messing around with speed sensor wiring, calibration, etc. But honestly I probably wouldn't make a decision on that basis alone.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I came to find out late in the game you can customize the gauge faces on the speed hut gauges with some nice options. Knowing what I know now I would have ordered directly from them instead of from FFR. I am going to be sending all my gauges in to speed hut and have them refaced for a more custom look that will match my paint. Just something to consider if you desire to do something custom.
    As an example of how you can customize Speedhut gauges:

image.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cgundermann View Post

image.jpeg
    Yes thanks for posting. The very way I came to find out about customizing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll call them later this week when it isn't a somewhat major holiday, but did they give you a ballpark cost for sending them in? I love the functionality of the gauges so I added them to my order, but the look leaves a bit to be desired.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterfubar View Post
    I'll call them later this week when it isn't a somewhat major holiday, but did they give you a ballpark cost for sending them in? I love the functionality of the gauges so I added them to my order, but the look leaves a bit to be desired.
    Lots of options so cost can vary. What I wanted to do was $2-300. I thought that was pretty reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of options so cost can vary. What I wanted to do was $2-300. I thought that was pretty reasonable.
    Thanks. That does seem reasonable. I'll definitely be looking more into it once I have colors and everything else nailed down.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...Knowing what I know now I would have ordered directly from them instead of from FFR.
    If one was to order the Complete Kit, can you order it without gauges? Does FFR give you a credit, or do you have to order kit with "14010 – Modern Gauges: Autometer Ultra-Lite Gauges" and try to sell them?

Post Thanks / Like

image.jpeg
    Wow, those are cool. Very nice looking. Thanks for the example, certainly helps to see the possibilities on a set of real gauges. The Speedhut Site does a good job of letting you see what the gauges will look like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Juanfmc, I did just that. I was unsure of which direction I wanted to go with gauges. I will probably go with the gps units. Being that I was torn on the subject I had them remove them from my order. They issued me a credit which I in turn used for the headers. They will credit you. The only thing they wouldn't remove from my order was the roll bar. I had a lead on a stainless one and didn't want to order one. Being that they had to ship one with the kit I went ahead and got there chrome one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by juanfmc View Post
    Wow, those are cool. Very nice looking. Thanks for the example, certainly helps to see the possibilities on a set of real gauges. The Speedhut Site does a good job of letting you see what the gauges will look like.
    Like Wareaglescott, I'm not doing a traditional or nearly authentic build. The gauges really pop with the carbon fiber dash...

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Usudno View Post
    Juanfmc, I did just that. I was unsure of which direction I wanted to go with gauges. I will probably go with the gps units. Being that I was torn on the subject I had them remove them from my order. They issued me a credit which I in turn used for the headers. They will credit you. The only thing they wouldn't remove from my order was the roll bar. I had a lead on a stainless one and didn't want to order one. Being that they had to ship one with the kit I went ahead and got there chrome one.
    Nice! That's good to know. I didn't realize you could change the order like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like Wareaglescott, I'm not doing a traditional or nearly authentic build. The gauges really pop with the carbon fiber dash...

Chris
    Yeah, I can't wait to see your finished product!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Usudno View Post
    How much do they credit you?