Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  18

Thread: #9196 475hp 347 MK4 Roadster Build (Insurance and Plates)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The engine was put on a dynomite sea and land unit that was built for boats and car engines. Bob has adapted the dyno to allow him to work on Cobra cars as well as his boat business. This is my engine sitting next to the supercharged big blocks he builds. Can you say 1000 horsepower!

20171202_000642 by Brandon Fertig, on Flickr

Once on the dyno we pulled several runs to get the engine broke in and warmed up. We got it over 3000 rpm and heard a rocker arm. I had to go in and tighten one more rocker arm because it was overlooked on the attempt to correct earlier problems with my setup. We did a few more pulls but found one more hiccup. We had to fix another mistake of mine with the harmonic balancer vs the timing light. They were not in sync and we had to make new timing marks to find TDC and 0 degrees. Once bob corrected it he made pulls at 28, 30, and 32 degrees of timing at WOT. This is with his exhaust system which is essentially no mufflers. The car made the following power outputs.

Peak
    hp/tq
    450/460 @ 32 deg
    470/440 @ 30 deg
    474/439 @ 28 deg

We data logged and saved it at 28 degrees with an afr of 12 at wot. We could not believe it. High fives and laughter all around. We made over the 450 hp mark. I thought at one point it would only be 430 hp based on my fox body experience. I knew the crappy 5.0HO manifolds held people back but WOW.

Next we wanted to run my setup with stock ffr sidepipes. Bob welded in the bung and I got all the exhaust apart off the dyno runs we just made. I couldnt stop smiling. I mean this engine is making 475 hp! I would have never imagined it was possible with just 5900 rpm.

20171202_172531 by Brandon Fertig, on Flickr
    Last edited by TexasAviator; 12-04-2017 at 10:53 AM.