Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Brand New to the Forum (Type 65 Coupe R)

Post Thanks / Like

Brand New to the Forum (Type 65 Coupe R)

Hey all,

I’ve been a fan of FFR for many years, but have never been in a position to pull the trigger on a kit. Well, after nearly 27 years in Law Enforcement I’m staring down retirement in just over a year. Seeing that I will only be 50 when I retire I needed something to do, so in 2018 I started a track day company in the southeast. (MaxSpeed Track Days and I host high performance driver education events.)

Basically just building it up over the last two years so I can run it full time when I retire from the day job. This hobby/twilight career has opened many doors in the automotive and racing hobby and now I find myself with my own automotive shop, complete with lift. (The MaxSpeed Garage Club.) Being a car guy my whole life I had the tools to fill it.

Sorry for the long intro, but this brings me to my point of wanting to build a Type 65 Coupe R to be my primary track day car and an amazing marketing tool for my company. That chassis with IRS and the running gear from a 5.0 Coyote with Mustang brakes, etc... makes a very appealing dedicated track weapon with fairly low cost consumables. Or at least those are my thoughts and what has led me here.

I look forward to the feedback from the FFR community, as I have found other forums, (Chaparral Boat Owners and The Miata.net) forums to be an invaluable resource over the years.

Thanks for letting me join and I look forward to learning a lot!

Phil

2. Likes RoadRacer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the madness Phil. Let the journey begin...

Henry

4. Likes MaxSpeed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Phil!

I am in northern Alabama, building a Coupe-R. You’re welcome to come check it out if you’re local. My first start was a few weeks ago, and I’m already hustling to get it ready to race it at an autocross for shakedown, as a rolling chassis with no body! Want to get at least one event before the end of the year so I can have that data to work with during the off-season.
    Logan's Gen 3 Coupe-R Build
    Ordered 4/23/19 | Delivered 6/29/19 | First Start 8/1/20 | First Drive 9/20/20

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Logan,

As it turns out I have in-laws in north Alabama. Killen, Florence area. We pass through Athens all the time going back and forth, so I may take you up on your offer. I’ll take a look at your build thread and see what I can learn.

Thanks,

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard. I am also in Alabama. Where is the track day club located out of?
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

8. Likes MaxSpeed liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Phil, that sounds like a great retirement plan!

(and welcome back wareaglescott!)
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

10. Likes MaxSpeed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome MaxSpeed and thanks for your service...

12. Likes MaxSpeed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you!

We’re located in North Georgia and currently have 2021 dates booked at Roebling Road Raceway, (Jan. & Aug.) plus one at Carolina Motorsports Park. (Feb.)

We will host all over the southeast as we grow and I’m looking forward to feedback, advice, etc... as I research building my first FFR kit!
    Last edited by MaxSpeed; 10-21-2020 at 07:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks! I’m looking forward to learning from all of the community here.

Post Thanks / Like
    You’re welcome and thanks for the appreciation!