Quote Originally Posted by GroundPounderSATX View Post
Did anyone having issues with the windshield cracking have to retap the holes for the visors?
These holes should have been tapped after the chrome process was done and before the windshield was installed. FFR shrugged it off when I asked about this and said I would need to purchase another windshield as mine cracked on the last hole I had to retap. Also doesn’t seem like the glass is cut properly to fit in the channel. The glass was up in the channel behind the hole so as soon as the tap touched it, it cracked.
Unfortunately, that's an all too common failure mode. You're right. The glass is right behind the holes and gasket for the visors. Not a matter of being cut properly. The design puts the glass right there. Touch the glass with a tap or too long screws, and... well you know what happens. But in my experience, it's not necessary re-tap the threads. The problem is the FF visors come with 6-32 flat head mounting screws, but the threads in the windshield aren’t 6-32. At least the ones I’ve done. They’re M3 metric threads. I've found M3 x 0.5 mm go in perfectly. They need to be the exact right length and not any further than just inside the frame. My local Ace had some M3 x 6mm long SS screws. But I found a better choice at McMaster. 90258A173 are 5mm long and a nicer looking oval head. Using a pin gauge, I measure each hole and take a little off the end of each screw so they go in only as far as necessary. Install with a little blue Loctite. The other thing some do is not use those holes but mount the visors off the channel along the top of the windshield.