BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  16

Thread: What does (your) Factory Five mean to you during this Covid-19 pandemic?

Post Thanks / Like

What does (your) Factory Five mean to you during this Covid-19 pandemic?

I've been thinking about this for a few days now and how to express my thoughts adequately.

My original post was going to be more of a monologue about my own personal experience, but then I got to thinking about how it's not just the cars, but perhaps more importantly the role the "community" has played in my well-being.

So this thread is about and for anybody reading this post, not just me.

Spring is a time of hope, whether you observe it from a religious perspective or just the re-awakening of life after the dead of winter. So maybe it's apt that one of the things FFR cars and the FFR community offer is hope.

If you own a FFR car and are in the process of completing your project:

That is hope.

If you own an FFR car and you're looking forward to getting out driving again, meeting up with friends, going to shows, etc.:

That is hope.

If you dream of owning a FFR car and you're captivated, dare I say inspired, by others that have gone before you and what they've accomplished:

That is hope.

So thank you all for every post, every photo, and every bit of encouragement, opinion and advice.

It gives all of us, (including me) hope during this difficult time.

On social media I've remarked about the positive aspect of keeping busy (or distracted, LOL) to help pass the time.

I thank my lucky stars that I started towards my goal of building a FFR car well before this crisis. For me part of the plan is to rebuild my own engine for the car.

So as we while the days of self-isolation away getting my workspace ready, stripping down the engine and researching/coming up with a build plan for it is what's been keeping me going. I truly think that having this project is one of the things that's keeping me grounded and sane right now.

So that's it from my garage, looking forward to hearing all of your thoughts as well.

2. Thanks Al_C thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For me, it's an escape pod. Working from home means long days without anything to break up the scenery. I live in a rural area, so keeping distance is easy. The open air and rumble of the engine are like therapy.

My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

4. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
    Likes narly1, EZ$ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something to look forward to on the weekends and get away from the madness and anxiety

6. Likes narly1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately I have to still come into the office to work. So on my days off I’m getting a little cabin fever at home. But I’ve been driving the Cobra in to work and its nice to make the 100 mile trek with absolutely no traffic. Like Papa said in an earlier post "the open air and rumble of the engine are like therapy." Here is a video of my commute in traffic before Covid-19:

https://youtu.be/OqGFOCcwRg8
    build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-USRRC-vspeeds

Build School: July 14-16, 2017
    Kit purchased: July 25, 2017
    Kit delivered: September 13, 2017
    First Start: December 22, 2018
    Body painted and kit completed and drivable: July 2019 (but still not done)
    CA SB100 Registration: January 2020

Mk4 - 289 USRRC Roadster kit, Roush 427SR with Schneider Racing custom camshaft, Fitech EFI, TKO600 (.64-5th gear), 15" wheels, stock brake calipers, under car exhaust with Spintech 7000 muffler, no roll bar, Russ Thompson turn signal, removable steering wheel, and many other small upgrades and modifications

8. Likes Fixit, narly1, Papa, EZ$ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was kind of hoping to hear from more "project in progress" members and how having one of these cars on the go is making their current situation more bearable.
    Last edited by narly1; 04-22-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since these cars are never really done, it's a respite from all the noise, worry, and constant drum-beat of bad news. I disappear into the shop to tinker on things (even though this will be it's sixth summer on the road) and as the weather gets nicer here in the midwest, I'll be able to take it out for cruises on backroads. This car is something of a time machine, as it always transports me back to a simpler time..... which is now more important than ever to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

11. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
    Likes narly1, Kmcallahan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am in the middle of my mk4 build and it is definitely keeping me busy in these times.

13. Likes narly1 liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Some people have Therapy Dogs, but I seem to have a Therapy Chevy Cobra.

Sanding & panel gapping makes for a great escape from my daily work duties.

https://youtu.be/po1Bb2_XDDk

15. Likes narly1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in NYC with my wife and have a place in the Hudson valley. I am getting close to four years of building on the roadster mainly finding a few hours on the weekends. Now we are both working from home outside the city. It is amazing how much I can accomplish when it is not just weekends. Always looking for the positive and the positive for me is more time to finish this project.

17. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cfriedman67 View Post
    I live in NYC with my wife and have a place in the Hudson valley. I am getting close to four years of building on the roadster mainly finding a few hours on the weekends. Now we are both working from home outside the city. It is amazing how much I can accomplish when it is not just weekends. Always looking for the positive and the positive for me is more time to finish this project.
    Awesome another Hudson Valley builder!

19. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great days for a quick trip to the "Cube" atop Mount Umunhum! 15 miles of tight, twisty, smooth, new road with a great rhythm to it.
    MtUmunuhm1.jpg
    818S #332, EZ30R H6, California licensed 01/2019

21. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    A great project to do other than watching TV after work for me!

23. Likes narly1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, I definitely would be using my MKIII during this time to cruise the coast to tamp down the insecurities of life in isolation! But it has been down for over a year since I've heard her roar to life. She broke down the week I lost my job last April and between 4 months of unemployment and a reduced salary at my new job I have not had the $$ to invest in a new EFI (the old fox-era computer is kaput). And now with the quarantine I am working from home so I see it every day.

Sitting there.

Under a cover.

Waiting.

So right now what does my MKIII means to me? Well, it's a dream, once again. Sitting right there in front of me. Waiting for me to get enough $$ together to fix her. Waiting. Like a deserted lover, begging for attention.

Soon, my dear, soon. I miss driving her so much!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

25. Thanks narly1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Freedom!

27. Likes narly1 liked this post